Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

I am a teacher also and will be on the Epic in 7 days!! Since it will be spring break for a lot of families, I might have to go into teacher mode also. Hopefully, the H2O area is really kids free.

Let us know if have to use the teacher stare.

I haven't started packing yet, but I have started piles of things

that we won’t need between now and then. Some of my favorite must haves are:

Travel folder- to keep track of important paperwork

magnetic hooks or clips- for hanging things around the room

Highlighter- keep track of what I want to do in the Freestyle daily

Water bottles- to stay hydrated

Ziplock baggies- for snacks that we take with us- we’ve done everything from order room service the night before (club sandwich no mayo) to make pbj sandwiches at the buffet during breakfast time - Side note: some ports have dogs sniffing bags as you get off- in that case we lose our lunch but it’s not a big deal.

Night light- I have some battery operated candles- also good for ambiance

Travel games- left, right, center or a deck of cards- these are good for waiting around times

I take a backpack for when we leave the ship, but I have a smaller bag that is good for taking to the pool- book, towels, sunscreen, Freestyle daily

Post it notes- to leave a note for your room steward, roommate, or friends in other rooms

3 way outlet- there are never enough plugs for all my stuff

Laundry bag

Small first aid kit- I take this everywhere- neosporin, band aids, pain meds, stomach meds

New to my list is swim doodles- they are inflatable noodles. 6 for $14 on Amazon- no need to rent a float at GSC- we won’t need all 6 if someone wants to share- hunt us down. (thanks to another CC post on things to not forget) These came recently and all six of them are kinda heavy so if you are flying that might be a problem.

I am looking forward to a review of this ship that is recent. We are going during Spring Break also but not until 2019, so I am going to live Vicariously through you for this year.

I am getting very excited. I hope I provide something helpful.

This should be a fun thread as I am also mega sarcastic, and I embody both you and DH's spending habits (refuse to buy Chapstick at over $1/tube, but next cruise is in a suite). Whatever, I make it work. Subscribing!

Some earlier commenters made me think of Drax:

And I also saw that thread that included the inflatable pool noodles, and a set are currently in my luggage! LOL

This should be a fun thread as I am also mega sarcastic, and I embody both you and DH's spending habits (refuse to buy Chapstick at over $1/tube, but next cruise is in a suite). Whatever, I make it work. Subscribing!

Some earlier commenters made me think of Drax:

And I also saw that thread that included the inflatable pool noodles, and a set are currently in my luggage! LOL

Aaah! You get me.

Love your humor! I'm often forced into being frugal because of not being frugal! Now, I need help. Having only been on CC for 15 years, I haven't figured out how to subscribe to a thread! So If Someone Can Help, Id Be Grateful!

Love your humor! I'm often forced into being frugal because of not being frugal! Now, I need help. Having only been on CC for 15 years, I haven't figured out how to subscribe to a thread! So If Someone Can Help, Id Be Grateful!

On the iPad, check the check mark upper right. On computer just have to find where it says subscribe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I spend hours reading posts on CC and other travel websites, I am always looking for some wonderful thing that I may have missed. I like to find the secret decks, secret stairs, hints for the least used elevator, and if there are freebies (deck of cards and postcards on Carnival). The other day I was engrossed in such an activity and DH said “I think it is too late to back out now if you find something bad.” I had to explain that I just overlook all of the bad. Almost all of the bad is just a personal opinion and I will not live my life looking for the ugly. If the buffet line is really long at lunch then wait 45 minutes- you’ll be the only one there. Pool too crowded- come back during dinner time. The truly bad stuff are things that usually happen once in a lifetime sorts of things like rooms flooding, rotavirus outbreak (I know these happen more that once, but what are the chances that you will be on that one ship?), or ship mechanical problems. Poor service, crowded areas, and dirty areas are things that I can work around. I am paying a lot of money to have a good time- however, that does not translate to the people around me having to create that good time for me. While doing my reading I recently found that on the Epic there is a bridge viewing room (go forward on 13, starboard), the "secret" staircase (aft deck 8 - 13 port, and aft 8 -14 starboard), and a sundeck with the comfy loungers (looking forward from the pool deck take the elevator on the right to 18), and then walk forward to the front. I also found out that deck 19 is a “Freestyle” deck, thanks Oakman58 for the great play by play of your experience. I think maybe option #2 would have been best, then you would have gotten the full Epic experience and got your pictures of deck 19. Now, even after I become all dark and spicy from the tanning bed, no one (except DH) wants me going Freestyle. We will probably have to visit, yes I know how immature!! Yes, yes we are. I will probably act shocked and just leave but I’m sure there will be some work in getting DH to not stare or take any pictures, jk he wouldn’t (I don’t think).

