My New Orleans Review

Solent Richard

I have recently completed a review of how my wife and I spent our two night port visit in New Orleans.

32686551305_5a760a3b65_z.jpg

I think we covered the most popular sites...

38031273044_1ced905dfc_z.jpg

We certainly covered some ground and made good use of the transport system...

38580527956_04413d6991_z.jpg

NOLA is a great place to visit and with careful planning a lot can be achieved...

32004589183_d56fcda661_z.jpg

Here is the link to the full review which contains over 50 photographs...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/12/29/one-way-to-do-new-orleans-part-1/

A few corrections and points of note. As stated above, it is a streetcar, not a tram. Locals will look at you like you have two heads if you ask for the tram. Secondly, that is not "New Orleans Cathedral" but is named St Louis Cathedral. If I had limited time in New Orleans I would skip the buffet on a boat and go for more authentic food. One of the main reasons to visit New Orleans is the food and there is no way I would do a meal on a buffet. Armstrong Park is lovely but it is not safest spot for tourists, especially as it approaches dusk/dark. If you are going to make your way there then be sure to do so in the earlier part of the day. I would also highly recommend a ride on the streetcar through the Garden District on the St Charles streetcar line. The beautiful architecture is a sight to behold and there are plenty of fantastic local restaurants one could stop at along the way that would get you away from the typical tourist dining spots in the FQ.

Sounds like you had a good time.

• 2 weeks later...
A few corrections and points of note. As stated above, it is a streetcar, not a tram. Locals will look at you like you have two heads if you ask for the tram. Secondly, that is not "New Orleans Cathedral" but is named St Louis Cathedral. If I had limited time in New Orleans I would skip the buffet on a boat and go for more authentic food. One of the main reasons to visit New Orleans is the food and there is no way I would do a meal on a buffet. Armstrong Park is lovely but it is not safest spot for tourists, especially as it approaches dusk/dark. If you are going to make your way there then be sure to do so in the earlier part of the day. I would also highly recommend a ride on the streetcar through the Garden District on the St Charles streetcar line. The beautiful architecture is a sight to behold and there are plenty of fantastic local restaurants one could stop at along the way that would get you away from the typical tourist dining spots in the FQ.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Humblest apologies for the confusion over 'trams' and 'streetcars'. We Brits are often very backward on these matters...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram

Same I guess as the confusion between a 'trunk' and a 'boot'.

Do stay tuned for Part 2 of the review which includes a walk through the Garden District and the Dining experiences of Frenchman Street and Bourbon Street plus a private ride on the City Park Carousel.

• 1 month later...

Subscribed!!, thanks richard, our very good friends are from England and I find my self constantly googling things they say.... And they introduced me to these fiendish little devils known as Jaffa Cakes.........

Thank you for review. I forwarded it to two couples we are traveling with next month to Jazz Fest. Both have never been and this is a good introduction with photos z

lots of visuals on youtube, instagram and Imgur

• 5 months later...

Thank you for posting! It has been helpful in making a list of what we would like to see when we are pre cruise in NO this January! So much to see, so little time! I realize we will have to pick some favorites for this trip and return another time for more! Your pictures and commentary have helped!