Pre-purchase Specialty Dining or Buy Onboard?

cheffip

We'll be onboard Silhouette next month and plan to have some meals in the specialty restaurants. The four-meal package on the website looks good but we've also purchased packages on Day 1 onboard, (usually from "greeters" as you enter the buffet.)Any advice as to which way to go on these options?

We'll be onboard Silhouette next month and plan to have some meals in the specialty restaurants. The four-meal package on the website looks good but we've also purchased packages on Day 1 onboard, (usually from "greeters" as you enter the buffet.)Any advice as to which way to go on these options?

You can probably get just as good of a deal if you do so on the ship and that way, you can purchase it or not based on the availability of the restaurants / dates and times.

When there is a 20% discount offered ahead of time, that would be the time when they are offering a better deal, at least on the packages. Also, the packages that were offered at a discount on my upcoming cruise started with 6 dinners and you can't share the packages ... so six for each passenger. That is too many for my tastes ...some like it, though. The thing I don't like as much about the packages if you buy them online is that Celebrity books your first restaurant for you .. their choice, not yours and you can't book the rest of them until you board. You can change that first dinner to one of the first two nights of your choice .. but last time I had done that, they changed it back so why did I bother?? On the first night, you can usually snag a pretty good discount anyway, even without the package.

Of note, there are those that have claimed they were successful in making their dinner reservations ahead of time using the package but I have not been successful in doing so. And ...let me tell you, I have tried but nobody would do it for me.

Dining package prices are extremely unlikely to be bettered onboard, whilst individual reservation can always be negotiated. When you are unable to choose the venue or time slot for the dining packages it would appear fruitless to buy ahead except that they could withdraw the multiple dining package from sale.

But now you have the ability to use your obc in advance, that may change people's purchasing habits, maybe.

Your choice at the end of the day !

Log into your cruise Planner, go to the speciality restaurant tab. A couple friends have said that they were able to get the packages at the discounted rate.

We were able to book the 9 day for $209.00 ea.

And use our OBC to cover the cost.

Log into your cruise Planner, go to the speciality restaurant tab. A couple friends have said that they were able to get the packages at the discounted rate.

We were able to book the 9 day for $209.00 ea.

And use our OBC to cover the cost.

Are you sure you have the noughts in the correct place ?

The 9 night Specialty package is $29/pp/pn

We had over 40 on our Roll Call for the Nov 6th Equinox sailing buy during the 20% off sale for $209.00 per person for the 9 night pkg.

One couple that missed the sale went into their cruise Planner and it was still showing as available. They grabbed it.

This is why I recommended for them to check the planner as there are specials listed not on the general information pages of the web site.

Thanks all for the advice. I will check the cruise planner. We have Celebrity and TA OBC (which I know you can't use in advance).

I guess the real pain is having to have the first meal on nights 1 or 2.

I dont see any discounts but the 4 or 5 night price is pretty good. On Silhouette, will I get my choice of Q-sine, Murano's, Sushi on Five, Lawn Club Grill, Murano's and Tuscan? And can I repeat a favorite?

We had over 40 on our Roll Call for the Nov 6th Equinox sailing buy during the 20% off sale for $209.00 per person for the 9 night pkg.

One couple that missed the sale went into their cruise Planner and it was still showing as available. They grabbed it.

This is why I recommended for them to check the planner as there are specials listed not on the general information pages of the web site.

I bought but ended up canceling mine for that same cruise. They couldn't guarantee I could get the restaurants I wanted although I saw others were successful with making their reservations beforehand. It's ok, though ... think I am going to visit the Apple Store onboard instead. :)

I believe the "Ultimate Dining Package" for $29.00 a day has been discontinued. Now, they sell packages dependent of how many nights you want to dine in the specialties. :)

They charge per package not per night. I think the zeros are in the right places. If you book 9, $23 per night seems reasonable.

I'm not sure about the packages, but I initially booked one night at Qsine (@$45 pp) using OBC. But I cancelled it before sailing. When there was a wait on the main dining room, we were offered 40% off at any specialty restaurant. We weren't overly hungry, so went to Sushi on 5. The next night, while dining in MDR, our server offered us 2 for 1 at Qsine which we gladly took advantage of!

That is an attractive offer. I have the idea that sometimes you may be offered a better deal for a second visit but I have never snagged a 2 for 1. Obviously it depends on how bookings are going. Out of interest, which ship and sailing was this?

That is an attractive offer. I have the idea that sometimes you may be offered a better deal for a second visit but I have never snagged a 2 for 1. Obviously it depends on how bookings are going. Out of interest, which ship and sailing was this?

It was Summit to Bermuda , August 6-13. Just a couple weeks ago. We also got 30% off at Sushi on 5 the last night for being repeat customers.

We just returned from our cruise on the summit 8/13 to 8/20 We knew we wanted to eat at qsine and did not book before boarding. When we boarded we were immediately asked if we were interested in eating there the first evening by a rep from the restaurant. They were offering 20 percent off. I said I was interested only in eating there on the last night of the cruise (Saturday evening). They asked why and I said it was a special date (anniversary and birthday in the family). They immediately offered us 20 perfect off for all 6 of us at the time we wanted in Saturday evening. Very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums