Looking for a responsible snorkel experience? I found one in Cozumel!

bobbingabout

Hi, we have just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise which included Cozumel. Before we went, we had a hard time researching any responsible snorkel operators in either Belize or Cozumel. By this I mean no feeding, touching or chasing the sea creatures, no picking up starfish, no "kissing" rays, no stroking sharks, no treading on coral etc - these kind of experience would put us into a state of anger crossed with depression!

Anyway, we booked in advance with H2O (they are on Trip Advisor). Simply put, they are a professional set up who really look after you as well as genuinely caring for all in the ocean and having a real passion for what they do.

We really recommend them - you can arrange a dive or a snorkel and they were very easy to communicate with.

All good!.

The tour was about 4 hours long and cost USD65 per person - we snorkelled in 4 different places from the boat - also included was water, fresh fruit (the best papaya and mango we have ever had!) and chocolate cake. There were 3 of us snorkelling with our own guide and 4 divers with their 2 instructors, plus the captain and his daughter along for the ride!

Thank you Bookish Angel - I am indeed concerned about the ocean and it's inhabitants - but also the land and the wildlife there. It is a difficult job sifting through, looking for responsible tour operators - I hope I have inspired just one or two Cruisecriticers to think before choosing a tour :)

Hi, we have just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise which included Cozumel. Before we went, we had a hard time researching any responsible snorkel operators in either Belize or Cozumel. By this I mean no feeding, touching or chasing the sea creatures, no picking up starfish, no "kissing" rays, no stroking sharks, no treading on coral etc - these kind of experience would put us into a state of anger crossed with depression!

Anyway, we booked in advance with H2O (they are on Trip Advisor). Simply put, they are a professional set up who really look after you as well as genuinely caring for all in the ocean and having a real passion for what they do.

We really recommend them - you can arrange a dive or a snorkel and they were very easy to communicate with.

All good!.

Thank you for this! I've been trying to decide what to do in Cozumel when I'm there in Feb (I'm doing Maya Chan at Costa Maya so I really don't want 2 "lay around a chair all day" days back to back) and have contacted them for more info on either snorkeling or their Discover SCUBA tour. Hopefully it'll work out.

• 1 month later...
Suggestions of snacks to take off the the ship that are Cozumel authorities approved? Happy to bring some from home.

Prepackaged, sealed snacks only. Don't try to take sandwiches or bananas from the buffet, they will take them.