Thoughts on Panama Canal Cruise on Fantasy?

Nevada Jen

I really want to do a Panama Canal cruise. There is a 10 day "Journey" cruise on the Fantasy out of Mobile that fits my schedule but I am worried about 2 things. There are only oceanview and inside cabins left. I am a balcony girl (I'm not even sure there are balcony cabins on the ship). Will I just go nuts without the ability to go out on the balcony? Especially in the Panama Canal? Second, the ship has a lot of really bad reviews and there are a lot of sea days on this cruise. We just did a 4 day on Liberty and were totally fine with that ship, service etc. . . but we had a balcony and only one sea day. Can anyone compare the two ships for me? I really have only a small window to do this (September 2018), I looked at other lines and the dates didn't quite work for me. I really can't do more than 10 days. 10 days is pushing it as it is.

I cruised Fantasy in November. I personally don't see the reason for bad reviews. Food was good to really good. Although I don't do buffets so I'm referring to MDR, Guys, Blue Iguana, etc Not a drinker so can't speak to bar service. Ship may be lacking some activities of the bigger ships but I personally am happy to sleep in, brunch, veg in the sun for the afternoon then clean up for dinner and then do show and comedy for the evening. So I personally thought the ship was fine. Not crowded at all. I would be happy to do a 10 day on the Fantasy.

I cruised Fantasy in December. After 17 cruise (4 on the Fantasy from different ports) this was my first bad cruise (but we made the best we could of it). Terrible room steward, disrepair of the cabin including an upper bunk left unlocked that almost killed my wife when it fell unexpectedly, multiple sewage backups evidenced by bad smells and the many fans in the halls trying to dry carpet. They may have been having a bad week but I will never cruise this ship again.

I have always had Balconies and I just made the mistake of booking the Paradise with an Ocean View. I really underestimated how much a balcony made my cruise. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome cruise, but many many times on the cruise I said to myself, I wish I had a Balcony. If I had a balcony right now, that is where I would be. To the point that I am not looking at cruises without balconies now.

The Fantasy is a much older and smaller ship than the liberty, I actually prefer that, but must have a balcony from now on.

The more I think about it, the more I think the lack of balcony is an issue. I just can't imagine the Panama Canal without a balcony. There is a slightly shorter cruise on Miracle out of Tampa around the same time. I think I am going to do that. Assuming I didn't already miss out on the balconies and suites.

The suites should have a balcony if it's still in your price range and don't mind the smaller ship for the itinerary. It was 3 years ago but we did go on a short fantasy cruise with an interior Port hole window. It was a good trip but only a 5 day, I'm still undecided about a longer one on that small of a ship.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

We have done the bigger ships (Magic and Pride and we are booked on the Breeze) and we have sailed on the Fantasy. We did a 5 day out of Charleston when it was there and we did have a balcony. We had a suite that had a wonderful balcony. I loved the ship and it was a wonderful cruise. However, I would not love it for 10 days with no balcony. Especially with several sea days. It is small and older and that was part of its charm but I wouldn't sail on it for a journeys cruise.

We just did Panama cruise in December - the forward observation deck was jammed going thru the locks. BUT!!! Very sparsely populated coming BACK thru the locks . . . same view. And we just did a b2b on the Fantasy earlier this month. Ship is in fine condition, service was exemplary, and food is as good as ever. No complaints!

I dumped this one in favor of miracle out of Tampa. I couldn't stand the thought of 10 days with 3 people in an ocean view room. Balcones and suites were sold out on this one. Just couldn't do it.

Excellent choice! We mostly cruise with friends, but it sure is nice to have our cabin to go to and just be quiet, scratch anything that needs scratching, and possibly making rude noises. Couldn’t do that with anyone else bunking in with us.

I dumped this one in favor of miracle out of Tampa. I couldn't stand the thought of 10 days with 3 people in an ocean view room. Balcones and suites were sold out on this one. Just couldn't do it.

I think you made an excellent choice! We have been on over 20 cruises with Carnival and last year's 5 day Fantasy cruise was just not up to par. I have come to the conclusion that I NEED a balcony. It just enhances my cruise experience. We booked the Fantasy for a quick getaway and thought the ocean view would be okay. It wasn't! Also, this ship's cabins are much smaller than the newer ones. There is no sofa, only a small chair. Hardly enough room to move around. We thought service was fine, but the food was not up to the standard we expected from Carnival. BTW...we are also on this Miracle cruise to the Panama Canal. We LOVE the layout of this class of ship!

Dawn