One "Must-Do"

Medtech2

I will be posting in the port section also but for those of you familiar with the Gem out of Puerto Rico it is very port intensive. A different port each day and we have the $50/port promo so will be limited to NCL excursions.

Since we may never return to these ports (you never know) if you had to pick ONE must do, what would it be? Port times are listed as 8:00 to 5:00. We are open to all types of excursions, wanting to make sure we don't miss what is most memorable for each destination. In other words, although I love to snorkel I would not want to waste time snorkelling at a destination where that is poor, etc.

Bridgetown, Barbados (never been)

Fort-de-France, Martinique (never been)

Basseterre, St. Kitts (never been)

Philipsburg, St. Maarten (spent 2 weeks here but what would you do?)

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (have done Trunk Bay and Buck Island, loved the turtles at Buck Island)

I'm very surprised that if you've spent two weeks on St. Maarten, you don't have any idea about what you would like to do.

Give us at least a little direction.

What have you done in the past that you don't want to do again?

gary

I'm very surprised that if you've spent two weeks on St. Maarten, you don't have any idea about what you would like to do.

gary

Actually, DD and I were just going to eat Etna ice cream until we burst and then shop for some larimar earrings as she lost hers before we ever made it home. I just found out the day we are in port is St. Maarten Day so shops will be closed, so don't know if we'll be able to buy her earrings. During those 2 weeks we did cover most things but who knows? There might be something great that we were unaware of.

If indeed all shops are closed we definitely need to figure something out. We all love snorkelling...but I really miss that ice cream, lol

The shops at the Cruise Facility will be open, as they are exempt from the shop-closure regulation, as are funeral parlors.

Bars and restaurants will be open.

I'm not sure if they have Etna ice cream at the Cruise Facility, but the store in the Admin building may.

gary

I will be posting in the port section also but for those of you familiar with the Gem out of Puerto Rico it is very port intensive. A different port each day and we have the $50/port promo so will be limited to NCL excursions.

Since we may never return to these ports (you never know) if you had to pick ONE must do, what would it be? Port times are listed as 8:00 to 5:00. We are open to all types of excursions, wanting to make sure we don't miss what is most memorable for each destination. In other words, although I love to snorkel I would not want to waste time snorkelling at a destination where that is poor, etc.

Bridgetown, Barbados (never been) - snorkel with sea turtles

[/color]

Fort-de-France, Martinique (never been) - neither have I - can't help you

Basseterre, St. Kitts (never been) - if you are very fit and like hiking, hike Mt. Liamguia - if not and like the beach and good food, make a reservation at the beach club - forget what it is called - maybe Carambola?

Philipsburg, St. Maarten (spent 2 weeks here but what would you do?) - spend the day on Orient at Kontiki eating French/Asian fusion food and drinking French wine

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (have done Trunk Bay and Buck Island, loved the turtles at Buck Island)

- spend the day at Maegan's bay - it's a quick taxi from the port and they have facilities and chairs - don't need umbrellas due to the copious trees

Sorry, but facts get in the way, sometimes.

Magens Bay, St. Thomas: New houses, as well as restaurants, hotels and other businesses that attract tourists not only displace native plants and animals, but their construction causes erosion that sends soils, pollutants and excess nutrients into the sea.

gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beach it in St. Maarten. You know the island as you stayed for a couple of weeks so in my opinion just pick a beach that you like. We just rent a car and visit our favorite restaurant in Grand Case and use the beach there or when that's too rough ( January :) ) we just go over to Le Gallion but Orient or Anse Marcel would also be options.

• 2 months later...

gary

Gary, My impression of St. Martin is crowds, crowds, and more crowds....not my idea of a nice vacation day. Do you have any suggestion for a port day that would not involve crowds? I enjoy the beach but not one with wall to wall chairs. Are there any natural, unspoiled areas or tours that highlight the natural areas of the island? Do you have any input on the Tall Ship sailing?

Gary, My impression of St. Martin is crowds, crowds, and more crowds....not my idea of a nice vacation day. Do you have any suggestion for a port day that would not involve crowds? I enjoy the beach but not one with wall to wall chairs. Are there any natural, unspoiled areas or tours that highlight the natural areas of the island? Do you have any input on the Tall Ship sailing?

It appears that you will be there on one of the busier days of the season -- there will be crowds.

