Internet Speed on Brilliance

Brilliance should be similar to Rhapsody.

I've recently heard that it does not look like there will be any more new O3b (higher bandwidth on the newest ships) deployments to older ships in the near future.

Edited by Host Clarea

HI all,

Wondering if anyone has sailed Brilliance in Europe and how did you find the speed for surf and stream? Were you able to watch netflix? We had Surf and Stream on Rhapsody in Europe and the speed was useless. Thanks

Cindy

Thanks for asking this question.

I was on Rhapsody out of Venice in 2016 and will be sailing on the Brilliance this summer out of Amsterdam.

While on the Rhapsody I visited speedtest.net and had 800mS latency ping with under a Meg download speed. That was with Surf and Stream also. Not much "streaming" with that slow of speed.

Brilliance should be similar to Rhapsody.

I've recently heard that it does not look like there will be any more new O3b (higher bandwidth on the newest ships) deployments to older ships in the near future.

Thanks, Bob. I’ll spend my money somewhere else, like buying a second Ixpand for my ipad and store a ton of movies on there. And download like crazy on netflix and amazon prime before leaving. So happy we can now use our 4G for free anywhere in Europe.

Cindy

Thanks for asking this question.

I was on Rhapsody out of Venice in 2016 and will be sailing on the Brilliance this summer out of Amsterdam.

While on the Rhapsody I visited speedtest.net and had 800mS latency ping with under a Meg download speed. That was with Surf and Stream also. Not much "streaming" with that slow of speed.

Not even much surfing on Rhapsody either, unless you had a surfboard.... [emoji6]

Cindy

Kinda hard to surf without a Flowrider, which Rhapsody doesn't have.:p

I didn’t mean on Rhapsody, but on the sea. I guess it came out wrong... [emoji5]

Cindy

Biker, I'm going to guess that your sense of humor doesn't translate well in Belgium.

No worries though.

HI all,

Wondering if anyone has sailed Brilliance in Europe and how did you find the speed for surf and stream? Were you able to watch netflix? We had Surf and Stream on Rhapsody in Europe and the speed was useless. Thanks

Cindy

It was HORRIFIC. It barely worked. It took some time to get our money back as well to the point where we no longer get Internet onboard anymore.

It was HORRIFIC. It barely worked. It took some time to get our money back as well to the point where we no longer get Internet onboard anymore.

Sounds like the speed we had on Rhapsody, thanks for your reply

^ just realize that's quite variable and should be much better in general on an O3B equipped ship.

If we were to believe the products (ie surf and stream) Royal sells, one would think all ships have O3B. And we all know Royal never sells something if they can’t deliver... [emoji6][emoji23]

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, no....we just bought the surf & stream package for our upcoming cruise on BOS. So it was useless for streaming? Does it depend on where you are on the ship, I wonder? Our room is just off the centrum. I'm now wondering if I should cancel that package.

They advertise all internet as Voom, Surf and Stream, and they charge for it. It’s anything but. I’m going to do some research on using ATT cruise talk for my next cruise. I was on Anthem last spring and even their O3B was poor. This year on Adventure Voom surf was useless, surf plus stream was better but not much.