Seabourn for air arrangements?/Concierge?

AllisonJames

Hi, we booked directly with Seabourn rather than through a travel agent (hope I don't regret that). Sailing out of St. Thomas next April. Seabourn didn't have any air information available when we booked. About when does this become available and have you found that their rates are usually less expensive than booking yourself? And do you get a choice of flights? Also, how does one reach out to the concierge to make tee times in advance of the cruise? It's a must that my husband get on certain courses -- that's how I talked him into this cruise. Thanks experts!

My wife & I do not use any cruise line air. That is how they "get well" for offering low cruise fares. If you plan to do a lot of international cruising, please consider getting an American Express Platinum card ($395/year). For international destinations, one gets "2 for 1" on airlines that they use. We have saved $12K, including our upcoming trip. As for hotels, there are many web sites that offer much better deals than the cruise lines anywhere in the world. Again, this is how they "get well" . Check out any cruiseline brochure and then compare hotel prices that you can get on the web.Post if you would like more info.

NOTE: I do not work for AmEx...rather a retired Aerospace Engineer of 10 years who has more than recouped my $395/year.!

Regards, Leonid

we haven't found the AmEx Platinum Card to be at all beneficial for flights - their 2 for 1 airfare costs about twice as much (or more!) as booking the same seats online ourselves, so that was a big disapointment for us. for example, they quoted us a fare of $11,000 for business class on Virgin Atlantic from San Francisco to London. we were able to get these same seats on our own, for under $4,000 each. there were a few restrictions on the tickets we purchased, for example, a $200 penalty if we change the flight dates, but nothing major. we have, however, found great benefits from AmEx's Platinum Concierge Service, booking advance reservations for hotels, limos, dinner reservations, theatre tickets, etc. this has been Great. they could probably book the tee times for you, too.

we also booked our cruise directly with Seabourn, and they have been very helpful with all and any questions we have had. call them at their 800 number to discuss tee time reservations, and try AmEx Platinum if Seabourn can't accomodate you far enough in advance.

I agree with maunakealady ... the Amex air fares 2-for-1 are way out of line. You can do much better booking on your own. But Leonid failed to mention the other "perks" that come with the Amex Platinum card ... $300 shipboard credit on Seabourn ... other upgrades and credits on various other cruise lines that participate in the Amex program ... and you don't have to book with Amex ... just use your own TA and have them contact Amex for a tracking number. The cruise perks alone have more than offset the $395 annual fee.

Hi, we booked directly with Seabourn rather than through a travel agent (hope I don't regret that). Sailing out of St. Thomas next April. Seabourn didn't have any air information available when we booked. About when does this become available and have you found that their rates are usually less expensive than booking yourself? And do you get a choice of flights? Also, how does one reach out to the concierge to make tee times in advance of the cruise? It's a must that my husband get on certain courses -- that's how I talked him into this cruise. Thanks experts!

St Thomas is not real easy to to to of from--we have had the best luck with Delta Airlines thru Atlanta--booked direct with Delta--prices were not bad--I would not wait to long to get tickets--you have an Easter date in April, and the flights fill up fast. What cruise did you book? Several of us have booked St Thomas to Fort Lauderdale departing STT April 16th.

Couple of things to consider.

Air booked though Seabourn includes transfers, which can get costly. They buy their air at contract rates a year in advance and are unable to match any promotional offers from the airline. There are quite often

(understatement!) promotional fares with restrictions that leave them in the dust. Add in the number of Seabourn guests who are loyalty club members for various airlines and it would be a very poor way for the company to try to "get well!" Fact is, it's reportedly a small percentage of Seabourn sailors who buy it that way, those who prefer the convenience.

Hotels, by the way, also include transfers and taxes including VAT (don't forget that!) breakfast and Hospitality desk service, so don't compare strictly to rack rates...that stuff adds up!

bgood

Maunakealady & Bigmjh: Interesting that you got much different rates from PTS vs. the airlines directly than I got. Before I booked with PTS for a JFK to London flight next month, I checked the Virgin Atlantic web site, and guess what! The quote was double what I got from PTS. As I stated in my previous post, each time we have used PTS we have saved money.

I can't imagine flying from SFO to London for $4k (each?) in business class. That was a bit more than the VA price out of JFK on their web site. PTS gives you " upper class", which is probably what you got. It also includes transportation from Heathrow to any hotel in London. To each his/her own!

Leonid

i too have inquired with PTS several times about the 2 for 1 fares and each time i was quoted a much higher fare for the one ticket than i could have gotten for two elsewhere. this includes upper class on virgin from LA to london which i am flying this coming week. i got a much better rate buying two tickets separately then the 2 for 1 thru PTS. i will still continute to inquire on all future trips, of course, but so far its been a big bust.

however i do love all the other benefits of the platinum card so to me its still worth it.

WRIPRO: Interesting that you did so much better than going through PTS. You must have used a deep discount broker or possibly a frequent flyer broker.

FYI: For our flight next month, JFK to Heathrow, two upper class fares on VA are $8443 (check their website). I paid less than half through PTS.

