Gem Adjoining Rooms

JamieLogical

My SO and I are sailing on the Gem and have put in an upgrade offer to go from an inside room to a balcony. Looking at most of the remaining inventory by doing a mock booking, the remaining balconies all are adjoining rooms. My question is, have people who sailed with strangers in adjoining rooms on the Gem had issues with noise/privacy?

Your upgrade, if accepted, does NOT necessary come from the remaining unsold inventory ... it can and could well be in a different category, deck, location, opposite side of the ship. That, of course, does not preclude the possibility of getting a connecting room.

They are locked from both sides - safety & security and privacy should NOT matter, IMO from experience.

As far as noise, if you happened to get a "honeymooning" couple next door - you will possibly "hear" and realize it, at some point, indirectly thru the walls - much like staying in most hotel rooms. With a set of doors in between, probably hearing no more or less than ... with the wall panels at 4 AM or what not. This is pretty much true with most ships that we've sailed on, except that with the mega ships - some of the balcony staterooms have alternating bed layouts - near the balcony vs. near the bathroom.

Two or three firm "knocks" on the wall was all it took - for me - to "alert" whomever next door to us, to hush and "tone" it down while they're having fun ... without "disturbing" their neighbors, in the ultra early morning hours. (And, I usually sleep thru a hurricane ...)

As a suggestion, maybe ... a White Noise App.

We were recently in an adjoining room on the Gem. I was not thrilled booking this room but didn't have much choice since it was a last minute booking. Turns out that we never heard noise from the people next door who happened to have teens. Keep door locked. Door handle came in handy to hang my beach bag. Enjoy your cruise, the Gem is my favorite ship.

We were recently in an adjoining room on the Gem. I was not thrilled booking this room but didn't have much choice since it was a last minute booking. Turns out that we never heard noise from the people next door who happened to have teens. Keep door locked. Door handle came in handy to hang my beach bag. Enjoy your cruise, the Gem is my favorite ship.

Great! That's a big relief. I had seen some YouTube videos on staterooms to avoid, and they listed adjoining rooms as one of them. This was a generic "cruising in general" type of video though, so maybe it is worse on some cruise lines/ships than others?

Now I just have to sit tight and hope for the upgrade bid to be accepted!