Craft beer on Carnival Dream?

BHMF 109

Can anyone tell me what craft beer is available on the Dream we sail on September 11 any information is appreciated

I a fairly certain that they offer bud, bud light, and colors during the crafting and scrap book sessions.

I know the Carnival Paradise in April had some options that were not main line. Cooney Island stuff, which is who is partnering with Carnival Vista Brewery to help them make beer on board.

As to the Dream, I am not sure. You probably will have a few better options than the domestics and international stuff they bring in. But as to what they are I have no idea.

Abita Amber is one of my favorites. Purple Haze is a bit fruity for my taste.

https://abita.com/brews/our_brews/abita-amber

https://abita.com/brews/our_brews/purple-haze

I just had Abita Big Easy, I thought it was pretty good. I was at a bar and they had it for $8 a pitcher. I am an IPA drinker. I am hoping to find some parish while I am in New Orleans. Last time my buddy was down there he found ghost in the machine and gave me a bottle, that was good.

I don't expect the ship to have anything fancy. I bought the Cheers! package, so I will probably stick to expensive drinks, but it would be nice to have the option of a good craft beer.

I just had Abita Big Easy, I thought it was pretty good. I was at a bar and they had it for $8 a pitcher. I am an IPA drinker. I am hoping to find some parish while I am in New Orleans. Last time my buddy was down there he found ghost in the machine and gave me a bottle, that was good.

I don't expect the ship to have anything fancy. I bought the Cheers! package, so I will probably stick to expensive drinks, but it would be nice to have the option of a good craft beer.

I read that in addition to national brands Carnival is trying to put a few local craft brews on ships depending on the ports they sail from (or maybe home port if they move around some? Not sure yet how that all works lol)

We just got off Conquest sailing from Ft Lauderdale and we had Cigar City beers available as that's a Florida brewery. (One of the best in the country as far as I'm concerned).

Although I kinda wish they would make it even more port specific. Cigar City is in Tampa but in FLL Carnival could have gone right down the street and loaded up some Funky Buddha.

If Dream is sailing from NO then Abita would be my bet for their local beer. Turbodog is pretty great. I didn't care for their Purple Haze but I love the name lol.

Cigar City has a ton of different beers but I only saw Invasion Pale Ale and Florida Cracker so I don't know if 2 is the rule for all local beers.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed to find out the Thirsty Frog beer on tap was made by AB. But it was good enough for cruising and closer than the aft Lido bar with the Cigar City lol. (CC still got many of my beer dollars)

Edited by originalgeek

I read that in addition to national brands Carnival is trying to put a few local craft brews on ships depending on the ports they sail from (or maybe home port if they move around some? Not sure yet how that all works lol)

We just got off Conquest sailing from Ft Lauderdale and we had Cigar City beers available as that's a Florida brewery. (One of the best in the country as far as I'm concerned).

Although I kinda wish they would make it even more port specific. Cigar City is in Tampa but in FLL Carnival could have gone right down the street and loaded up some Funky Buddha.

If Dream is sailing from NO then Abita would be my bet for their local beer. Turbodog is pretty great. I didn't care for their Purple Haze but I love the name lol.

Cigar City has a ton of different beers but I only saw Invasion Pale Ale and Florida Cracker so I don't know if 2 is the rule for all local beers.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed to find out the Thirsty Frog beer on tap was made by AB. But it was good enough for cruising and closer than the aft Lido bar with the Cigar City lol. (CC still got many of my beer dollars)

Here's the list of local beer available based on homeport: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1088/~/homeport-locally-brewed-beers

All ships have Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale. Admittedly more macro- than micro- breweries.

I agree Cigar City makes a good product. Wish they had Jai Alai and either their Lager instead of Invasion (not a bad pale) and Florida Cracker(better Belgians around in FL) though. I think they picked those two for the names not the beer styles.

As far as Funky Buddha, they just started distributing cans of Hop Gun recently. Most of their others are on tap only. And a problem with a lot of craft beer is it's either on tap only or has limited bottling/canning facilities or distribution.

The answer is: Abita Amber, Abita Purple Haze, Concrete Beach Brewery's Rica Wheat IPA, Angel City Brewery's Pilsner, Coney Island's Hard Root Beer, 1609 Amber

According to Carnival's website:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1088/kw/What%20is%20beer%20station

"Craft beer continues to grow in popularity so we have expand our beverage menus to include an array of refreshing and satisfying beers from some of the top breweries in the country. This is in addition to Carnival's own private label draught beer, ThirstyFrog Red, which is available throughout the fleet.

