(Yet another) power strip question

beachbum53

I know someone will have the definitive answer to this question. Among the list of items that may (or may not ) be confiscated, I found this information (in Carnival's FAQ section):

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

What do you do if you have more than one or two rechargeable items that need to be plugged in, such as a cordless razor, cordless toothbrush, etc.? Has anyone recently used a device like the "Belkin Mini Travel Surge Protector" and not had it confiscated? If I have such an item (in my carry-on), would I need to go to the Purser's desk to have someone determine if it poses a hazard (especially if it is in like-new condition), or leave the rechargables at home and "rough it"? While my PVP at Carnival has been very helpful, I'm not sure even she could answer this one for me.

Unfortuantely it's the screeners who make the decision on what is hazardous. There seems to be no consistency, rhyme or reason to what defines hazardous. It seems from recent reports that every screener has different criteria they use. Some have had new in the box strips removed and some have gotten thru with the same one they bring year after year. The best advice is to bring a brand new one and hope for the best.

I have always taken a new (in the box) power strip in my carry-on and it's never even been looked at. Maybe I've just been lucky (re: kroozers statement about hit and miss with the screeners). Some sort of multioutlet device is essential for us - too many things that need to be charged or powered and one outlet won't cut it.

I always take a small 3-outlet power strip and it has never been questioned. Has anyone tried out travel power adapters to use the European outlet in the room? I was given a set of power adapters at an IBM seminar but have never been sure enough to try them out in the cabin.

If it is in good condition you should not have a problem.

I'd like to think so, however, I wouldn't want to assume so. You know the saying about the word "assume". I'm hoping someone from Carnival would read this and give an "official" answer.

I'd like to think so, however, I wouldn't want to assume so. You know the saying about the word "assume". I'm hoping someone from Carnival would read this and give an "official" answer.

That is highly unlikely. The answer is what you quoted from Carnival's website. They can confiscate anythhing they may deem a safety hazard. But from firsthand experiences posted here, you should not have any problems.

That is highly unlikely. The answer is what you quoted from Carnival's website. They can confiscate anythhing they may deem a safety hazard. But from firsthand experiences posted here, you should not have any problems.

Sorry, I guess I should have specified "official" in regards to the Belkin Mini, since it is self-contained, with no extension type cord, has a built-in surge protector, and is pretty highly unlikely to cause a problem. Guess I'll have to rely on the experience of others and keep my fingers crossed.

I have personally travelled with a power strip for the past few years (cruises - Royal Carnival Princess and for land travel) and never had a problem. I pack it in the front pocket of my luggage nicely wrapped so if it has to be personally checked it is easily accessible.

I would just make sure its is a strip in good condition, without frayed wires and one with a surge protector. You should be fine.

Unfortuantely it's the screeners who make the decision on what is hazardous. There seems to be no consistency, rhyme or reason to what defines hazardous. It seems from recent reports that every screener has different criteria they use. Some have had new in the box strips removed and some have gotten thru with the same one they bring year after year. The best advice is to bring a brand new one and hope for the best.

Yep - inconsistency, Carnival is thy name!

Sorry, I guess I should have specified "official" in regards to the Belkin Mini, since it is self-contained, with no extension type cord, has a built-in surge protector, and is pretty highly unlikely to cause a problem. Guess I'll have to rely on the experience of others and keep my fingers crossed.

Those are very handy. We carry one (checked luggage) and have never had a problem with it being "suspect". :)

i-ztR2vfT-L.jpg

Tom

Those are very handy. We carry one (checked luggage) and have never had a problem with it being "suspect". :)

i-ztR2vfT-L.jpg

Tom

Love the picture! Does it fit in the space on the ship?

My problem is my charger plugs directly into the wall. With the plug Upside down from my charger configuration, it falls out off the wall.

The last cruise I traveled with a 2.5 foot industrial extension cord. It goes from one-three prong to three-three prong. This lets me twist the cord so my charger stays in the holes.

It was plugged in for my last 10 day cruise with no problems. It may be because I never had multiple items plugged in while un-attended or it may have been because it was industrial weight. In either case, it worked and I had no problems.

Hi. We just returned from a 6-day cruise on the Glory. We brought a full size power strip, with about 6 slots, I believe. We left it plugged in the whole time, and charged two phones, a mac Powerbook, ipod, who knows. The steward never said anything about it. I had packed it in my regular suitcase, just thrown in with my clothes. I don't think you'll have any issue. I think Carnival needs to make the statement about safety to give them wiggle room if they do spot an unsafe situation.

