Arcadia problems


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:14 AM.
#1
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
I understand that the Arcadia has suffered awful problems during her current Caribbean cruise, so much so that passengers have been given a rebate of £2000. Sorry not able to give you anymore detail but can only say this was from a reliable source.
Bal
#2
West Yorkshire UK
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
can you give us any more info? They've only just set off for Caribbean, seams very soon to be offered compensation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue




#3
Dorset, UK
8,846 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Balaena
I understand that the Arcadia has suffered awful problems during her current Caribbean cruise, so much so that passengers have been given a rebate of £2000. Sorry not able to give you anymore detail but can only say this was from a reliable source. Bal
Yes there were problems - missed ports due to weather/sea conditions (Force 8/9/10 with heavy seas for almost all the sea days) and an Azipod which required repair so that we had an unplanned overnight and extra day in Halifax.

We missed Newport, Bar Harbor, Sydney and instead of two full days in Quebec we arrived 9pm day 1 then had the whole of the next day there.

I'm not sure where the figure of £2000 came from - it may have amounted to that for some passengers depending on what the cruise cost them but the compensation was in fact 20% of the price you paid as a future cruise credit.

We were satisfied with that but can understand someone not wishing to go on another cruise, or travel again with P&O may not feel the same.

In addition everyone had £200 obc added to their accounts. With so many cancelled ports (and excursion refunds) the shops had a field day!!!
#4
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by fue-fue
can you give us any more info? They've only just set off for Caribbean, seams very soon to be offered compensation.
Sorry, it was the USA and Canada cruise which has just returned.
#5
West Yorkshire UK
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Yes there were problems - missed ports due to weather/sea conditions (Force 8/9/10 with heavy seas for almost all the sea days) and an Azipod which required repair so that we had an unplanned overnight and extra day in Halifax.

We missed Newport, Bar Harbor, Sydney and instead of two full days in Quebec we arrived 9pm day 1 then had the whole of the next day there.

I'm not sure where the figure of £2000 came from - it may have amounted to that for some passengers depending on what the cruise cost them but the compensation was in fact 20% of the price you paid as a future cruise credit.

We were satisfied with that but can understand someone not wishing to go on another cruise, or travel again with P&O may not feel the same.

In addition everyone had £200 obc added to their accounts. With so many cancelled ports (and excursion refunds) the shops had a field day!!!
We were on this cruise too, & wouldn't call them terrible problems.
But the original poster said on her current Caribbean cruise not on her previous cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue




#6
Dorset, UK
8,846 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by fue-fue
We were on this cruise too, & wouldn't call them terrible problems.
But the original poster said on her current Caribbean cruise not on her previous cruise.
You quote me but I didn't say 'terrible' problems, I merely gave information which the OP was seeking. Supposing the ship reference was correct, I assumed the 'Carribean' was a slip - she's on her way there now.
#7
West Yorkshire UK
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Balaena we had a few hiccups but not awful problems. Majority of us didn't get £2000 refund! But were happy with offer we got which I think Kruzseeka has explained.

Good luck & fingers crossed for Arcadia's current Caribbean cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue




#8
north east
2,354 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Yes there were problems - missed ports due to weather/sea conditions (Force 8/9/10 with heavy seas for almost all the sea days) and an Azipod which required repair so that we had an unplanned overnight and extra day in Halifax.

We missed Newport, Bar Harbor, Sydney and instead of two full days in Quebec we arrived 9pm day 1 then had the whole of the next day there.

I'm not sure where the figure of £2000 came from - it may have amounted to that for some passengers depending on what the cruise cost them but the compensation was in fact 20% of the price you paid as a future cruise credit.

We were satisfied with that but can understand someone not wishing to go on another cruise, or travel again with P&O may not feel the same.

In addition everyone had £200 obc added to their accounts. With so many cancelled ports (and excursion refunds) the shops had a field day!!!
I hope you were OK Kruzseeka and your medication worked as I know you suffer with sea sickness as bad as me.
#9
Dorset, UK
8,846 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by happy v
I hope you were OK Kruzseeka and your medication worked as I know you suffer with sea sickness as bad as me.
Thank you for asking happy v. Yes I do suffer and took Stugeron all the way on the outbound TA and was OK. Rough seas, 'Confused' swell (didn't know which way it was coming) and gale force winds were the norm on the navigation channel. But much to my surprise after forgetting to take any pills one day, I was fine so thought I'd try without them - all the way back!!! It's an ill wind........ think it's cured me - I hope so!

I was surprised that mealtimes were well attended. I've been on cruises when there's been a very poor turn out for dinner but it didn't seem to be the case on this cruise. Don't know if it was conditioning or the way the ship coped - who knows? But as you can imagine a source of much relief to me.
#10
1,021 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Thank you for asking happy v. Yes I do suffer and took Stugeron all the way on the outbound TA and was OK. Rough seas, 'Confused' swell (didn't know which way it was coming) and gale force winds were the norm on the navigation channel. But much to my surprise after forgetting to take any pills one day, I was fine so thought I'd try without them - all the way back!!! It's an ill wind........ think it's cured me - I hope so!

