Fort Lauderdale or Miami, on a budget!

Mr and Mrs C

We are a group of 15 flying into Fort Lauderdale Jan. 30 for a cruise on the Bliss out of Miami, leaving February 2. Trying to find a hotel that is budget friendly, (we are Canadian and have to add around 35% for the exchange).

We’ve stayed in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami before, some were ok for one night while the other one was very nice near the port, however with taxes and exchange it’s nearing the $400 a night mark, I was hoping for something no more then $200. We don’t need anything fancy.

Usually I fly, and some in our family drive so we’ve never had an issue of not having a vehicle, this time everyone is flying. I’m hoping to find a clean, safe hotel either in Fort Lauderdale or Miami that won’t break the bank. Not sure if we will rent cars, or use some other mode of transportation, depends on where we stay I guess.

Wondering if we are better off getting to Miami and finding a hotel that has a free shuttle to the port? Or are we better renting a vehicle in Fort Lauderdale and dropping it off somewhere in Miami?

Anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In general, hotels in Miami will be slightly more expensive than comparable properties in the FLL area.

Since you are flying into FLL the simple solution is to stay in the FLL area, and then shuttle or Uber to POM the morning of your cruise. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info. I would reach out to some of the shuttle companies to see if you can get a discounted group rate - check SAS, QLS, MJS, etc. You might also check with Larry's limos for private transport options. Or you can use 3 UberXLs to get 15 passengers and bags from FLL to Miami at about $70 per UberXL.

Most of the hotels in Miami offering "free" port shuttles are out near the MIA airport - not the most attractive area. You could use Tri-Rail (about $5 each) to get from FLL to MIA and then a hotel shuttle to get to your hotel. Seems like a lot of trouble for minimal savings to me.

Your call! ;)

We booked Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon in Miami. The price was decent, comes with breakfast and airport shuttle and gets pretty good reviews. Shops and stuff nearby. From google maps, it looks like about a 15-20 drive/uber to the port . Can let you know end of August how we like it (have it booked 2x for cruises out of Miami).

P.S. - We're Canadian too and book from Expedia (CAD price)

PPS - Guess airport shuttle doesn't help you though if flying into FLL

Stay in FLL or Hollywood then transfer to Port Miami.

If budget is #1 criteria, you'll find great deals with rooms around MIA airport but of course it won't be as nice as Miami Beach or Downtown Miami.

If budget is #1 criteria, you'll find great deals with rooms around MIA airport but of course it won't be as nice as Miami Beach or Downtown Miami.

OP is flying into FLL - getting from there to MIA airport area hotels will eat up most of the savings. :(

OP is flying into FLL - getting from there to MIA airport area hotels will eat up most of the savings. :(

we are doing this and ubering to Miami, which appears to be reasonable. It was the only way I could get a decent beach hotel in our price range for 2 days precruise.

You might want to check rates at Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale near 17th Street using http://www.valuetrips.com however their bookings won't be open for 2019 until this September. With a large group you'll need several reservations. Great location and right next to the Harbor Shopping with a Publix market, restaurants, shops. More than likely you won't need a car rental.

Hyatt Place offers a shuttle from FLL to their hotel for $2.00 per room and hot buffet breakfast a great very popular pre-cruise hotel for many of us.

You can then consider private transportation using http://www.southfloridashuttles.com to get from hotel to POM and then back to FLL for your return. We have used both companies when we travel with extended family.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Remember to consider the location of the hotel though. It you find a cheap hotel, it might not be in an area that you can easily get around. That will mean taxis/ubers or rental cars. Ft. Lauderdale generally has cheaper hotels. You'll need to look around at a map with the hotels on where you want to stay. So if you save $80.00 a night staying in some cheaper hotel but then need to spend $50.00 a day on Uber/taxi/rental car you might as well spend $80.00 more and stay in a nice good dense area.

My first suggestion for this amount of pre-cruise days is check out Miami Beach and see if you can find anything that is on the cheaper end. I did a search on your dates. Not including taxes YVE Hotel has a room at $213/night or Aloft Brickell has one at $187.00 a night. I saw many hotels under $200/night in Miami Beach, but they are on the more basic end, but not dumps.

Looking in Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood, I actually had a harder time to find better choices. So make sure to look at Miami and Miami Beach, its not always true that its always cheaper in Ft. Lauderdale area when comparing it to Miami. From what I saw in Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood I would have taken the YVE or Alton over them 100%.

We booked Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon in Miami. The price was decent, comes with breakfast and airport shuttle and gets pretty good reviews. Shops and stuff nearby. From google maps, it looks like about a 15-20 drive/uber to the port . Can let you know end of August how we like it (have it booked 2x for cruises out of Miami).

P.S. - We're Canadian too and book from Expedia (CAD price)

PPS - Guess airport shuttle doesn't help you though if flying into FLL

That airport is not near anything walking distance. Not a bad location as long as you are ready to drive/uber/taxi everywhere. Fine location for one-night just for a bed and some breakfast and close store for supplies.