Day Trips from Amsterdam

We are looking for a day trip from Amsterdam. Should we hire a car and visit a few areas, or should we take a train somewhere. Not really interested in any castles or museums. We are wanting to see different areas outside Amsterdam. We will be there mid September so will miss all the flowers. Looking for quaint, windmills, real dutch living....that kind of things. A couple places was thinking was Delft or Zaanse Schans. That is as far as I have gotten

Edited by highlandshores

You can easily get the train to these places and many others, I'm sure you are aware you can also get tours from Amsterdam as well. Only you can decide what you want but renting a car in a foreign country is not my idea of a holiday excursion but you drive on the same side of the road as they do so might not be a problem. Enjoy Amsterdam.

I would suggest you consider a visit to nearby Volendam and Marken as they would appear to fit your description of what would interest you. This is a popular option for an out of town visit.

Both are easily done by public transport, no need to hire a car.

You do it as a circular trip, first travelling to one or the other by bus, then take the ferry between the two and return by bus from whichever you chose as your second location.

It is very easy to do on your own and inexpensive, although you could do it as a tour which would restrict your time and flexibility in each.

Lots of online info for bus and ferry timetables, and many images and descriptions of both to help you decide.

You can easily get the train to these places and many others, I'm sure you are aware you can also get tours from Amsterdam as well. Only you can decide what you want but renting a car in a foreign country is not my idea of a holiday excursion but you drive on the same side of the road as they do so might not be a problem. Enjoy Amsterdam.

No we do not want to rent a car, that is for sure. :D:D:D:D

Zaanse Schans can be done in combination with e.g. Alkmaar.

Delft in combination with e.g. Haarlem or Leiden.

If you have enough time, the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen. It isnot realy a museum but shows how life was in the villages when IJsselmeer was still Zuiderzee. It is outdoor. https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

Take a train to Hoorn and continue by old steamtrain, return by ship. Details here:

All easy to do by train. https://www.stoomtram.nl/en

Be aware parking is difficult in The Netherlands and often very expensive. The same for gas. Public transportation is frequent and good.

If you have enough time, the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen. It isnot realy a museum but shows how life was in the villages when IJsselmeer was still Zuiderzee. It is outdoor. https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

Take a train to Hoorn and continue by old steamtrain, return by ship. Details here:

All easy to do by train. https://www.stoomtram.nl/en.

I really enjoyed the steam train boat and Zuiderzee museum when I was there in 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Zaanse Schans can be done in combination with e.g. Alkmaar.

Delft in combination with e.g. Haarlem or Leiden.

All easy to do by train. https://www.stoomtram.nl/en

Be aware parking is difficult in The Netherlands and often very expensive. The same for gas. Public transportation is frequent and good.

I’m just looking at different things to do on our 3 day Amsterdam visit in early October. This will be our third time there so we are looking for some different things to do.

We are both train buffs so the steam train and museum at Hoorn sounds very appealing. I understand we can get there in about 30 minutes from Amsterdam. I’m wondering how easy or difficult it is to find out which train to take. We are considering getting the 3 day Amsterdam Travel Ticket. It seems like a good option

I’m wondering if on the way back we can also take the train to Monnickendam. We were interested in going there before I learned about the train museum.

I was looking for a guided tour outside of Amsterdam for the day, but this seems like something we can manage on our own.

Also we have credit cards with chips. Do we also need PIN number to buy train tickets. I think I also read that you can do e tickets on a phone?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many of your questions are answered on the steamtrain website: https://www.stoomtram.nl/en/faq

From Amsterdam, Centraal take a train to Hoorn and it is just a short walk. People will and can point it out for you of course.

I donot think the trainticket to Hoorn is incl. in any travelticket. In that case simply buy a one way to Hoorn and on the return another one way from Enkhuizen back to Amsterdam. In case you have enough time maybe include the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkuizen that day. It is outdours.

https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

Monnikendam has no trainstation so either do that on another day or skip it. This website gives all information re connections by putting in the adresses. https://9292.nl/en

You donot need a guide in Amsterdam. The town is compact, very walkable and good public transportation. make a canalcruise, always nice. Be aware to book any visit to e.g. Anne Frankhuis 2 months prior!), Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Very populair places.

I’m just looking at different things to do on our 3 day Amsterdam visit in early October. This will be our third time there so we are looking for some different things to do.

We are both train buffs so the steam train and museum at Hoorn sounds very appealing. I understand we can get there in about 30 minutes from Amsterdam. I’m wondering how easy or difficult it is to find out which train to take. We are considering getting the 3 day Amsterdam Travel Ticket. It seems like a good option

I’m wondering if on the way back we can also take the train to Monnickendam. We were interested in going there before I learned about the train museum.

I was looking for a guided tour outside of Amsterdam for the day, but this seems like something we can manage on our own.

Also we have credit cards with chips. Do we also need PIN number to buy train tickets. I think I also read that you can do e tickets on a phone?

Two ideas I hope to use next April when I'm in Amsterdam are Those Dam Boat Guys and a Hungry Birds tour. I've visited Amsterdam twice already but this canal cruise looks a little more personal and fun (and is BYO). The food tour is also well-regarded online and like any good American, I love eating. ;p

We may also do a day trip to Haarlem on our own. My girlfriend is also desperate to walk through some tulip fields. We're on the Rhine Getaway with Viking and I know there's an optional excursion to Keukenhof - but to get to some actual tulip fields, we would have to literally go off the beaten path. We may do this on our own and not pay extra for that specific excursion.

I recently re-watched this episode of a very amusing travel series - it may give you some additional ideas, as well: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/travel-man-48-hours-in/on-demand/65394-003 .

Those Dam Boat Guys: www.thosedamboatguys.com

Hungry Birds: https://www.hungrybirds.nl/

Unfortunately nobody is allowed to walk through the tulip fields! It is private property . Stay out of them but of course you can make photos. Keukenhof uis a good place to see tulips and around Keukenhof you will see some fields too. Easy to do by public transport.

Many of your questions are answered on the steamtrain website: https://www.stoomtram.nl/en/faq

From Amsterdam, Centraal take a train to Hoorn and it is just a short walk. People will and can point it out for you of course.

I donot think the trainticket to Hoorn is incl. in any travelticket. In that case simply buy a one way to Hoorn and on the return another one way from Enkhuizen back to Amsterdam. In case you have enough time maybe include the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkuizen that day. It is outdours.

https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

Monnikendam has no trainstation so either do that on another day or skip it. This website gives all information re connections by putting in the adresses. https://9292.nl/en

You donot need a guide in Amsterdam. The town is compact, very walkable and good public transportation. make a canalcruise, always nice. Be aware to book any visit to e.g. Anne Frankhuis 2 months prior!), Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Very populair places.

Thanks! We have been to Amsterdam twice before. This will be our 3rd visit and we are staying at The Toren again, so we kind of know our way around. We might go to the Van Gogh museum. The first time we were there, the Van Goghs were all in the Rijksmuseum.

We already have tickets for a concert at Concertgebouw, and reservations for the Amsterdam Jewel Dinner cruise. We will probably do another canal cruise. Depending on the weather, we are looking at the Damn Boat Guys and Kinboat. I'm planning to do one day in Amsterdam and then a day trip - probably out to Hoorn. The Zuiderzeemuseum sounds interesting as well.

We weren't looking for a guided tour IN Amsterdam, but some kind of tour to places outside Amsterdam. Prior to discovering the steam train at Hoorn, we were considering Monnikendam, Volendam or Zaanse Schans. Still considering various options.

Can you take a bus from Hoorn to Monnikendam - that would be a possibility. We won't be renting a car - just public transportation.

We will be coming off a river cruise that stops in Kinderdijk, so we are more interested in villages than windmills - though I would always like another windmill.

Thanks for all your help

When I did it in 2010 I did what was called the historical triangle. I started with the regular train to Hoorn, crossed over the track to the steam train museum, took the steam train to Medemblik, then a steam boat across to Enkhuizen for the open air museum, then boat back to Enkhuizen, then train back to Amsterdam (via Hoorn I think). It was a really good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! We have been to Amsterdam twice before. This will be our 3rd visit and we are staying at The Toren again, so we kind of know our way around. We might go to the Van Gogh museum. The first time we were there, the Van Goghs were all in the Rijksmuseum.

We already have tickets for a concert at Concertgebouw, and reservations for the Amsterdam Jewel Dinner cruise. We will probably do another canal cruise. Depending on the weather, we are looking at the Damn Boat Guys and Kinboat. I'm planning to do one day in Amsterdam and then a day trip - probably out to Hoorn. The Zuiderzeemuseum sounds interesting as well.

We weren't looking for a guided tour IN Amsterdam, but some kind of tour to places outside Amsterdam. Prior to discovering the steam train at Hoorn, we were considering Monnikendam, Volendam or Zaanse Schans. Still considering various options.

