Help needed for Amsterdam

We are on a cruise that docks in Amsterdam at 17:00 and leaves the next morning. What can we do in about 6 hours once we get off the ship. We'll probably want to get back on the ship by midnight. We would like to maybe see Anne Frank house or one of the art museums and do a canal boat tour or whatever is best to see the canals. Do ships dock close to the center of town? What is most important to see in Amsterdam to get a feel for this city? Anything we should try eating that is typical of this city? I desperately need help planning for the 6 hours, I've done some reading but not sure how close or easy things are to get to. Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions you could give me.

Here is info on the Anne Frank House. You must get tickets online; they do not sell tickets on site now.

https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets-address-opening-hours/

Most other museums are likely to be closed.

There are evening cruises (with or without dinner) of the canals which generally come with commentary on the buildings around you.

What is most important to see in Amsterdam to get a feel for this city? Anything we should try eating that is typical of this city?
If you're there overnight, which is not something that all cruise ship passengers get to do if their ships only make a call on Amsterdam, then going to see the Red Light District must be on the list of potential options. Although I'd be the first to acknowledge that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, you don't have to intend to be a customer; I reckon that the vast majority of people milling through the area have no such intention. You can visit the area during the day, of course, but it's a very different animal then (although still very interesting in different ways).

As for food, I'd suggest looking for somewhere that will do a rijsttafel. There are previous suggestions on this forum if you do a search.

Since you donot mention when you will be in Amsterdam, you better check the openingshours of AF house, as well as the museums you are interested in. In Summer some have special evening openings on some days. Rijksmuseum closes at 5 pm, but van Goghmuseum at 7 pm, even later on Friday and Saturday. Tickets for AF house are on sale 2 months prior, and often epr day some tickets come avaiblabe. Keep checking that. Without reservations you cannot get any tickets anymore.

https://www.annefrank.org/en/

If the weather is nice many outdoor terraces will be open, like on Rembrandtplein etc.

Canalcruises can be done either just sailing, or incl. wine and cheese or even a meal. Although in general those meals arenot that great.

The cruiseterminal is rather close to city center and Centraal Station. Either use a cab, Uber or even tramnr 26 to Centraal Station.

You can check google maps for details.

Special events can be found a.o. on the website: https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/see-and-do/whats-on/monthly-event-calendar

Currently in Amsterdam waiting to begin our cruise.

We just returned to our hotel from a canal dinner cruise.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.amsterdamjewelcruises.com/dinner-cruise.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudDk-8Sa3AIVjrvtCh0CQQ-nEAAYAyAAEgLMrvD_BwE

The cruise took us past many canals and past many historic sites. Sitting near the front, the captain pointed out many of the sites.

We took the tram which is easy to use (once you figure it out). However, there are lines of taxis right outside the cruise terminal just waiting to take tourists anywhere. The dinner cruise people will call ahead for taxis at the end of the dinner cruise if asked.

I thought the meal was great. They didn’t fix it on the boat. They take your order off the menu, call it in, then the boat will make a stop in front of the catering restaurant and grab the meals. The food was warmer that what we usually get from the MDR on the ship.