Enjoy!

Love the picture! Does it fit in the space on the ship?

My problem is my charger plugs directly into the wall. With the plug Upside down from my charger configuration, it falls out off the wall.

The last cruise I traveled with a 2.5 foot industrial extension cord. It goes from one-three prong to three-three prong. This lets me twist the cord so my charger stays in the holes.

It was plugged in for my last 10 day cruise with no problems. It may be because I never had multiple items plugged in while un-attended or it may have been because it was industrial weight. In either case, it worked and I had no problems.

Brought mine last cruise and would not fin in the outlet configuration..it was sort of set,back 1/2 inch

I took a new in the box Belkin mini travel in my carry on & didn't have any problems. I left it plugged in one day, my room steward just unplugged it & left in on the counter.

i-ztR2vfT-L.jpg

Tom

Thanks to everyone's input, especially teetee6263 and Tom-n-Cheryl. I have read several reports that on certain Carnival ships (don't remember which ones), some passengers had brand new extension cords and/or brand new power strips (the type with cords) confiscated. I'm guessing they were confiscated because they were cheaply made, not heavy duty, and could potentially over-heat. I like the fact that the Belkin's plug can be rotated 360 degrees, making it possible to fit into most any outlet. It just seems like the perfect gadget to have for travel.

Thanks to everyone's input, especially teetee6263 and Tom-n-Cheryl. I have read several reports that on certain Carnival ships (don't remember which ones), some passengers had brand new extension cords and/or brand new power strips (the type with cords) confiscated. I'm guessing they were confiscated because they were cheaply made, not heavy duty, and could potentially over-heat. I like the fact that the Belkin's plug can be rotated 360 degrees, making it possible to fit into most any outlet. It just seems like the perfect gadget to have for travel.

I think that most confiscations occur, sadly, due to poor (NO?) real education/training of the screeners. Most people who have something taken will not press to get it back. The last time they took my fan, I informed Guest Services that I would leave the ship if, prior to leaving port, they did not return my perfectly safe (nearly BRAND NEW) fan. I got my fan back... and spread the word as often as possible here on CC about their lack of consistency.

Yes, the fact that the 3 prongs of the Belkin device will rotate 360 degrees (in 90 degree increments) gives you 4 ways it can plug in. I have not found a situation yet where I could not spin it around and make it fit onboard.

Tom

I think that most confiscations occur, sadly, due to poor (NO?) real education/training of the screeners. Most people who have something taken will not press to get it back. The last time they took my fan, I informed Guest Services that I would leave the ship if, prior to leaving port, they did not return my perfectly safe (nearly BRAND NEW) fan. I got my fan back... and spread the word as often as possible here on CC about their lack of consistency.

Yes, the fact that the 3 prongs of the Belkin device will rotate 360 degrees (in 90 degree increments) gives you 4 ways it can plug in. I have not found a situation yet where I could not spin it around and make it fit onboard.

Tom

So, I like the look of the Belkin, where did you buy it? About how much?? Thanks,

So, I like the look of the Belkin, where did you buy it? About how much?? Thanks,

I have the Belkin (I think I learned about it on this site!!) - I think I got it on Amazon for about $18-$20 - love it!! Bringing it on our next cruise in 6 weeks!

I picked it up at Amazon (Oct. 2009):

LINK

Tom

We've always packed the power strip among our other electronic gear like the laptop and cameras. I have a feeling it would draw less attention from the screeners than if it is in a suitcase with clothing.

Your mileage may vary.

in terms of regular power strips, we have 3 rooms on last cruise....a power strip in for each room in someone's luggage.

1-power strip was confiscated, 2 were not.....

also had 1-box of wine confiscated while 4 other boxes were not (in the 6 checked bags)

so a few 1sts for us

RE: Belkin Mini. Does anyone know if the USB ports put out enough juice to charge an iPad?

It may, but it'll take a long time (maybe about 4x as long, assuming there is no power draw like a screen on).

The stats for it are:

5V / 500mA per port.

I believe the iPad, or other similar high power tablets are 10W 2100mA(2.1 amps).

I haven't had a problem carrying a power strip with me. I forget which one I have specifically, but it's one similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-31608-6-Outlet-10-Foot-Yellow/dp/B003E46MBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325737200&sr=8-1

Definitely heavy duty. I think mine is a 20 foot cord, has no problems running 10 amps, and is metal. I usually pack it next to my CPAP machine, so I have no idea if that has anything to do with the lack of issues or not.

Archived