I've been reading about the person overboard and the spring breakers on a 4 day and all I can say is wow!!! People just loose all sense of decency when posting things online. Not ever thought that enters your brain should be public knowledge. I know- free speech and all- just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean you should.

As I'm posting we have 21 days 8 hours and 51 minutes until we are off. I have decided that I am way more excited than the average grown up should be. I am sooo ready. There are lots of major things going on at work between now and then and the only time DH isn't working or thinking about working is when we are out of cell phone range. So tick, clock tick.

I forgot to add a collapsible cooler to my list of must haves. I have one that looks like a large purse, it it well insulated and doesn’t leak. I think I got it at Walmart. We have used it in the past used it to take our carry on sodas to the pool deck. We love the fruit juices that are only available at breakfast so we fill up a water bottle to have some throughout the day. We’ve always used these as our mixers. However, this time we have UBP so we won’t need to do that. But I saw a great suggestion on another board (sorry I forgot who to give credit to). They suggested that since sometimes you can order 2 drinks at a time, get a beer along with your with your favorite pool beverage and add it to your cooler. Then you have extras for when you are relaxing in the room or to take with you when you go into port. You will have to drink them all while off the ship- they won’t let you bring them back on. It would also be a good idea for sodas, but I recently read that can soda isn’t included in the UBP, so that won't work.

That’s not so bad!

I’ve been on for 15 as well and only visit CC when booking a cruise , then at about 100 days out. Booked in July, came to look for excursion advice in Italy-and I FORGOT my screen name! ( I remember it now but no longer have the associated email to get a new password)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking forward to your review, my first NCL ship will be the Epic next year!

I can be frugal in some respects and not in others - I'll pay for things I really want to to experience, but some things like specialty restaurants I'm like .. why pay when there's so much good food for free!

643xb5.jpg[/img]

We are 13 days away and I am very excited. This is my current situation so I can't complain but salt air and sea breezes will be wonderful. For those still following along here are the things I am doing at this point to get ready.

We will be driving to Port Canaveral and our original plan along was to leave very early Saturday morning to arrive at the port around 1ish. However, the closer we get, the more I think we should leave Friday afternoon. 10 hours is a long trip and it leaves you exhausted the whole first day. If we had. a sea day first that would be ok, but I don't want to so some thought needs to go into this. I realise this is probably a no brainer for most, but it would be adding a hotel stay to our already expensive trip so we will have to mull it over. That mostly means I have to spend the week reminding him of how much he doesn't enjoy long drives and that we don't want to sleep through the first day. Tha car recently got an oil change and yesterday got new front tires. I also went ahead and cleaned the interior. One less thing to worry about the week of.

This week I have been looking at parking and think I will go with “Lots of Honor” it is a service-disabled veteran-owned business that helps the Homes for Troops program. So I get to feel charitable and save a little money. It will cost around $75 for the week. It would be around $120 to park at the port.

I am getting closer to actually putting things in my suitcase. I got one out and open so I can start moving things there. While I was thinking about packing I decided I better do a swimsuit check. It is a good thing that I did. I like to wear swim shorts when we do excursions- both for comfort and for coverability and my good pair has just about had it. So I headed over to Lands End to put in an order. I got lucky and found a beautiful white cover up in the clearance tab that I can wear to the White Hot party. Bonus for me. I also doubles checked to make DH has shoes for the river tubing trip. He's not a sandles guy so I hadn't seen them in a while.

I have mentioned that we won’t purchase the wifi package, so I have been looking at where I can check in while we are gone. We have republic wireless phone service so if I can find some wifi, I can check emails and send texts back home. Looks like my easiest access, free wifi is going to be at: GC Margaritaville, Cozumel- Senor Frogs and Hard Rock, and Ocho Rios - Margaritaville. We are leaving a 21 year old at home. I am always hopeful that he will reassure me regularly that everything is fine at home, I am also always disappointed in this wish. He likes make me ask. He is a good kid and everything is always fine, however, it’s a mom’s job to worry right?

I have added the following to my what to do onboard list I found the suggestions during my CC reading but forgot to write who said so I can't do a shoutout.

The escape game- Sign up for under the big top 11;15-2;30 @headliners 4:15-6:45 Box office. I create digital breakouts for my teachers and students and I think I will enjoy this.

When eating at Taste have the crab cake stuffed potato skins and grouper sandwiches- thanks bostongal965.

