Question about specialty restaurant reservations

cruisingirls

I booked last minute for our 3/1 cruise and this will be our 1st on NCL. I have been lurking and reading a lot but I am not completely clear on the reservation system. What I understand so far is that there is a desk to make specialty reservations or you can call the number from your stateroom-is this correct? Is it simple to get reservations the day of, or do you need to make them days ahead of time-perhaps setting them all up on the first day of the cruise? Is it mandatory to have reservations for the specialty restaurants-or do they take walk ins?

Also, what should we expect when dining in the main dining rooms? Will there be lines of people waiting to be seated (I assume this would depend on timing)-is it generally a quick wait?

Sorry for all the questions, but since this is our first freestyle cruise we are just trying to get a feel for it. Any other freestyle 101 tips would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

You don't mention which ship you're on, so it's hard to address the main restaurants. You may make reservations for the specialty restaurants either the day of or one day ahead, unless you are in a suite in which case you can make them through the concierge Day 1 for your entire cruise. And, depending which ship you're on, you can easily walk into some of the specialty restaurants (e.g., Sushi on the Gem almost always, Orchid frequently).

Enjoy your cruise! :)

All I can tell you is our experience on the Star a few months ago. For specialty dining you can only book the day of or the day before. Some say you have to get in line early in the morning and everything is usually gone. We didn't have this experience at all nor did anyone in our group of 21. We waited til after breakfast so the lines were non existant. We booked Endless Summer with no problems, booked Cagney's the same, but we did choose 9pm because of the 2 for 1 and my cheap cousin: we also booked Soho with no trouble for about 7pm. We tried to book the Italian restaurant but we didn't try til next to the last night. That one we couldn't get.

The main dining dining rooms were fine. We ate as early as 6pm and as late at 9pm, never waited a minute. We were flexible, willing to share a table or eat alone, we didn't care.

I hope this helps you a little.

Nita

I hope you'll love the Gem! I was aboard her for 20 days within a six week period. :D Can't wait to go back!

I found the process of making reservations for specialty restaurants on the Gem to be quite painless. I was very surprised, while walking through the Garden Cafe' one morning on the way to that awesome capuccino machine, to find they've got a reservations desk set up where they sell beer and wine later in the day. There is also a reservations desk outside Magenta all day, and I think one or two other places. And, of course, you can call, too.

I never had any problem getting reservations for when and where I wanted, even when traveling in steerage. Others will tell you differently. I don't know why it's so easy for some, and so difficult for others? But I will admit that I never tried for reservations for Teppanyaki -- it's no fun for me without a little fire :cool: -- which because of its limited seating is the hardest to get.

In 20 days I only had to wait for dinner in Grand Pacific or Magenta once. The wait is usually only as long as it takes to seat the people in line in front of you.

Enjoy your cruise!!! :)

Don't be afraid to ask at the specialty restaurant reservation desk if they are offering any 2 for 1 specials anytime during the week.

Ask to see the menus of the specialty restaurants before making reservations.

If you want reservations for any of the small restaurants, make them as soon as possible after boarding. Don't wait for a "special". They sell out quickly, especially for days at sea.

Often you can ask to see the daily menu of the "main" restaurants ahead of time so you can see if they will be serving your favorite dish (Bakes Alaska, prime rib, etc.) If the restaurant desk doesn't have them, just ask the maitre'd in the restaurant. They're usually happy to be helpful.

Don't be afraid to ask at the specialty restaurant reservation desk if they are offering any 2 for 1 specials anytime during the week.

Ask to see the menus of the specialty restaurants before making reservations.

If you want reservations for any of the small restaurants, make them as soon as possible after boarding. Don't wait for a "special". They sell out quickly, especially for days at sea.

Often you can ask to see the daily menu of the "main" restaurants ahead of time so you can see if they will be serving your favorite dish (Bakes Alaska, prime rib, etc.) If the restaurant desk doesn't have them, just ask the maitre'd in the restaurant. They're usually happy to be helpful.

Just off the Sun and we could make reservations for the ENTIRE WEEK on the first day. The reservation desk was our very first stop once onboard. There were only 2 - 3 people in front of us - later that afternoon there must have been 75 people in line! Worked out great - we had a plan as to where we wanted to eat on what day and we got them all at once.:)

Apparently the universe knows who starts out their vacation prepared to hate NCL and Freestyle dining. Those who hate Freestyle dining can never get a reservation. They can call at 8:00am sharp and not get a reservation. They can line up starting at 6:45am and not get a reservation. They have to wait 30-60 minutes to be seated in the main dining room. People who go with the flow, never have these same issues it seems. They can make reservations almost at will, even without sailing in a suite or above. This is the whole secret to Freestyle dining :D

We will be on Pride of America in May. We were bumped onto this ship when they decided to end Pride of Aloha, and will not be boarding until the second day due to a conference. Hopefully, this will not really mess things up. We were not thrilled with Freestyle, not because there was a problem getting reservations, but because it was the added hassle of where to make reservations when, which is exactly why we like to cruise in the first place, this is just something you don't have to deal with. Freestyle is not for everyone, so there is no need to have the attitude that Chris has.

