Summit's Southern Caribbean itinerary advice

spunke

Heading out on the Summit this December and I have read as much as I can on the Island page. Would appreciate any advice on things to do beaches to see and places to go; at Dominica and Grenada- We have never been to either and would love some suggestions. Usually we head out on our own rather then take an excursion but we are open to any advice.

Thank youhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Heading out on the Summit this December and I have read as much as I can on the Island page. Would appreciate any advice on things to do beaches to see and places to go; at Dominica and Grenada- We have never been to either and would love some suggestions. Usually we head out on our own rather then take an excursion but we are open to any advice.

Thank youhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Without checking, I am not sure if your ports are the same that we had in April. In St. Croix, several people from our roll call joined together to do a private excursion with Big Beards going to Buck Island and then to a private island for a beach BBQ. It was wonderful ($99 a person if memory serves me correctly).

Grenada -- we took a taxi to LaSegesse. We were the only people there. So much better than having a ship's excursion or going to Grand Anse (been there before).

Dominica -- some did an excursion with Woody (see ports of call board below) and had a good time. We were shut out of this one because he was booked months in advance.

Tobago -- our roll call got together and arranged transportation to the national park as well as a glass bottom boat/snorkeling excursion ($15).

Sounds like the same that we did last year we did big beards in St Crouch St Kitts we a driver for island tour driver then dropped us at South Friers beach great place called the monkey bar great drink called monkey sex . Dominica River tubing with An Tours

Forgot about St. Kitts in my earlier post. We took a taxi to the Marriott and did the day pass thing. From now on, we will just go straight to the beach and not pay for the day pass. You can look up my posts to see why.

We did the Southern Caribbean cruise on Summit last December; fantastic week. There is a photo review link below.

We loved Dominica and would strongly recommend a tour with Levi Barron; it was an amazing day. He's a super nice and very knowledgeable guide. It was definitely the best day of our trip!

Was not overly impressed with Grenada. I could easily have skipped the nutmeg, rum and chocolate factories. Not much to see there. I would advise checking the Ports of Call boards too.

We've done 2 Southern itineraries - one on the Connie and one on the Adventure of the Seas.

In Grenada, we did a Spice Tour with Mandoo Tours. Mandoo was WONDERFUL. It was the first time we've ever booked an independent tour and he sold us on it. He was very knowledgeable and for the beach portion of the tour, he actually took us to a more remote beach (wish I could remember the name) with no tourists (except us). The "restaurant" we went to for lunch was right on the beach and was actually someone's house! Homemade local food at a place only the locals would have known about - and so yummy!

In Dominica, we booked a tour through RCI and wouldn't do it again - BORING! I should have gone with my first instinct and booked with Levi Baron's tours. I'm sure we would have learned much more about the island and had more fun and my kids wouldn't have been as bored!

Enjoy your cruise! I'd love to do another Southern itinerary, but next up for us will be Alaska in 2013.

Dominica...the best private tours are with Woody or Levi Barron. Levi will take you to the usual tourist places, Woody will take you off the Beaten trail. I loved both tours, but if you want to see things no one else will see, pick Woody.

Levi: http://www.bumpiingtours.com/ To see what the tour is like go here and start at the 1:50 mark...

Woody: http://woodydominica.com/ To see what this tour is like, go here and start at the 5:10 mark

Grenada...I highly recommend a tour with Mandoo. Mandoo offers many tour combinations, but I really enjoy his hikes to the waterfalls!

http://www.grenadatours.com/

To see what this tour is like, go here and start at the 6:20 mark

The tour continues here...

Have fun!

BILL:)

We booked with Levi Baron in Dominica and absolutely loved him and the tour that he gave. One of the highlights was swimming in the underground cave where they shot a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean. I would highly recommend Levi!

St. Croix - Big Beards was fantastic as others mentioned. http://bigbeards.com/

Dominica - For the more adventurous.... check out Extreme Dominica http://extremedominica.com/ this was amazing and worth every dollar. Highly reccomended. I believe there is a good thread on the ports of call pages with pictures. I'll be posting youtube videos soon.

Grenada - went to Grande Anse beach. Short 10 minute water taxi from the pier and one of the most beautiful white sand beaches on the itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked with Levi Baron in Dominica and absolutely loved him and the tour that he gave. One of the highlights was swimming in the underground cave where they shot a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean. I would highly recommend Levi!

Is this the one where the current sort of takes you into the cave? Is it hard to swim to get back out? Thanks. We are also doing the Summit in December

I agree that Levi Baron of Bumpiingtours in Dominica is great! We have toured with his company both times we were in Dominica, once with Levi and once with his associate Garry. Levi does a great job of matching your day with your interests and appetite for physical exertion. Titou Gorge is the site of the scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, and Levi made sure that even the non-swimmers in our group were able to see it.

The cave that we went into had a gradual walk into it with no current. It was very easy to get in and out of although the water deeper in the cave was over your head so you had to tread water or hold onto the walls for support. Some people climbed onto a small ledge in the cave and then had fun jumping into the "pool". It was an"awesome" experience!

You did need to wear something on your feet, however, because it was rocky walking into the cave.

Is this the one where the current sort of takes you into the cave? Is it hard to swim to get back out? Thanks. We are also doing the Summit in December

We did the tour with Levi last year and had a fantastic time. The current and water level in the cave apparently varies significantly with rainfall. There had been a very heavy rainfall early in the morning and the current was initially too strong to go into the cave. Levi rearranged the tour and we visited the cave in the pm. The current was very strong pushing out of the cave, but Levi made sure all who wanted to were able to get in with his help.

Probably the single best tour I have taken in the Caribbean.

Dominica - For the more adventurous.... check out Extreme Dominica http://extremedominica.com/ this was amazing and worth every dollar. Highly reccomended. I believe there is a good thread on the ports of call pages with pictures. I'll be posting youtube videos soon.

I have to second this - "canyoning" in Dominica was the BEST excursion we have ever done (spent our day with Richard in March 2011). Keep in mind, what goes down, must come back up (meaning, the hike back up/out of the canyon was work!). :o

We did the tour with Levi last year and had a fantastic time. The current and water level in the cave apparently varies significantly with rainfall. There had been a very heavy rainfall early in the morning and the current was initially too strong to go into the cave. Levi rearranged the tour and we visited the cave in the pm. The current was very strong pushing out of the cave, but Levi made sure all who wanted to were able to get in with his help.

Probably the single best tour I have taken in the Caribbean.

Here's a photo of Levi and one of the others on our tour. If you do this excursion, be sure to bring a waterproof camera. We didn't but luckily someone else kindly sent us their pictures.

2025545320104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived