Double Denali

willow949

Considering a Alaska trip 14 days double Denali. What are the hotels like? Is food included in the land portion? Any reviews? Thinking of May 2018. Thanks
About 9 years ago the only included food was lunch on a Gold Dredge excursion and a lunch buffet stop on the bus ride from Denali to Seward. Our hotels were modern middle-class (e.g. Courtyard, Hampton Inn type) but some people got more rustic rooms at Denali.

Our rooms in Denali were of the rustic version, and in the hotel in Fairbanks we were in the older part of the hotel. I'm guessing it was because we had booked cabins on main deck on the ship. We did not take the food plan. Generally, we found restaurants where the food was reasonably priced and good quality.

We went this past May/June. We received lunch on the bus to Denali. We received lunch on the 7 hour Denali tour. All other meals we had to buy. The Lodge lobby area was nice. The best I can say about our room was an old neglected Motel 6 with worn out mattresses from Kmart. They describe it as "rustic". Others had to wait up to 45 minutes to get someone to come operate the elevator at night. These were mobility handicapped people.

Considering a Alaska trip 14 days double Denali. What are the hotels like? Is food included in the land portion? Any reviews? Thinking of May 2018. Thanks

I did the triple Denali June 2017. One bus ride lunch was included. Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage was excellent. Meal plan is available but not cost effective...better to just order off the menus.

Here is my photo review that includes McKinley Lodge, enroute to/from Denali, train, flying excursion, and bus tour of the park:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

Hope this helps in your planning.

We did the Denali/Yukon last July. I suggest buying your meals separate. In my opinion, the meal package is not worth it. The Capt. Cook in Anchorage was very nice. Fairbanks was just okay and I guess Denali can vary depending which lodge. We've only been there once and stayed in the Canyon Lodge at McKinley Chalet Resort. The lodge is the newest building there. Food was kind of high there but it's high everywhere. There is a fun dinner show at the Lodge in Denali where the food servers are the performers in the show. The food was very good and the show was kinda corny but very well done and we enjoyed it a lot. There are shops across the street from the lodges where you can also purchase a meal cheaper than the lodge if you prefer.

If you're on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, they provide with a box of well thought out snacks. You really don't need to purchase a lunch to take with you.

Have fun!!!

If you're thinking early to mid May, be sure to check to see how far the bus tour in Denali goes. If you get the really short trip (Natural History Tour, only goes to mile 30), you might want to re-think the cruiseline land tour and maybe booking the land portion on your own. I personally would not want to make such a long drive for a short trip into the park.

There is a fun dinner show at the Lodge in Denali where the food servers are the performers in the show. The food was very good and the show was kinda corny but very well done and we enjoyed it a lot.
We thought the Cabin Night show too corny, and the food mediocre at best. Also, we got stuck at the far end of the table from where the food was delivered and after everyone else had helped themselves the dish was often empty or just scraps when it got to us. We spent a good part of the time trying to flag down a server for a refill on whatever they had just brought. :mad: (This was 9 years ago, so maybe things have improved since then.) Edited by catl331

We thought the Cabin Night show too corny, and the food mediocre at best. Also, we got stuck at the far end of the table from where the food was delivered and after everyone else had helped themselves the dish was often empty or just scraps when it got to us. We spent a good part of the time trying to flag down a server for a refill on whatever they had just brought. :mad: (This was 9 years ago, so maybe things have improved since then.)

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. I think we're talking about two different things though.

I'm speaking of "The Music of Denali" in the theater in the square. I think the theater is also called Music of Denali Theater.

I gotta say, the food was so much better than I had expected being served like that.

We enjoyed both the show, the actors and the meal.

YMMV.

Happy cruising!

Too many negative responses here. I’ve been on HAL cruisetours many times. The hotels are fine. HAL has been updating their properties over the past few years. You are wise to choose a double Denali. You will probably stay at the McKinley Chalet Resort which has a lot of cabins and a lodge and is conveniently located for those who do not have a car. Lots of options for activities and eating establishments. Whether you get there by bus or train the ride is narrated and comfortable. A Double Denali should include the Tundra Wilderness Tour (and a box/snack lunch) if you go after the road opens in early June.

In Fairbanks you will be at the Westmark which is within walking distance of the city center for tourist activities. There was some construction in the area last year. If you don’t like your room ask for another.

It is a large convention center hotel.

In Anchorage HAL was remodeling the Westmark this summer so people were assigned to other downtown hotels. We were at the very nice Captain Cook nearby.

If you have an overnight in Seward you will be at the Seward Windsong Lodge which is out closer to Exit Glacier. There is a very good restaurant nearby. There is bus transportation to town and/or tourist activities.

Alaska is rustic but clean and wholesome. The best hotel is Alyeska in Girdwood which is included with one cruisetour.

You will be responsible for most of your meals. The meal plan is expensive and limited to hotel eateries and the train so I have not tried it.

If you go in late May, sail first so that you are in Denali in June. Look at the sticky section at the top of the Alaska board on cruise critic for lots of reviews.

Our rooms in Denali were of the rustic version, and in the hotel in Fairbanks we were in the older part of the hotel. I'm guessing it was because we had booked cabins on main deck on the ship. We did not take the food plan. Generally, we found restaurants where the food was reasonably priced and good quality.

The stateroom category that you book on the ship has no relationship to the hotel room you get on the land portion. Rooms are assigned by the hotel and you will get your key as soon as you arrive at the hotel. You will be asked at some point before you start your adventure if you prefer a king or two queen beds.

In Fairbanks we were assigned to the newer tower in July which was nice but had small modern rooms and I went to the front desk and asked to be moved to the more rustic older section! No problem.