If anyone can give me advice on what they think will happen on POA when we board, I would appreciate it. Also, do any of the restaurants require a jacket for men?

We will be on Pride of America in May. We were bumped onto this ship when they decided to end Pride of Aloha, and will not be boarding until the second day due to a conference. Hopefully, this will not really mess things up. We were not thrilled with Freestyle, not because there was a problem getting reservations, but because it was the added hassle of where to make reservations when, which is exactly why we like to cruise in the first place, this is just something you don't have to deal with. Freestyle is not for everyone, so there is no need to have the attitude that Chris has.

If anyone can give me advice on what they think will happen on POA when we board, I would appreciate it. Also, do any of the restaurants require a jacket for men?

I'm not sure what my atitude was :confused: .

No restaurant "requires" a jacket for men.

because it was the added hassle of where to make reservations when, which is exactly why we like to cruise in the first place, this is just something you don't have to deal with.

I completely respect that freestyle is not for everyone. Obviously a lot of people love traditional cruising, but I don't understand this comment at all. You don't HAVE to make reservations. That is the beauty, it is your choice. If you don't want to think about it, just walk up to one of the main dining rooms and enjoy your dinner. But obviously you are not letting it stop you from cruising, so ENJOY your cruise. I just don't want newbies to get the wrong impression that there is a requirement to make a reservation. My first freestyle cruise, I never made a reservation. I was a newbie and didn't want to try to figure it all out or spend the money. Then on my last night, on a whim, we walked up to Le Bistro and had a fabulous meal (being seated immediately because it was early-5:30). I loved it and have been enjoying the specialty restaurants ever since.

You don't HAVE to make reservations. That is the beauty, it is your choice. If you don't want to think about it, just walk up to one of the main dining rooms and enjoy your dinner.

Well said, Bermuder!!!

I think maybe this is the thing RobinSilver didn't understand, and many Freestyle haters don't understand, so it bears repeating in BIG BOLD LETTERS:

You don't HAVE to make reservations.

I'm not sure what my attitude was :confused: .

No restaurant "requires" a jacket for men.

Silly chris...your attitude was ...gasp... a positive one.:D

Even more shocking, you seemed to imply that one could have a good time simply by choosing to have a good time:) ; and that the opposite would hold as well.

in other words ...people will be as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I think Franklin said that.

You may want to verify that you can board the cruise on day two. First phone call we were told it was ok, but upon booking we found that they will not permit this.

We've been on cruises where we wanted to board at a port other than the originating port. We always, always get permission in writing from the cruise line -- to avoid being told at the pier we cannot board.

NCL is a lot stricter about NOT allowing this than some other lines. They have declined us in the past. However, we were just on the GEM that originated in New York on 6 FEBRUARY. When we arrived in SAINT-THOMAS two days later, there were some passengers who had gotten permission to board the cruise there.

I booked last minute for our 3/1 cruise and this will be our 1st on NCL. I have been lurking and reading a lot but I am not completely clear on the reservation system. What I understand so far is that there is a desk to make specialty reservations or you can call the number from your stateroom-is this correct? Is it simple to get reservations the day of, or do you need to make them days ahead of time-perhaps setting them all up on the first day of the cruise? Is it mandatory to have reservations for the specialty restaurants-or do they take walk ins?

Also, what should we expect when dining in the main dining rooms? Will there be lines of people waiting to be seated (I assume this would depend on timing)-is it generally a quick wait?

Sorry for all the questions, but since this is our first freestyle cruise we are just trying to get a feel for it. Any other freestyle 101 tips would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

IMHO, 3/1 the young children/college crowd will still be in school so you will not have the young family/college crowd.

I think the dining rooms will be busy early and they will offer 1/2 price for the specialty restaurants at a later time of the evening.

You may make your reservations for same day or one day in advance. And, yes specialty restaurants do take walk-ins or they will ask you to come back at a specific time.

If you are "crusingirls"...you will all have a GREAT time no matter what time you have dinner:)

Be sure to check your "daily" each evening for the following day so you don't miss anything.

