Difference between SY and SZ signature suite on Zuiderdam?

KruisingKaren

I'm looking at booking Signature Suite SZ8097 on the Zuiderdam. Looking at the deck plans I see that most of the Signature Suites are named with an SY prefix, but mine has an SZ prefix. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Edited by KruisingKaren

There are just two SZ on each of the six ships that have them, and they are primarily used to sell Signature Suite guarantees. They are generally over-sold, so most of the people who book them will end up in an SY or higher.

Edited by catl331

Well, I think I missed an opportunity. The travel agent asked if I wanted a guaranteed stateroom or the one she quoted me on and I asked for the one she quoted me on (SZ8097). Do you think I will have an opportunity to change that request?

If you don’t want that stateroom, tell your TA to book a different one. Have her tell you what’s available, look at the deck plans, and decide. As for a guarantee stateroom, you have to be willing to take the stateroom in the category you book in the worst possible location, because that is what could happen. Or you could get lucky. Since we care about our location, we never book guarantees.

8097 is right under the buffet. My strong personal preference is to have cabins above and below me.
Yes, but it's below the carpeted area. We have had similarly situated cabins and never had a noise problem. We liked being just a quick flight of stairs from the Lido.

Yes, but it's below the carpeted area. We have had similarly situated cabins and never had a noise problem. We liked being just a quick flight of stairs from the Lido.

Agree with Carol. I have been under the Lido on different ships and as long as we are under carpeted areas, it's not been an issue.

Well, I think I missed an opportunity. The travel agent asked if I wanted a guaranteed stateroom or the one she quoted me on and I asked for the one she quoted me on (SZ8097). Do you think I will have an opportunity to change that request?

You should be fine with 8097. In fact, I picked 8099 (one cabin aft of yours) for our upcoming cruise. I like being on deck 8 (but under the carpeted area of the buffet) as it is so easy to run up one flight of stairs to the Lido deck or a quick snack or coffee (or to hit the pool/hot tubs).

IMO, the main reason offers the SZ category at all is to be able to advertise a lower "suite" price. Most times they only offer these as guarantees, so that way they advertise a lower suite price, but when you want to select your exact cabin they can say "Oh, if you want that it will cost you a bit more". Great deal for them.