On my list for next week is to download the iConcierge app - so I can have my scheduled things on my phone. Print directions to the parking place, a walking map of Cozumel, and any other stray paperwork.

Thursday at work I mentioned my countdown to Spring Break and my friend made fun of me for keeping track. I said I'm going on a cruise and am really excited. She said me too! I ask where to, then when leaving, and are you on the Epic? She is! How fun! I hope she is not disappointed when she finds out how unteacher like I can be when on vacay.i am in a somewhat supervisory position and am considered central office personnel. I dress up everyday and work very hard to always be professional in everything I do. On this trip I don't plan to wear anything other than swimsuits and running shorts ( not because I run, because I don't). Remember I have to meet my drink quota daily so I'm not sure how that is going to look. Oh well it is time she find out that I play just as hard as I work.

I've been thinking about what to do Easter Sunday. We always go to the Sonrise service at our church. So I think I have decided to get up just before sunrise and have a moment of prayer and reflection. Go back to bed for a nap, then we can take our time at breakfast, let those in a hurry get on the first tenders, then make our way to GSC peacefully.

PLEASE, for your sanity sake, drive down to PC the FULL day before the cruise!! Leave home on Friday morning (as early as possible) and drive down - find a hotel/motel within your price range as close as to PC as possible (make sure the breakfast is included!!).

We were on a B2B cruise and did not need to attend muster drill on the 2nd leg. I was in an elevator some 30 mins before sailaway, and a family got into the elevator with suitcases ... they looked so flustered but relieved. I asked what happened ... they had driven down - only 5 hours from home and got stuck in massive traffic jam that added 4 hours to their journey! She said "never again! We'll fly next time", I said "drive down the DAY BEFORE", and he said "good idea".

I can’t help with the decision on whether to drive to the port a day early or not but I will give you something to think about. Your first full day will be Great Stirrup Cay and as I’m sure you know, more than a few times the water is too rough to tender so it might become a sea day after all.

I’m frugal too but I think I’d drive to within two hours of Port Canaveral and find a cheap hotel for the night and then finish the drive in the morning.

Regardless I’m sure you’ll have a great time on the Epic. I like your attitude of letting your hair down when on vacation, it’s the only way to cruise. FYI, recently CC member StayCool did a trip report on the Epic and posted a photo of a sign on deck 19 that read “bathing suits required in this area.” So it’s OK to let your husband hang out up there. :D

PLEASE, for your sanity sake, drive down to PC the FULL day before the cruise!! Leave home on Friday morning (as early as possible) and drive down - find a hotel/motel within your price range as close as to PC as possible (make sure the breakfast is included!!).

We were on a B2B cruise and did not need to attend muster drill on the 2nd leg. I was in an elevator some 30 mins before sailaway, and a family got into the elevator with suitcases ... they looked so flustered but relieved. I asked what happened ... they had driven down - only 5 hours from home and got stuck in massive traffic jam that added 4 hours to their journey! She said "never again! We'll fly next time", I said "drive down the DAY BEFORE", and he said "good idea".

Sounds like a very good argument to me. Thanks for the input.

I can’t help with the decision on whether to drive to the port a day early or not but I will give you something to think about. Your first full day will be Great Stirrup Cay and as I’m sure you know, more than a few times the water is too rough to tender so it might become a sea day after all.

I’m frugal too but I think I’d drive to within two hours of Port Canaveral and find a cheap hotel for the night and then finish the drive in the morning.

Regardless I’m sure you’ll have a great time on the Epic. I like your attitude of letting your hair down when on vacation, it’s the only way to cruise. FYI, recently CC member StayCool did a trip report on the Epic and posted a photo of a sign on deck 19 that read “bathing suits required in this area.” So it’s OK to let your husband hang out up there. :D

I saw SayCool's picture of the 19th deck. I think they were on one of the short spring break trips. I wonder if it will stay when the ship returns to 7 day itineraries. Thanks for the drive day advice, we do want to make sure we get there on time. I know I will have a great time, we always do no matter what the circumstances.

643xb5.jpg[/img]

We are 13 days away and I am very excited. This is my current situation so I can't complain but salt air and sea breezes will be wonderful. For those still following along here are the things I am doing at this point to get ready.

We will be driving to Port Canaveral and our original plan along was to leave very early Saturday morning to arrive at the port around 1ish. However, the closer we get, the more I think we should leave Friday afternoon. 10 hours is a long trip and it leaves you exhausted the whole first day. If we had. a sea day first that would be ok, but I don't want to so some thought needs to go into this. I realise this is probably a no brainer for most, but it would be adding a hotel stay to our already expensive trip so we will have to mull it over. That mostly means I have to spend the week reminding him of how much he doesn't enjoy long drives and that we don't want to sleep through the first day. Tha car recently got an oil change and yesterday got new front tires. I also went ahead and cleaned the interior. One less thing to worry about the week of.