Have a great time:)

I'd been on two other NCL cruises in the past 15 months, so I didn't start out not liking Freestyle. I certainly don't hate it. However we were one of those who didn't have good luck getting reservations when we wanted them. It sounds like you are calling me and others who did have a problem liars. I usually go with the flow. The flow time was 6:30..that's when we seemed to flow in a long line trying to get into the main dining room. According to many others we talked to on our cruise two weeks ago, we weren't unusual. Of course we were on a ship having Noro problems, so a lot of extra help was needed in the buffet, and some of the help were out sick. That might explain it, but I don't understand why you have to have such an attitude about those of us who did have problems.

Apparently the universe knows who starts out their vacation prepared to hate NCL and Freestyle dining. Those who hate Freestyle dining can never get a reservation. They can call at 8:00am sharp and not get a reservation. They can line up starting at 6:45am and not get a reservation. They have to wait 30-60 minutes to be seated in the main dining room. People who go with the flow, never have these same issues it seems. They can make reservations almost at will, even without sailing in a suite or above. This is the whole secret to Freestyle dining :D

We didn't HAVE to make reservations at the specialty restaurants. Just if we wanted to continue to eat at our usual time of 6:30, when many others seem to also have a usual time (I believe many wanted to eat at about 6:30 to be sure to make the early show). We only were able to get them (reservations) easily for one night..and with difficulty another night. After that, we just learned to change our eating time..after all it was freestyle..so what if we were not free to eat when we are used to eating.

I completely respect that freestyle is not for everyone. Obviously a lot of people love traditional cruising, but I don't understand this comment at all. You don't HAVE to make reservations. That is the beauty, it is your choice. If you don't want to think about it, just walk up to one of the main dining rooms and enjoy your dinner.

I am definately a planner and my question was to determine how the whole process works. I am pretty new to cruising. My first on Norwegian and this is our family's second. I picked Norwegian specifically because we like to go with the flow and not have to eat exactly at a certain time. We are schedule to cruise on the Norwegian Pearl on July 13th to Alaska and really excited!

Chris, I like your thoughts. We went to Italy last year and really had to learn to flow. Sometimes this provides a lot of opportunities to enjoy your trip a different way.:D

I picked Norwegian specifically because we like to go with the flow and not have to eat exactly at a certain time. We are schedule to cruise on the Norwegian Pearl on July 13th to Alaska and really excited!

When it works, it works well, and I always go into a cruise assuming everything will work well. If you don't want to eat at a certain time, then certainly the dining room would be the place of choice..as long as you realize if the other 1000 people like your choice, you may have to wait.

We did try to mitigate 'damages' and tried to get reservations at the other restauraants, but as I said in another post, we had difficulty getting times we wanted to eat at (if you like to eat at 9:00 - 9:30, you prob won't have any problems) and I did try a couple of times at 7 am, but maybe not enough, because we were on vacation, and wanted to sleep in a bit. Perhaps because we had Noro, maybe that added to why the dining room was slower than others have found it (for getting in and getting served). We were able to eat light food at the Blue Lagoon without a wait. If we enjoyed alcohol, we would have spent time in a bar waiting for the crowds to go down, as others have mentioned.

On our first two cruises on NCL we didn't have to wait to actually get in to dine, so that may be the usual. This last time was annoying enough, that we are looking forward to knowing, on the next cruise when we are going to be eating, and planning our time around it.

I'd been on two other NCL cruises in the past 15 months, so I didn't start out not liking Freestyle. I certainly don't hate it. However we were one of those who didn't have good luck getting reservations when we wanted them. It sounds like you are calling me and others who did have a problem liars. I usually go with the flow. The flow time was 6:30..that's when we seemed to flow in a long line trying to get into the main dining room. According to many others we talked to on our cruise two weeks ago, we weren't unusual. Of course we were on a ship having Noro problems, so a lot of extra help was needed in the buffet, and some of the help were out sick. That might explain it, but I don't understand why you have to have such an attitude about those of us who did have problems.

Never called anyone a liar. Never implied that anyone was a liar. Not sure what my atttitude was. Sorry if I offended, it wasn't my intention. I can honestly say that I didn't have any problems. I'm sorry you did. Really I am.

We were on the Feb. 6th/16th sailing on the GEM. The only half price specials offered were from 9:00PM until 10:00PM. We dine earlier so we had to make reservations a day in advance. They wouldn't take reservations earlier than one day ahead, but we got into all of the specialty restaurants and at an hour that was good for us. It looks as if NCL is all over the place with their half price off deals.

Archived