Help Please! Japan- Fall Foliage or Spring Flowers???

princess09

It may be difficult to predict either. We were too early in Japan for cherry blossoms (though still beautiful but we had snow flakes in one place). I thought we would have full cherry blossoms and they were just starting.

I have tried Canada NE for prime time and it is difficult to predict. I would just go with the schedule that works for you as cherry blossoms and fall foliage can be early or late.

Our son was in Japan for most of April and found a great difference in the timing and quantity of the Sakura blossom.

We also have done the last cruise for the autumnal colour in New England to find there was almost none as autumn was late arriving that year.

"You pays your money and takes your chance"

I was at Hirosaki castle on April 27 and saw full broom of cherry. It was so beautiful. There were some Princess excursion buses from Diamond Princess docked at Aomori that day.

Thanks casofilia and ROSE99 for replying. I know that forecasting blooms and color isn't a sure thing and realize it's only a "guess". Iwas hoping to hear from those that have been to Japan during both seasons. Two good choices and that makes the decision more difficult!

I would go for the spring blossoms. When the cherry blossom season starts, obviously it is in the warmer areas of Japan in the south. Most cruises will call at several ports so it is likely you will 'catch' the full beauty of the blossoms in one or more of those ports. You can check on line for the anticipated dates for each area.

What month did you travel?

October 2009. It wasn't a cruise, but a custom land tour. I am guessing that the Fall colors in Japan depend on weather. We tried to catch Fall Colors last year in Canada/New England. We were too early and the leaves were just starting to change.