Seeking help from Prinsendam loyalist re forward staterooms

mysticsailor

Thanks to all who gave suggestions re my previous question.

We are currently booked Prinsendam, Norwegian Fjords and British Isles May 26, stateroom 204 promenade deck aft, choosing there because of the larger balcony's. Now that we have actually viewed photos of that stateroom we are disappointed. There are staterooms available extreme forward (106 through 109) on the upper promenade deck with balcony's larger than midship.

We have only sailed forward once and that was enough! However I have heard that the Prinsendam cuts through waves better than other ships. Do you feel that a 28 day cruise up there would rock us gently asleep or make one queasy. We rarely succumb to seasickness but need to hear of your experience and or assurance.

Thanks again for your valuable insights. I have learned so much from this forum and our cruise experiences are better because of you!

Chas

I sailed in one of the far forward single cabins just under the bridge and had no problems. I don't think we had extremely bad seas but it seemed quite stable. Enough so that I'm sailing the Drake Passage in a forward cabin in the area just with portholes.

Roy

Its a hard question to answer since we all have different tolerances for motion on the ocean. I've been forward on Prinsendam in both a balcony and in one of the port hole cabins crossing the Atlantic and riding out a storm in the Irish Sea. Its a ship so there is motion, but I thought Prinsendam did well in those conditions and there was very little bow slap that you have on other ships. BTW, part of our trip was the British Isles and we dropped 3 ports due to Atlantic storms, about the same time of year as your planned cruise. Two ports were substituted for the three we lost and it worked out fine.

I appreciate hearing of your experiences re the forward staterooms. We have a phone a appointment with my PCC tomorrow re another cruise and need to decide by then because the Prinsendam cruise is booking up fast. Other comments are welcome. Thanks to you all.

Chas

I appreciate hearing of your experiences re the forward staterooms. We have a phone a appointment with my PCC tomorrow re another cruise and need to decide by then because the Prinsendam cruise is booking up fast. Other comments are welcome. Thanks to you all.

Chas

We've been forward on this ship and not an issue (but we were higher). there is a difference between forward and too forward. Don't take the most forward cabin on the ship on the lower levels.

Try to go back at least 3 cabins. Just from what friends have told me.

Hope this helps.

I usually book an aft cabin when cruising, but have no hesitation taking a forward cabin on the Prinsendam on Promenade deck. It does seem to ride the waves better than the larger ships. Love that ship!!:cool:

Marianne

:)We have sailed several times on Prinsendam and always take one of those forward cabins with the larger balcony. In over 300 days on her we never experienced any problems in heavy seas. However those cabins are right above the theater and you will hear all the shows and practices in them. This always ends by about 11PM and is a non issue with us as we are out and about later than that. Also every other cabin has either a full bath or just a shower, so you have to make sure you get what you prefer. We are booked on the 2019 80 day Grand South America/Antarctica and are in one the most forward cabins

Sincere appreciation to all for your helpful insights and experience sailing 'forward' on the Prinsendam.

We decided to relocate up front because of your mostly positive experiences of smooth sailing there. I also appreciate one CC member reminding us of the showroom being directly underneath, silly me for not noticing; ear plugs shall be packed. We have never sailed this far forward before but then again we've never sailed on the Prinsendam and grateful for the opportunity now that it appears she will be leaving the fleet end of next year.

Thanks once again Jacki for chiming in--you and Ruth are my 'go to' encyclopedia of all things HAL.

Chas