Website with port info???

LHP

Does anyone know a website that lets you know which British Isles ports dock in a convenient area ( close to town etc) where the port is walkable?

Thanks

you could look at whatsinport.com then look up the port

Then again some ports have more than one docking area so it will depend on where your ship is docking how close to town it is

We just did a British Isles cruise on Princess. Here’s a quick rundown of the ports we were docked at.

Guernsey-tender port, you are dropped right in the center of town, very nice town and waterfront.

Cobh-ship docks right in Cobh center. Very walkable and cute town! Many people go to Blarney and Cork, but Cobh town is well worth spending some time at.

Liverpool-ship docks right in the middle of a nice park like waterfront area. Very walkable. Lots of shops nearby.

Dublin-docked in a commercial area. Think way too far too walk into Dublin. We took Princess shuttle to center of town.

Greenock-Docked in a commercial area. We did a tour out into the countryside so can’t comment on whether there was anything to walk to.

Belfast-docked in a very commercial area with working cargo ships. Too far to walk to town.

South Queensferry-tender port, you disembark and most people get directly on a tour bus or shuttle to Edinburgh. There didn’t look like much to see in South Queensferry.

La Havre-ship docked in a bleak looking commercial area. I don’t think the city of LaHavre is within a walk, Princess offered a shuttle and many took tours to Paris, DDay Beaches, etc.

Our sailing missed Invergordon due to gale force winds, so can’t comment!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thank you sunsetbeachgal! I was looking for this kind of port information as well. It's helpful to know which ports are walkable for DIY or best to book a shorex.

You are very welcome. While I love a good tour, I can’t do tours day after day. This itinerary is so wonderful as you can do some at a leisurely pace and walk around on your own schedule. Enjoy!

Invergordon - you usually dock in town, or occasionally they tender in if there are too many ships to all dock. However, this is a very small town and you will want to travel further afield, I am sure. Either ship tour, private tour, car rental or public transport.

• 2 weeks later...
We just did a British Isles cruise on Princess. Here’s a quick rundown of the ports we were docked at.

South Queensferry-tender port, you disembark and most people get directly on a tour bus or shuttle to Edinburgh. There didn’t look like much to see in South Queensferry.

South Queensferry may be small but it is an historic town with well preserved buildings and a walk guided by explanation boards, a museum, a stately home, lovely cafes, souvenir shops and great pubs and cafes, not forgetting fantastic views of the three Forth Bridges.