This week I have been looking at parking and think I will go with “Lots of Honor” it is a service-disabled veteran-owned business that helps the Homes for Troops program. So I get to feel charitable and save a little money. It will cost around $75 for the week. It would be around $120 to park at the port.

I am getting closer to actually putting things in my suitcase. I got one out and open so I can start moving things there. While I was thinking about packing I decided I better do a swimsuit check. It is a good thing that I did. I like to wear swim shorts when we do excursions- both for comfort and for coverability and my good pair has just about had it. So I headed over to Lands End to put in an order. I got lucky and found a beautiful white cover up in the clearance tab that I can wear to the White Hot party. Bonus for me. I also doubles checked to make DH has shoes for the river tubing trip. He's not a sandles guy so I hadn't seen them in a while.

I have mentioned that we won’t purchase the wifi package, so I have been looking at where I can check in while we are gone. We have republic wireless phone service so if I can find some wifi, I can check emails and send texts back home. Looks like my easiest access, free wifi is going to be at: GC Margaritaville, Cozumel- Senor Frogs and Hard Rock, and Ocho Rios - Margaritaville. We are leaving a 21 year old at home. I am always hopeful that he will reassure me regularly that everything is fine at home, I am also always disappointed in this wish. He likes make me ask. He is a good kid and everything is always fine, however, it’s a mom’s job to worry right?

I have added the following to my what to do onboard list I found the suggestions during my CC reading but forgot to write who said so I can't do a shoutout.

The escape game- Sign up for under the big top 11;15-2;30 @headliners 4:15-6:45 Box office. I create digital breakouts for my teachers and students and I think I will enjoy this.

When eating at Taste have the crab cake stuffed potato skins and grouper sandwiches- thanks bostongal965.

On my list for next week is to download the iConcierge app - so I can have my scheduled things on my phone. Print directions to the parking place, a walking map of Cozumel, and any other stray paperwork.

Thursday at work I mentioned my countdown to Spring Break and my friend made fun of me for keeping track. I said I'm going on a cruise and am really excited. She said me too! I ask where to, then when leaving, and are you on the Epic? She is! How fun! I hope she is not disappointed when she finds out how unteacher like I can be when on vacay.i am in a somewhat supervisory position and am considered central office personnel. I dress up everyday and work very hard to always be professional in everything I do. On this trip I don't plan to wear anything other than swimsuits and running shorts ( not because I run, because I don't). Remember I have to meet my drink quota daily so I'm not sure how that is going to look. Oh well it is time she find out that I play just as hard as I work.

I've been thinking about what to do Easter Sunday. We always go to the Sonrise service at our church. So I think I have decided to get up just before sunrise and have a moment of prayer and reflection. Go back to bed for a nap, then we can take our time at breakfast, let those in a hurry get on the first tenders, then make our way to GSC peacefully.

Check for hotels that have park and stay packages. Sometimes free parking if you stay the night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out the Econo Lodge on Merritt Island. It's inexpensive, quiet, has free parking where they watch your car from the office, and a shuttle to the port. The property is older but clean, has a nice pool, and the service was great too. I stayed in November and was very happy.

Check out the Econo Lodge on Merritt Island. It's inexpensive, quiet, has free parking where they watch your car from the office, and a shuttle to the port. The property is older but clean, has a nice pool, and the service was great too. I stayed in November and was very happy.

I did, they are booked but I think I found something that will work.

:D

I second this. I would at least try to get to Orlando. During Spring Break/Holiday season, I like to call I-75 in Florida the land of the random burning car. I would say about 50% of the time I go south on that road in Florida during the holiday season, I run into some huge delay from a wreck or burning car. Plenty of cheap hotels in Orlando or Ocala (Which seems to be the southern end of random burning car zone).

I second this. I would at least try to get to Orlando. During Spring Break/Holiday season, I like to call I-75 in Florida the land of the random burning car. I would say about 50% of the time I go south on that road in Florida during the holiday season, I run into some huge delay from a wreck or burning car. Plenty of cheap hotels in Orlando or Ocala (Which seems to be the southern end of random burning car zone).
Wow entering the land of the random car burning zone wasn't something I had accounted for. I like to think I am informed but that's not on a one of my maps. I have done some research on park and stays in the area and are pretty sure we will decide to go that route.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app