RAIN BOOTS vs GALOSHES

We will be cruising in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland during the last two weeks of September. Ports of call are Southampton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Liverpool, Dublin, Holyhead, Waterford, and Portland. Several tours will include touring castle grounds and sites like Holy Island/Lindisfarne Priory, Giant Causeway, and Lulworth & Durdle Door. Will galoshes with rugged grip bottoms that we can put over our travel shoes be comfortable and sufficient for walking on different terrains, including mud, or should we invest in good rain boots?

I bought a pair of lightweight and waterproof hiking shoes with good grip for my recent BI cruise. Turned out we were lucky and did not have rain, but the shoes were so comfortable for my entire trip. Had it rained, it could be quite slippery at Giant Causeway, Rope Bridge and the castles with stone walkways and stairways. At first, I also considered rain boots, but my friends were against it, cos the rain boots don't breathe, and then they would not have good grips. I am so happy I bought waterproof hiking shoes instead.

This thread is lost in translation. Galoshes in English- not US English have a different meaning. In the UK the word is usually used for an overshot, it is a Dickensian phrase. It is not interchangeable for a boot which is the US use of the word.