Just off the Gem. Questions?

jessicak76

The posts on here were helpful to me, so if anyone had Gem/ Bahamas-Florida cruise questions, I'd be happy to try to answer any. here are some key points:

1) yes, there were no straws given out in any drinks for 7 days. No issue for me. It is mentioned in each Daily their reason for no more straws

2) they still had thermal spa passes available on day 2 for sale

3) any speciality dining reservations should be made in advance. those restaurants tended to fill up

4)all staff were super friendly and always pleasant.

Gem is a great ship. I had brought straws too, but left them in the room. I did not miss drinking without them. my favorite tip is get room service breakfast, pastries; cereal; coffee; fruit, etc. I would go to the main dining room too, but liked the small start in my room .

we sailed the 4th of july week. lots of families. a good mix of all ages. lots of large groups. but everyone was well behaved and respectful. the cruise sailed fully full. no spare cabins. pool deck was nutty, but for those with young ones, it was fun.

One of the best features on the Gem is that it has two internet photo booths where you can take a snapshot and post it either on Facebook or directly email it to people at home with a brief message. Free.

IIRC one is near the entrance to the Magenta Dining Room on 6, and the other is just inside the Spinnaker Lounge on 13.

there was a martini tasting, for a fee. The bar outside of le Bistro had the best mixed drinks. the Le Fizz was yummy.

the main dining room was open for lunch except for port days. so when we were in florida and Nassau --- buffets only for lunch.

Blazing Boots was good....didn't see any other shows so I cant comment on them.

This is random, but do remember a drink on the menu that was called Lavender Patch? I think I’ve seen it in bar menu pictures, but not sure. I had a delicious lavender drink on RCL and I’d like to track one down on the Gem next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Sailing on the Gem in December. Which of the dining options are open for/serve breakfast? My last NCL cruise (07/2014 on the Dawn), I think we only ever had breakfast at the Garden Café buffet, and I'd like to know what sit-down service options there are! (Included or Specialty Dining!) Thanks! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Someone mentioned the Gem had new menus in the mdr....would you be able to post a current menu?

I am concerned with morning coffee. A must to get me started for the day. I see pics of coffee pots in balcony room. What type of pot and coffee. I am thinking of bringing my own if it is pods.

Which kind of coffee makers did they have? I'll be on in November. I'm so excited. it's my first cruise!

I will also be on the Gem in November, first week. Which one are you on? Don't see your post on our (very quiet :rolleyes:) rollcall, so you're probably on a different cruise.

I love/need coffee, and it has to be great too.

My cabin was in the Studio complex last cruise, so I was able to peruse the infamous espresso machine (meh, it was acceptable coffee, did not rock my boat.)

This time, I am in an inside cabin (working on a balcony upgrade), so gotta buy my espresso or "premium coffee" if I so desire. I will be bringing my own coffees, and probably my Aeropress even though there will be coffeemakers in the staterooms.

Anyway, my last cruise was my first too, so I can relate to your excitement. You will have fun! :)

My self and wife will be sailing on the gem Oct 27-nov 3 out of nyc, any one else,

Does anything special go on Halloween night

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

The six of us are going also. Not sure if there is a special Halloween celebration. I might bring something low key. We are going to the RIU Palace in Nassau to spend the day. All inclusive and beautiful beach and pools.