Volendam - anyone recently cruised on this ship?

Hflors

I am looking at a cruise on Volendam. I know things were wrong after her drydock, but are there any recent cruisers who cruised on this ship? She looks very much like Rotterdam, is she? Since we are thinking of taking a 30 day trip I just want to make sure we are making the right decision. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen, it is an R-class ship, just like the Rotterdam though I haven’t sailed either to compare. I sail on the Volendam next week, hopefully some of the folks finishing up their cruise will report back. I’m very interested too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Helen, it is an R-class ship, just like the Rotterdam though I haven’t sailed either to compare. I sail on the Volendam next week, hopefully some of the folks finishing up their cruise will report back. I’m very interested too!

I hope so. Of all Hal's ships it seems to be the one that not many people cruise on or talk about...

We were on the Volendam in December - see my review “Volendam Dec 6 to 20 Disapointed”. We certainly hope, for the sake of current and future passengers, that the issues I raised have been overcome. Despite a number of requests for comment from HAL they have not responded. Not surprising I suppose - they have our money (but not our future custom I’m afraid).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a spring cruise booked on the Volendam and are hoping that problems that were there after dry dock had been addressed. I also have questions about the following:

1. Do the safes still require a credit-card-like card to open?

2. What is the configuration of closets in the Neptune Suites?

Thanks for any info on the current state of the Volendam.

• 2 weeks later...
I disembarked the Volendam last week and will write a mini review later today. We had a nice cruise!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

Keikobad, did you write your review of the Volendam? We'd like to know if you encountered any of the post-dry dock problems others have mentioned. We sail on her soon. Thank you.

Here is the video of our Volendam cruise to Asia in 2017 that shows the public areas, cabin, entertainment, food and ports of call runtime approx. 12 mins

Enjoy

youtube link below:

Nice job on the video! We really enjoyed it and are looking forward to our upcoming cruise on the Volendam. Thanks so much for sharing your trip memories.

Just finished a 15 day cruise on the Volendam. The ship looks great in all the public areas but I’m not sure how many of the cabins were completely updated. Our upgraded cabin was still the old style soft goods and furniture (red/gold/beige) — old tile in the bathroom and there was nothing new in it at all. It was however a handicapped room, so perhaps it gets different fittings that made it non-standard and not tackled during dry-dock? The room was clean and spacious (twice the size of a std stateroom), water pressure was awesome as were the beds. Really loved this cruise despite usually enjoying a slightly larger vessel (like the Eurodam). There were a couple of days with fans going in the hallways but nothing seemed wet. I actually suspect this might have been to combat the hot and humid weather coming in near midship where the doors were open for tenders on port days. Enjoy your upcoming trips everyone!

Thanks, EpicureanGirl! I guess they fixed the AC and plumbing problems cruisers experienced in the post-dry dock sail in December. I won't count on a refitted cabin and bath. I wonder what they did in dry-dock? I'm glad to hear you had a nice cruise on the Volendam. We're excited for our cruise on her coming up soon.

I always liked Le Cirque unfortunately next month they move to the pop up of Sel De Mer. We will enjoy a page of Tamarind...I hope.

Thanks for the update

I hope to try Sel De Mer on a future cruise. I always feel like I'm missing out on some of the venues of the newer ships. Still, it was a fun cruise and the food was better than I remember in the MDR, which was a pleasant surprise.