Craft beers and microbrews are available on ships operating from the following homeports and cruising regions:

Galveston: Shiner Bock and Shiner Premium

New Orleans: Abita Amber and Abita Purple Haze

Florida: Tampa-brewed Cigar City Florida Cracker and Cigar City Invasion Pale Ale

Alaska: Alaskan Amber and Alaskan White

Hawaii: Bikini Blonde Lager and Mana Wheat beers from Maui Brewing Co.

Miami: Concrete Beach Stiltsville Miami-style Pilsner

Long Beach: Angel City Brewery IPA

New York City: Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner

In additions, U.S based ships across the fleet serve:

Concrete Beach Brewery's Rica Wheat IPA

Angel City Brewery's Pilsner

Coney Island's Hard Root Beer

1609 Amber"

Man Galveston is getting ripped off! Shiner isn't a bad beer but St. Arnold and Karbach are right down the street and you can't find them in every bar between Texas and New York.

I agree. I love Shiner, but I'm more partial to it on tap rather than bottled. With saying that, I'd be in serious trouble if they had St. Arnold Lawn Mower on the ship!

All ships have Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale. Admittedly more macro- than micro- breweries.

I agree Cigar City makes a good product. Wish they had Jai Alai and either their Lager instead of Invasion (not a bad pale) and Florida Cracker(better Belgians around in FL) though. I think they picked those two for the names not the beer styles.

As far as Funky Buddha, they just started distributing cans of Hop Gun recently. Most of their others are on tap only. And a problem with a lot of craft beer is it's either on tap only or has limited bottling/canning facilities or distribution.

CC Jose Marti on tap at the Tampa riverfront Marriott bar. I was there for work. Almost didn't make it to work. Yeah I think you're right about the names. I love CC but Invasion and Cracker are not my goto CC beers. (but still the best i had on-board last week) There's always room in my beer crisper at home for Maduro and there's a pub nearby that has Jai-Alai on tap. Too bad I couldn't smuggle on a keg or two and switch out the thirsty frog lol.

I agree. I love Shiner, but I'm more partial to it on tap rather than bottled. With saying that, I'd be in serious trouble if they had St. Arnold Lawn Mower on the ship!

I'm thinking a more nautical themed brew like Elissa. Imagine enjoying a beer on a ship named after a ship that's on display right next to it. That and it's a very tasty IPA.

Me too! Lawnmower was my go-to beer back when I lived in Houston and they started brewing it in the mid-late 90s. :)

Having grown up in Texas there are few dinners I miss more than chicken fried steak and a Shiner Bock. But hey, at least I can get SB here and I learned to make my own CFS.

I left 30+ years ago so I must have missed out on this St Arnold but I love the sound of it so I'll have to get back for a visit soon...

Carnival Magic had Sam Adam's Rebel IPA in a 16 oz can for $5.95. Best deal I saw for craft beer on that ship.

I paid that for a 20 ounce draft of it in upstate NY at the Texas Roadhouse last night. That is a great deal for a cruise ship. Way better beer than the Foster's oil cans, which are brewed in the beautiful city of Fort Worth.

Funny story, I live in Fort Worth but visit NY pretty regularly. We took the Staten Island ferry last year around Christmas time and they have a small snack bar with beer and wine for sale. I ordered a Fosters since it was $4. So in NYC on a ferry I ordered an "Australian" beer that read on the can it was brewed in Fort Worth. I didn't realize how much that Miller plant produces.

Having grown up in Texas there are few dinners I miss more than chicken fried steak and a Shiner Bock. But hey, at least I can get SB here and I learned to make my own CFS.

I left 30+ years ago so I must have missed out on this St Arnold but I love the sound of it so I'll have to get back for a visit soon...

If I recall correctly, St Arnolds started in 1989 or 1990. And the Shiner in bottles I've had since leaving Texas in 2002 just don't taste like the Shiner I used to buy in Texas.

I paid that for a 20 ounce draft of it in upstate NY at the Texas Roadhouse last night. That is a great deal for a cruise ship. Way better beer than the Foster's oil cans, which are brewed in the beautiful city of Fort Worth.

Funny story, I live in Fort Worth but visit NY pretty regularly. We took the Staten Island ferry last year around Christmas time and they have a small snack bar with beer and wine for sale. I ordered a Fosters since it was $4. So in NYC on a ferry I ordered an "Australian" beer that read on the can it was brewed in Fort Worth. I didn't realize how much that Miller plant produces.

That's why you won't find any Aussies on board Carnival ships swilling the stuff. They don't even drink it in Oz, which is one reason Miller moved it here.