Visiting The Keys before our cruise - recommendations

dmwalker613

We are staying in Miami Beach for 3 days before our Bahamas cruise in a couple weeks (on the Sky). We want to take a day trip and drive down the Keys, but not all the way because that's too much for one day. What are some must sees and how far should we drive for a day trip? Also, what should we do on one of our days in Miami Beach. We have a rental car.

There are lots of little places to stop along the way. I believe there is a Shell World. We stayed on Long Key then rode our motorcycles from there to Key West. Just past Long Key is a cute little restaurant we ate at, The Wreck. Further past that one is one called The Island. That one was a little more fancy, but delicious food. One we are gonna try next time is Boondocks. It looked like a fun place. Whatever you do, get cracked conch. I like it better than conch fritters. And gator bites.

Have fun.

There are lots of little places to stop along the way. I believe there is a Shell World. We stayed on Long Key then rode our motorcycles from there to Key West. Just past Long Key is a cute little restaurant we ate at, The Wreck. Further past that one is one called The Island. That one was a little more fancy, but delicious food. One we are gonna try next time is Boondocks. It looked like a fun place. Whatever you do, get cracked conch. I like it better than conch fritters. And gator bites.

Have fun.

Shell World just outside Key Largo is great! Spent lots of time in there while hubby was fishing. Bought wonderful sea shells for gifts and several smaller pure white starfish for ornaments on our Christmas tree.

This is an underwater marine park where years ago my husband and I did some of the best snorkeling of our life. You have to go out on a boat to the reef, and conditions have to be good (not cloudy). If you can swing it, you'll never forget it. Whatever you do, try to get out onto the water (and in it if possible). The Keys are beautiful!

Honestly, the drive from Key Largo down is beautiful even just the drive itself. In Key Largo there is a diner called Harrietts. Its been around forever and has good diner food. Tons of seafood places of course. I would just hop in the car and wing it. You'll have a relaxed wonderful time no matter what you end up doing.

I would try and drive down to Marathon. That way you will be able to see the 7 mile bridge. And the drive from Key Largo to Marathon is wonderful. There is a restaurant called the Cracked Conch in Marathon that has wonderful food.. there is no A/C in the place so try and get a table on the outside patio.

The 7 mile bridge is just south of Marathon. If you continue south past Marathon over the 7 mile bridge to Bahia Honda state park, I think it's worth it. It's a great little state park with hiking interpretive trails, and beautiful beaches. They rent kayaks and such right there, and there's a gift shop with small snack bar/ice cream.

If you really want to break the bank (but have a fantastic experience doing it) check out Little Palm Island. It's a very nice small scale resort at mile marker 28- you meet at the posh check in area, and are taken by boat to a small island with individual cottages for each guest. Staying overnight will run you about $800-$1200 a night depending on season, but you can also go just for dinner from the 5 star restaurant there.... the boat takes you over and you can dine on the deck, or actually ON THE SAND with tiki lights and everything. Dinner entrees are in the $50 neighborhood.... dinner for two with apps, dessert and a bottle of wine, tips is usually around $300 for us, but the experience is fantastic. Wonderful food, service, setting. They have a website if you're interested. They also do a Sunday brunch option.

Don't forget to feed the Tarpons at Robbies http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Personally I would stay in a hotel for one night in Key West

Key West is a easy 3 hour drive, leave at 7am. Stop in Key Largo, stop at the Bass Pro shop (if you like to fish at all). Stop at Bahia Honda, its a few miles past 7 mile bridge. You should be in Key West by 2-3pm. Check out Mel Fishers museum, watch the sun set at the square. The next day go to the Hemingway house. Their is so much to see in the keys, in two days you'll only get a small taste.

http://www.keywest.com/todo.html

One of the very few places in the keys with an actual sand beach http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bahia+Honda+State+Park&hl=en&ll=24.657958,-81.275654&spn=0.007713,0.0128&sll=41.117935,-77.604698&sspn=6.545273,13.106689&t=h&hnear=Bahia+Honda+Key&z=17

As many have said, a very scenic drive. Many, many good local restaurants. If you want to see the nicest beach in the Keys, go to Sombrero Beach in Marathon. Take a left at the stoplight just past Kmart and stay on that road past the Hight School. Free parking, change room, etc. Do remember, the Keys are not famous for their beaches asnd all the Keys are coral rock.

You can also opt for a glass bottom boat trip to the reef from Pennecamp Park in Key Largo. Have fuin.

I would try and drive down to Marathon. That way you will be able to see the 7 mile bridge. And the drive from Key Largo to Marathon is wonderful. There is a restaurant called the Cracked Conch in Marathon that has wonderful food.. there is no A/C in the place so try and get a table on the outside patio.

Thanks for making me remember the Cracked Conch

We are staying in Miami Beach for 3 days before our Bahamas cruise in a couple weeks (on the Sky). We want to take a day trip and drive down the Keys, but not all the way because that's too much for one day. What are some must sees and how far should we drive for a day trip? Also, what should we do on one of our days in Miami Beach. We have a rental car.

Go to South beach art deco food dancing beach....Dont forget to eat at Joes stone crab

If you rented a convertable, lol wear a hat and reapply sunscreen often on this drive! We drove from Miami to Key West in October on an absolutely beautiful day. We had rented a mustang convertable..OMG, lol even my eyelids were sunburnt! We had a blast though and the most memorable part was stopping on the roadside watching the sunset. We just picked a random spot where a few locals had thier lawn chairs set up fishing.

Archived