How are the Dunns River Falls ? Dangerous ?

robin32470

We are possibly going to be going on a Western Caribbean cruise next April and Ocho Rios is one of the stops. I would love to do the Dunns River Falls tour but my brother who spent a week in Jamaica a few years back said him & his wife did the falls tour and 1/2 of the way up they got oout because it was so dangerous and he is in very good shape. He said I'd never make it and not to waste my money. He said it is so slippery and it is like walking up ice. Is this true ? Would love for any reviews of the Falls that anyone has, danger, fun, how long does it take to get up to top ? Anything you want to share is great.

Robin in Cincinnati, OH

Just make sure you have really good water shoes. My DD and I did them last year with other couple..we did need him a few times to give us a hand up...but it was a don't miss climb it was so much fun. We got great pictures and laughed thur the whole climb..So much fun:)

We went 7 years ago, my youngest was 15 years old, and we all LOVED it, our favorite excursion. They will group you with a bunch of people and several guides and you will all hold hands going up the falls, at a very slow pace waiting for everyone. Yes, it is slippery , make sure you wear water shoes!!!!!

It is a blast!!!!

We did it a few years back and while there are a few spots that are a little slippery, we didn't feel it was unsafe. Everyone forms a human chain by holding hands so that helps to keep your balance. There is usually an extra guide that videos the climb. If you want to buy the video, try to be closer to the front of the group as you will have more face time there. Have a great time on your cruise.

Doing the Falls is one of my favorite cruise memories-I am 52 and moderately fit it is scary and slippery but so much fun-it is beautiful.I can't remember how long it took maybe 1/2 hour. The guides take you up in a zig zag pattern and talk the whole time I would do it again!

We have done over 50 cruises and it is, by far, our favorite excursion. We were in our 50's when we did it, in good shape but not great and we had no problem. Be sure you have water shoes, not tennis shoes, and while it is very slippery, the guide will lead you to best way to the top. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE. Also, you can get great pictures you will cherish forever.

We climbed the river a few years back. Yes, it was like ice (IMO) but it did not seem dangerous. Like the other posters said, wear water shoes. We did buy the video after but it was poor quality and a waste of money!! I say bring a water camera and take lots of pics!

I've done the falls a number of times and never felt unsafe.

I'm far from being a mountain goat and had no real problems. Climbers are encouraged hands to assist each other up the falls and the guides are always there at the tricky bits.

:)

Go, you'll love it.

:)

I'm not sure if it would work from your port we were at Montego Bay if I remember correctly. Try googling YS Falls and Carolyn Barrett Adventures. That is who we went with and found her on CC. The falls are beautiful and very uncrowded, no danger of falling or scraped knees. You need to be alittle adventures for her type of excurison. My husband and I loved it. We did this about 6 yrs ago. We were in our 50's when we did this, and would do it again(now in early 60's).

AMAZING

everyone should do the falls. We did it when we stayed for a week in Jamaica. We did it on our own but it was a day when carnival had a cruise ship in. There were people of all ages doing it and loving it. They use the "human Chain" to help everyone up. Make sure you have good water shoes. Mine are the type that look like tennis shoes. You can rent them there for about $10.

Go and have a blast

Gon to youtube.com and type in Dunns river falls. There are lots of videos there and you can see them. My friends did the falls last year and she said it was awesome. Yes it was slippery but you wear water shoes and go for it. She said everyone helps everyone out....lol

I went last October. We went with a family group. About eight of us between the ages of 11 and 46. I was the 46 year old. Anyway we asked for a private guide. I am not a touchy feely kind of person and did not want to hold hands all the way up. He helped us up when we needed it. I was a little nervous, since I am the only one working in my family. I kept thinking "If I get hurt we are going to be in troube" But I made it with only a bruised knee. It was great.

You do not have to climb all the way up the falls if you do not want to. My 13 yr daughter and I are going back next November. I think we are just going to play around in some of the pools this time. There are seating areas at several locations up the falls and steps that lead to the little pools that are big enoough to splash around in.

It is beautiful there and I can't wait to go back.

Great responses thanks a lot !! One great thing learned, BUY GREAT WATER SHOES...LOL I will defintitely book this excursion when the time arrives.

Walmart has water shoes out now. My husband got new ones last week only $6.

• 7 years later...

The experience depends on your guide and the people in your group. I was holding hands with a child (not mine) in front and my husband behind me. About halfway up, my foot slipped, the child couldn't help me and I stepped down in a hole hip deep. It hyperextended my knee and I could barely climb out and get up the path to board our bus back to the resort. I was unable to do anything the rest of the vacation except hobble to the beach or pool and float to keep the weight off that leg. It took months of physical therapy to get it working pain free. We were at the Beaches resort and their medical care was a stretch wrap for my knee. Do at your own risk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did it when I was 60 and had some reservations, but I did it anyway. Yes, you could get hurt. Nobody in our group fell while climbing but at the end when we quit holding hands two fell. Like Pinkgrandma said, do it at your own risk and I will add, take out trip insurance.