Can you take a bus from Hoorn to Monnikendam - that would be a possibility. We won't be renting a car - just public transportation.

We will be coming off a river cruise that stops in Kinderdijk, so we are more interested in villages than windmills - though I would always like another windmill.

Thanks for all your help

Yes there is a frequent busconnection from Hoorn to Monnickendam, just check that ov9292 website which I gave earlier. It will take about 40 minutes. Put in Hoorn station to Monnickendam (choose the righ one!), it will be bus EBS 314.

That same bus continues to Amsterdam. Also this might not be included in any card.

Re windmills at Zaanse Schans it is a short bus or trainride from Amsterdam, easy to do yourself also. Entrance is free (also great cheese tasting....), but you pay when you want to enter a windmill. https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Yes there is a frequent busconnection from Hoorn to Monnickendam, just check that ov9292 website which I gave earlier. It will take about 40 minutes. Put in Hoorn station to Monnickendam (choose the righ one!), it will be bus EBS 314.

That same bus continues to Amsterdam. Also this might not be included in any card.

Re windmills at Zaanse Schans it is a short bus or trainride from Amsterdam, easy to do yourself also. Entrance is free (also great cheese tasting....), but you pay when you want to enter a windmill. https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Thanks once again! Zaanse Schans would be perfect if it had the steam train [emoji1]. The lure of the train is strong. We will definitely do Hoorn, but Monnickendam may have to wait. We will see if we have time. Really looking forward to visiting the Netherlands again! We are trying to work it into other trips as well.

Two ideas I hope to use next April when I'm in Amsterdam are Those Dam Boat Guys and a Hungry Birds tour. I've visited Amsterdam twice already but this canal cruise looks a little more personal and fun (and is BYO). The food tour is also well-regarded online and like any good American, I love eating. ;p

We may also do a day trip to Haarlem on our own. My girlfriend is also desperate to walk through some tulip fields. We're on the Rhine Getaway with Viking and I know there's an optional excursion to Keukenhof - but to get to some actual tulip fields, we would have to literally go off the beaten path. We may do this on our own and not pay extra for that specific excursion.

I mean this in the nicest way, but please consider what it means to be a good guest in a country. The tulip fields are people's livelihood and ever since the rise of instagram etc. the farmers have had a lot of trouble with their crops being destroyed by tourists. Your girlfriend might have this romantic idea of frolicking in the fields or wants to post the ultimate selfie but it is forbidden for a reason. Her pictures are not worth a family having to do with much less income. Please let her read this too so she understands.

The Partyboats are a pox and a pest on the city. The people who live here are getting so so so fed up with all the tourists (just like the people in Venice) and unlike some Carribean islands etc we do not need the tourist money (standard of living here is higher then in the US). One of the reasons we dislike tourists more and more is the incredible noise pollution from these boats, blasting loud music and full of people who are drunk out of their minds with their BYO alcohol. Currently the city is looking at legislation to ban them outright.

All the other suggestions sound great, and may I add a daytrip to Maastricht. Beautiful city, only 2 hours by (really beautiful) train, for about 30 euros per ticket.

Please be a responsible guest because you are ruining it for everyone if you only consider your own (and girlfriend's) needs.

Oh No [emoji33]. We don’t want to be Those Damn Tourists! We have been looking at canal cruises in smaller boats than the typical larger ones. We looked at Those Damn Boat Guys, but had a feeling it wasn’t quite our style. Has anyone done the Kinboat tours?

We have reservations for the Amsterdam Jewel Dinner Cruise - which we have done before and it’s wonderful. We have tickets for a concert at the Concertgebouw and plans for the trip out to Hoorn. I think we will have to put Monnickendam off until our next visit.

We have 2 full days and one partial day so we are trying to plan for the days we are not going to Hoorn.

Is the visit out to Zaanse Schans an all day trip? Is there anything to see in Hoorn or that area other than the train and the Zuiderzee Museum?

One of these days we have to plan a longer stay in the Netherlands.

I mean this in the nicest way, but please consider what it means to be a good guest in a country. The tulip fields are people's livelihood and ever since the rise of instagram etc. the farmers have had a lot of trouble with their crops being destroyed by tourists. Your girlfriend might have this romantic idea of frolicking in the fields or wants to post the ultimate selfie but it is forbidden for a reason. Her pictures are not worth a family having to do with much less income. Please let her read this too so she understands.