Leonid

When I started thinking of my brother's and my flight to Milan I called the American Express Platinum Dept. to inquire as to 1st class R/T tickets. I almost choked when she quoted me the price! I then went on Continental's web site and found unbelievable fares.....I promptly called. Yes, it was indeed true!

Houston/Milan Roundtrip, $2,000 per person! I think coach was a couple of hundred less.....I don't think I'll be calling AmEX Plat.for flight rates again.

Happy Sailing!

Martita

aloha Leonid,

actually, the round trip air tickets we purchased were UNDER $4k each. it came to $7,800 for 2 upper class tickets on Virgin Atlantic, SFO to LHR. this was not through a deep discount broker, or through a frequent flyer program - this was on Virgin Atlantic's own website. there is a small penalty for changing dates of flights (about $200), and we don't get the limo service. but we booked limo service through AmEx Platinum from Heathrow to London - and we still came out many thousands of dollars ahead.

I also spent quite some time comparing air fares, both business and first class, on every airline carrier AmEx Platinum partners with. I couldn't find even 1 fare , not one, that would be less expensive using AmEx Platinum 2 for 1 program than booking the same, exact seats through the airline's own website...:confused:

Maunakealady: Again, glad you somehow got such cheap fares. If you check the VA website for SFO to Heathrow fares for Upper Class, you'll see that they are nowhere near what you got...some kind of special deal? Please tell me how you got those wonderful fares! Then again, it might have been the time of the year that you traveled. Winter in London! It certainly isn't this time of year.

Leonid

Leonid, egads, you're right. they've raised their fares. I just went to VA's website and kept plugging in dates, and their prices are consistently almost $2K higher than what we got for upper class - even for the same dates/flights as what we purchased. wow, am I glad we booked our air a month ago.. I guess we were just lucky, or maybe VA's fares go up with less of an advanced purchase. the flights we booked are in August.

part 2; I tried Virgin Atlantic's website again. when I tried booking flights over a month in advance I got great upper class fares again - a little higher than what we purchased, but still very reasonable: $4230 round trip San Francsico to London. the trick is to select the "upper class, lower" fare each way, and select the option that you are flexible on dates. so the good fares are still available. :)

Leonid, Maunakealady is correct. We are travelling SF to London, Upper Class, end of Sept, booked about a month ago, for $3800 each. This is not a special deal, consolidator, etc. It is a published Virgin Atlantic fare. There is no trick to it, but you must do a bit of work.

I find the Amex 2for1 fare to be a total ripoff -- you can always do better if you are willing to be a bit creative.

If I could chip in here, we are travelling in the opposite direction LHR to SFO, in October Virgin Upper Class for £2199p.p. including 3 nights at the Westin St Francis, which I think compares very well with all your good deals,if my coverstion from dollars to pounds is correct!

I agree with regard to Am Ex 2-for-1 airfares - they are a complete ripoff. We can never believe the prices you have to pay for airfares in the States - we seem to get much better deals in the UK. We would concur with Prunella and others about the Virgin Upper Class fare - we have paid about the same. The thing that really annoys us in the UK is that even with a black Centurion card (not quite such a big deal in the UK) we get no benefits whatsoever (like on board ship credits - all we get is free travel insurance and we have to pay £650 annually for the privilege of having the card). I think we might get something if we booked a cruise through Am Ex but their prices are prohibitive and we have never found a T/A who has the same kind of tie-up with Am Ex that you seem to have in the States.:o

I agree with regard to Am Ex 2-for-1 airfares - they are a complete ripoff. We can never believe the prices you have to pay for airfares in the States - we seem to get much better deals in the UK. We would concur with Prunella and others about the Virgin Upper Class fare - we have paid about the same. The thing that really annoys us in the UK is that even with a black Centurion card (not quite such a big deal in the UK) we get no benefits whatsoever (like on board ship credits - all we get is free travel insurance and we have to pay £650 annually for the privilege of having the card). I think we might get something if we booked a cruise through Am Ex but their prices are prohibitive and we have never found a T/A who has the same kind of tie-up with Am Ex that you seem to have in the States.:o

Do you have access to the American Express Platinum Travel Service? If there are good deals on the AE 2 for 1 deals they have them. However, the last time we tried for a 2 for 1 the AE Platinum Air "Expert" got us a great deal to Istanbul return Athens on Air France--not 2 for 1. From Tucson Arizona it was about $3000 round trip First Class in U.S. Business Class over water!

When you consider it costs us around £180 return taxi fare from Somerset to LHR it seems very expensive, Virgin have a limo service included if your travel Upper Class with some fares, but unfortunately not for our type of ticket, it might be worth a try for you though.

When you consider it costs us around £180 return taxi fare from Somerset to LHR it seems very expensive, Virgin have a limo service included if your travel Upper Class with some fares, but unfortunately not for our type of ticket, it might be worth a try for you though.

Hi Prunella,I have noticed that we share the same Birthday Date,I shall be on the Silver Shadow on the 7th August,I'll raise my glass to you

Regards

John

Archived