I was surprised that mealtimes were well attended. I've been on cruises when there's been a very poor turn out for dinner but it didn't seem to be the case on this cruise. Don't know if it was conditioning or the way the ship coped - who knows? But as you can imagine a source of much relief to me.
So, no 'awful' problems on a cruise that wasn't to the 'Caribbean '. The problems on the Canadian cruise are well documented, but the op post is just so far from actuality as to be cringe worthy.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
#11
Dorset, UK
8,846 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by wowzz
So, no 'awful' problems on a cruise that wasn't to the 'Caribbean '. The problems on the Canadian cruise are well documented, but the op post is just so far from actuality as to be cringe worthy.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
Has there been a thread on here about it? I can't find any - would be pleased if you could post the link if so. Thanks.
#12
1,021 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Not on here, but lots of posts on the Arcadia page of a well known social networking site that you cannot mention on here. Cruise Critic is not always the best source of information.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
#13
Dorset, UK
8,846 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by wowzz
Not on here, but lots of posts on the Arcadia page of a well known social networking site that you cannot mention on here. Cruise Critic is not always the best source of information.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
OK thanks - don't read that one. Was quite surprised there was nothing on these threads but as you say perhaps not the best source of info here.
#14
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by wowzz
So, no 'awful' problems on a cruise that wasn't to the 'Caribbean '. The problems on the Canadian cruise are well documented, but the op post is just so far from actuality as to be cringe worthy.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
What a nice person you are .. ummmmmm. For the record and as I noted in my original post, I passed on a comment from a friend who had receive £2000 back for their awful cruise, their words not mine as I wasn't on the cruise. Yes, I got the destination wrong but as you will see in this thread, I corrected it on the 4th post. What a shame that you that you were so embarrassed with my slight error. I do hope you get over it and not cringing anymore.
Bal
#15
United Kingdom
231 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Yes there were problems - missed ports due to weather/sea conditions (Force 8/9/10 with heavy seas for almost all the sea days) and an Azipod which required repair so that we had an unplanned overnight and extra day in Halifax.

We missed Newport, Bar Harbor, Sydney and instead of two full days in Quebec we arrived 9pm day 1 then had the whole of the next day there.

I'm not sure where the figure of £2000 came from - it may have amounted to that for some passengers depending on what the cruise cost them but the compensation was in fact 20% of the price you paid as a future cruise credit.

We were satisfied with that but can understand someone not wishing to go on another cruise, or travel again with P&O may not feel the same.

In addition everyone had £200 obc added to their accounts. With so many cancelled ports (and excursion refunds) the shops had a field day!!!
And there were quite a lot of free drinks to be had too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JH






#17
north east
2,354 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Thank you for asking happy v. Yes I do suffer and took Stugeron all the way on the outbound TA and was OK. Rough seas, 'Confused' swell (didn't know which way it was coming) and gale force winds were the norm on the navigation channel. But much to my surprise after forgetting to take any pills one day, I was fine so thought I'd try without them - all the way back!!! It's an ill wind........ think it's cured me - I hope so!

I was surprised that mealtimes were well attended. I've been on cruises when there's been a very poor turn out for dinner but it didn't seem to be the case on this cruise. Don't know if it was conditioning or the way the ship coped - who knows? But as you can imagine a source of much relief to me.
Good to hear it. I think it may be an age thing as I am a lot better than I used to be.
I don't follow the other sites either so don't understand the 'odd' comment. Just pleased everyone is OK and you now have some money off your next cruise. There are a lot worse things in the world!
#18
Herefordshire
54 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Balaena
What a nice person you are .. ummmmmm. For the record and as I noted in my original post, I passed on a comment from a friend who had receive £2000 back for their awful cruise, their words not mine as I wasn't on the cruise. Yes, I got the destination wrong but as you will see in this thread, I corrected it on the 4th post. What a shame that you that you were so embarrassed with my slight error. I do hope you get over it and not cringing anymore.
Bal
I don't think you need to justify a slight error. Let's face it we all make mistakes although I do believe that some posters think they are perfect. I have only recently joined this site and thought I would get some constructive and useful information from people such as yourself but it seems that any mistake or difference of opinion is greeted with some form of sarcasm. I appreciated your post as I am going on Arcadia in January so any information about the ship, good or bad is very useful. Thank you
#19
Dorset, england
611 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Thank you for asking happy v. Yes I do suffer and took Stugeron all the way on the outbound TA and was OK. Rough seas, 'Confused' swell (didn't know which way it was coming) and gale force winds were the norm on the navigation channel. But much to my surprise after forgetting to take any pills one day, I was fine so thought I'd try without them - all the way back!!! It's an ill wind........ think it's cured me - I hope so!

I was surprised that mealtimes were well attended. I've been on cruises when there's been a very poor turn out for dinner but it didn't seem to be the case on this cruise. Don't know if it was conditioning or the way the ship coped - who knows? But as you can imagine a source of much relief to me.

We are booked on Arcadia to Canada in 2019. I was very pleased to see your comments as it means there might be hope for me! I will still be taking my trusty anti-sickness patches though, the result of being caught out without them doesn't bear thinking about

I wish you many years of sickness-free cruising
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#20
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by sparky43
I don't think you need to justify a slight error. Let's face it we all make mistakes although I do believe that some posters think they are perfect. I have only recently joined this site and thought I would get some constructive and useful information from people such as yourself but it seems that any mistake or difference of opinion is greeted with some form of sarcasm. I appreciated your post as I am going on Arcadia in January so any information about the ship, good or bad is very useful. Thank you
Cheers
Bal