Tipping - cash vs. onboard account

Mistizoom

But why are you going over and above 20% is my first question.
Because I want to show my appreciation of good service. As stated, I pay the DSC and mandatory gratuities on other services to ensure the crew's expected compensation, but since those are built they aren't anything over and above, which is where additional tips come in.

I know a lot of people, including me, tip staff onboard even though we have paid the DSC and the extra 20% for beverage or specialty dining already built in. I am wondering if it makes any difference to the staff if I tip them in cash vs. if I add it to my onboard account. So for example, I buy a drink (I don't have UBP) and I put $1 extra on the bill I sign vs. give them $1 in cash, same with specialty dining, etc. Or when I tip my cabin steward at the end of the trip - I have always given cash before but this upcoming trip I have a lot of OBC so if I have extra at the end I might try to use some for a tip for my cabin steward instead of cash. But if this is problematic for the staff in some way, I would be happy to tip in cash too. Anyone have insight into this? I don't think I've seen it discussed in the usual tipping threads.

It doesn't matter how you do it. It is handled the same way from the crew perspective.

I, too, have been using the voucher system for tipping. Didn't realize that it wasn't given to them until later. However, I have always written a thank you note and provided a copy of the slip in with it so they know to be looking for the credit on their account. Now I may have to rethink this process.....