QM2 best tip for cruisers

Lincoln18

Here are a few fun things I did not know about the QM2 before our first voyage. I learned about them from this forum and made a point to check them out during our second voyage.

1. The two exterior glass-enclosed observation elevators that travel between decks 7 and 11 forward.

2. The exercise area for the kennels starboard side aft on deck 12 where you can watch pets at play during a transatlantic voyage if you visit during exercise time.

3. The image of Homer Simpson.

Regards,

John.

I have sailed QM2 but did not know of the observation gallery to the bridge.

What tip would you give concerning QM2 to cruisers?

There is a glass enclosed bridge observation area that is opened during posted hours only on sea days. It is reached from the port side of 12 deck. Don't expect RMS Titanic - it looks more like USS Enterprise.

There is also an open observation area on 11 deck just under the bridge. That is reached up on 11 deck, just port of starboard of the Atlantic Room. You have to look for the entrances as at first it looks like you're venturing into some service alley. It's open 24/7 unless the wind force requires it to be closed for safety reasons.

As for other tips, you'll need to be more specific.

Dear Lincoln,

From one cruiser to another, enjoy your cruise.

About the Observation Gallery for the QM'2 Bridge, it is open during sea days, during the daytime hours are suggested to get a better view.

Unfortunately at times, there can be a glare that will block a clear view of the entire bridge and equipment. Cloudy days give better pictures.

You can take pictures and videos of it.

BUT.... you can not under any circumstances use Flash on the camera. Also, no tapping or banging on the window is permitted to attract the Staff's attention.

Also, any unusal activity or distrubance in the Gallery by visitors, the Officers On Duty will draw a Curtain on the window and close all viewing.

We have never experienced that personally but know of others that have see it happen.

It only takes one person to unfortunately ruin it for others for that period of time.

Enjoy this most special location onboard the QM2.

Cunard does not generally arrange meet and greets, but there's a tradition that CC members get together in the Commodore Club at 2:30 the first sea day.

There is a Cruise Critic "guest book". It should be in the library and if you ask the librarian you can look at it and sign it.

Roy

Lincoln, thank you for posting this question, I will be on QM2 for the first time this summer and am keen to take in all I can.....I am devouring this and other sites/blogs for as much information as I can glean.

I am interested in all sorts of minutaie......people's opinions of bars, dining, entertainment, activities on board - good or bad, I love to hear other people's opinions

Many thanks.

I have sailed on her, so know how good the pub food is, and IMHO I was disappointed with Todd English, mainly the setting, outlook and the table we had was squeezed in. The food was good which is the main point.

Any tips for dining, extras or changes that you requested and they were happy to oblige?

Regards

Cunard does not generally arrange meet and greets, but there's a tradition that CC members get together in the Commodore Club at 2:30 the first sea day.

There is a Cruise Critic "guest book". It should be in the library and if you ask the librarian you can look at it and sign it.

Roy

The CC guestbook was MIA from the library (and Commodore Club) in February & March this year. If it does turn up I'd be interested in finding out where it went.

The CC guestbook was MIA from the library (and Commodore Club) in February & March this year. If it does turn up I'd be interested in finding out where it went.

I enjoyed reading your recent travel blog Whitemarsh and got a lot of useful tips from it - unfortunately I am not a Grills passenger this time :(

Roy

Roy, f.y.i. Am on a QM2 EBTA at the end of May. Have contacted Cunard to arrange a CC 'meet and greet'. Cunard has requested details (e.g. Date and time, number of attendees, preferred location etc.) in order to organize the session. We'll see how it goes...

How did you contact Cunard please? On their "contact us" on the website it doesn't give an email address, and I have asked on the Cunard facebook page for information, but nothing forthcoming. The one you have organised will be my return journey to the UK, but I would like to set something up for the WBTA. Thanks very much for organising the one on the 29th :)

I enjoyed reading your recent travel blog Whitemarsh and got a lot of useful tips from it - unfortunately I am not a Grills passenger this time :(

Thank you :)

How did you contact Cunard please? On their "contact us" on the website it doesn't give an email address, and I have asked on the Cunard facebook page for information, but nothing forthcoming. The one you have organised will be my return journey to the UK, but I would like to set something up for the WBTA. Thanks very much for organising the one on the 29th :)

If you ring Cunard in the U.S.A, and explain what you would like to do, they will give you the email for the Onboard Services Coordinator.

dont miss the daily Planetarium shows in Illuminations, there are 5? different ones and tickets need to be collected from the desk in the computer section for the performance you want. We found the very back row of seats the best, these do not recline, but you have all the screen in front of you and do not get a crick in your neck.

Roy, f.y.i. Am on a QM2 EBTA at the end of May. Have contacted Cunard to arrange a CC 'meet and greet'. Cunard has requested details (e.g. Date and time, number of attendees, preferred location etc.) in order to organize the session. We'll see how it goes...

Since the thread is now drifting toward a specific voyage, it may be best to continue it in the Rollcall section. You may get a better idea of how many intend to show up for the "meet and greet". I've been told that some CC gatherings had 10-20 people while other voyages had zero. (My experience last year was the later.)

There is really very little point in arranging this through Cunard, they will usually allocate a Connexions room on deck 2 which are soulless at the best of times. If you just arrange to meet your fellow travellers via the rollcall it works admirably. The normal venue is the Commodore Club at 2 or 2.30pm on the first sea-day. If you want some officers to attend you can drop them an invitation as soon as you board. Cunard really add so little to your event other than unwanted restrictions.

This may sound very simple but be sure to read carefully the daily programme available every day. Many times, I have encountered fellow passengers who "missed" something or asked me "how did I find that out?" They just did not read the information that was available. Also do one of the morning tours given the first sea day in the morning. They only do the public rooms on deck 2 and 3 but its a good way for a newbie to get to know the ship and ask questions. As for cruise critic meetings, our organizer of the 12/12/11 voyage must have gone thru Cunard as a mention was made of the meeting in the daily programme and it was held in the Winter Garden the first sea day at the usual time. There was good attendance but not by people in our roll call, only a few of them seemed to be present. Of course, all cruise critic members were welcomed. Even our organizer was not there! I could only attribute it to the fact that we were in very rough seas that day and probably many were under the weather.

Hello Crown Vic

In view of the Cruise Critic guest book which has gone missing

Do you have an e-mail address where I can contact Cunard to inform them of a "meet & greet". I am organising a joint Cruise Critic get together for our CC members on the QM2 cruise Singapore/Dubai to Southampton, leaving this Saturday.

Many thanks.

Archived