The Partyboats are a pox and a pest on the city. The people who live here are getting so so so fed up with all the tourists (just like the people in Venice) and unlike some Carribean islands etc we do not need the tourist money (standard of living here is higher then in the US). One of the reasons we dislike tourists more and more is the incredible noise pollution from these boats, blasting loud music and full of people who are drunk out of their minds with their BYO alcohol. Currently the city is looking at legislation to ban them outright.

All the other suggestions sound great, and may I add a daytrip to Maastricht. Beautiful city, only 2 hours by (really beautiful) train, for about 30 euros per ticket.

Please be a responsible guest because you are ruining it for everyone if you only consider your own (and girlfriend's) needs.

I completely understand, LisaNorthseadreamer, and appreciate the thoughtful comments. We live in Chicago and while it is hardly as crowded as cities in Europe, I cringe often enough at behavior from tourists (and plenty of locals, for that matter) that I never intend to stick out in the same way when we travel.

I will keep looking for a responsible way to see a tulip field up close - if that's not possible, I'm sure the marked pathways at the Keukenhof gardens will more than suffice.

My impression about "Those Dam Boat Guys" was that it was a smaller boat run by livelier guides, but not necessarily a raucous, bacchanalian tour. We are not party boat people so I may have to revisit the reviews I've read previously. The Jewel Dinner cruise may not be our speed but I'm sure I'll find something that finds the middle ground for a smaller, more curated canal tour.

My impression about "Those Dam Boat Guys" was that it was a smaller boat run by livelier guides, but not necessarily a raucous, bacchanalian tour. We are not party boat people so I may have to revisit the reviews I've read previously. The Jewel Dinner cruise may not be our speed but I'm sure I'll find something that finds the middle ground for a smaller, more curated canal tour.

We are taking an evening wine and cheese canal tour with live commentary by Lindbergh Travel (booked through Viator) while in Amsterdam. Maybe this would suit as a middle ground option.

The tulip fields are people's livelihood and ever since the rise of instagram etc. the farmers have had a lot of trouble with their crops being destroyed by tourists. Your girlfriend might have this romantic idea of frolicking in the fields or wants to post the ultimate selfie but it is forbidden for a reason.

I'm also Dutch and feel I should respond. Cruisers in Europe are not the 20-30 year old noisy, drunken, stoned, pissing in the canals, and maybe even crop destroying (which is new to me) people. We all know which nearby island supplies Amsterdam with such "tourists".

One thing is for certain, they are not the ones who booked an expensive cruise, flew 12 hours or even more to get here, all excited to see Petersburg or Edinburgh. They are not the upscale restaurant, 5 star hotel, Van Gogh museum, Zaanse Schans and Anne Frank museum visiting people. I do know that the current very left wing council even wants to ban cruise ships from Amsterdam, but the only reason for that is that their voters are jealous of people enjoying a vacation they can't afford.

we do not need the tourist money

"we"? While I'm not personally selling cheese or tours to tourists, tourism accounts for more than 6 percent of our national income!

Anyway,

A couple places was thinking was Delft or Zaanse Schans. That is as far as I have gotten

Delft is a bit boring. Do visit Zaanse Schans. If time is permitting, you may like Utrecht which is 20 miles from Amsterdam and consistently scoring high as an "undiscovered place" in Holland. Mid september should be just warm enough to enjoy a meal next to the canals at the unique wharfs.

I completely understand, LisaNorthseadreamer, and appreciate the thoughtful comments. We live in Chicago and while it is hardly as crowded as cities in Europe, I cringe often enough at behavior from tourists (and plenty of locals, for that matter) that I never intend to stick out in the same way when we travel.

I will keep looking for a responsible way to see a tulip field up close - if that's not possible, I'm sure the marked pathways at the Keukenhof gardens will more than suffice.

We love the Amsterdam Jewel Dinner cruise because it is a lovely way to have dinner, but it’s not a curated canal tour. There is no narration at all. If you are looking for a fabulous dining venue, this is it. If it’s a tour you want, perhaps look into Kinboat Cruise Like a Local. We are considering this in addition to the Jewel Dinner cruise.

Cyber Kat and Cruisen Elf, thank you for the reccomendations! KINBoat was already on the shortlist but I'll give the reviews another pass for sure. The wine & cheese tour via Viator (this one, correct?) looks like an amazing value, too.

Thanks again!

Yes, that's the same tour we booked! There were several of that type available with various vendors but we selected that one because it specifically said there was live commentary. I should be clear that we haven't taken the tour yet, but we are looking forward to it.