For a beach, I would offer le Galion, which has still remained mostly invisible to cruisers, but is a very fine beach. It is also very near Orient so a taxi there shouldn't be a problem. There are currently some problems with the bar/restaurant operation (political) but I would still suggest it.

th_DSCN6227.jpg

(click)

If you planned on a car, that would open some options. Most convenient would be Dawn Beach, quite near the Cruise Facility, but not served by bus or taxi.

th_DSCN2681.jpg

Farther away, but a very fine beach would be Grand Case, with fine restaurants or the Lolos. By keeping to the Eastern side of the island, most traffic problems should be averted.

th_DSCN5500.jpg

You could venture out across the island to one of our favorites, Baie Rouge, but you would have to head back early to avoid traffic problems.

th_DSCN5331.jpg

That said, I have no experience with the Tall Ship Experience - Mercedes, but if that is what you are referring to, it looks like a great option.

Good luck,

gary

Editing error.

In the above post I said:

If you planned on a car, that would open some options. Most convenient would be Dawn Beach, quite near the Cruise Facility, but not served by bus or taxi.

The or taxi part was supposed to be in the line about Baie Rouge and read "not regularly served by taxi".

Grand Case can also be reached by taxi.

Sorry for any confusion.

Actually, DD and I were just going to eat Etna ice cream until we burst and then shop for some larimar earrings as she lost hers before we ever made it home. I just found out the day we are in port is St. Maarten Day so shops will be closed, so don't know if we'll be able to buy her earrings. During those 2 weeks we did cover most things but who knows? There might be something great that we were unaware of.

If indeed all shops are closed we definitely need to figure something out. We all love snorkelling...but I really miss that ice cream, lol

I could not locate Etna icecream at the many grocery stores and convenience stores that I went in looking for it on the Dutch side earlier this month while vacationing on the island. I was soooo disappointed when I had to settle for hagan daus for my freezer icecream. The gelato store on the strip at Maho near the parking structure is really good if you are looking for icecream/gelato when out.

If you did come across Etna, would you be so kind and let me know where you found it.

Edited by Karysa

I could not locate Etna icecream at the many grocery stores and convenience stores that I went in looking for it on the Dutch side earlier this month while vacationing on the island. I was soooo disappointed when I had to settle for hagan daus for my freezer icecream. The gelato store on the strip at Maho near the parking structure is really good if you are looking for icecream/gelato when out.

If you did come across Etna, would you be so kind and let me know where you found it.

We ended up staying at the dock area when we were there earlier this month since it was the holiday. We were infuriatingly flabbergasted that NCL was not allowing anyone to bring back waxed, sealed, whole Gouda so just decided to visit the stands around the port. (Scored Jelly Babies and inexpensive Larimar earrings to give as gifts). Last fall we found it (Etna) at a grocery near the Atrium. I think it was Grand Marche.

St. Kitt's - a tour that includes Brimstone Hill - the views alone are amazing

http://www.brimstonehillfortress.org/

Take a look at the drone video at the above site

Martinique - a tour that takes you into the interior - The Route de La Trace is gorgeous

Thanks, yes we did a tour of St. Kitts with Brimstone Hill. Quite nice.

We ended up staying at the dock area when we were there earlier this month since it was the holiday. We were infuriatingly flabbergasted that NCL was not allowing anyone to bring back waxed, sealed, whole Gouda so just decided to visit the stands around the port. (Scored Jelly Babies and inexpensive Larimar earrings to give as gifts). Last fall we found it (Etna) at a grocery near the Atrium. I think it was Grand Marche.

Thx 😊 I tried the Grand Marche at the Puorto Cupecoy but they didn't have any and we had gotten it there last summer so this surprised me.

• 3 weeks later...
So they still make it! Great. Any chance that your sources know of a store in the Simpson Bay Area that sells it?

karysa, Thought I had replied, but I'll bet I did a 'Preview', and didn't get back to hit 'Submit'. :(

Joyce had said to try Market Garden.

Perhaps your DD can check?

gary

• 2 weeks later...
Hands down the best thing to do in St. Maarten is this. http://www.tampabay.com/features/travel/americas-cup-12-metre-challenge-turns-swabbies-to-sailors/2120936 There are an array of roles (even 'bartender').

This link is broken but I'm guessing it for 12 Metre (the World's Cup sailIng race) which is one of my favorite port excursions anywhere ever!

• 3 weeks later...
Hands down the best thing to do in St. Maarten is this. http://www.tampabay.com/features/travel/americas-cup-12-metre-challenge-turns-swabbies-to-sailors/2120936 There are an array of roles (even 'bartender').

This link doesn't work anymore. What was the activity?

Edit. Oops. Should have read further down. I agree it's a great trip...but done it!

Edited by Clay Clayton