Safety in Beize

haedansmom

A friend just returned from Belize for the fourth time. She said they had armed guards stationed just outside the cruise port, locals don't want the cruise ships there. She said they felt unsafe at times outside the cruise centre.

I am travelling this time with my two daughters. Should I even leave the boat?

I did not feel very safe right outside the cruise port.

I would book an excursion or stay on the ship.

Last time we visited there we just made it a sea day on board the ship.

Keith

Thank you very much for your input. It is appreciated.

We visited Belize a couple of years ago now but not on a cruise ship. We didn’t stay in Belize city at all -nothing interesting and didn’t look particularly safe. Having said that if you can find an activity you will be surprised how wonderful other areas of the country are. The outer reefs have some of the best snorkeling we have ever experienced ( we jumped off a boat and almost landed on top of a manatee!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were several officers around that I assumed were port security, especially out around the buses. As for the locals most, if not all, of the locals we saw just ignored the tour bus. And since tourism is the second leading industry in the country I can't really see them not wanting the cruise ships coming in but I can't speak for them. Our tour guide kept trying to get our group to move to Belize.

I think you would be fine walking around the shops or taking a ship excursion, but I sure wouldn't go walking around Belize City on my own.

There were several officers around that I assumed were port security, especially out around the buses. As for the locals most, if not all, of the locals we saw just ignored the tour bus. And since tourism is the second leading industry in the country I can't really see them not wanting the cruise ships coming in but I can't speak for them. Our tour guide kept trying to get our group to move to Belize.

I think you would be fine walking around the shops or taking a ship excursion, but I sure wouldn't go walking around Belize City on my own.

Belize City has a great little Museum and a nice Cathedral

A friend just returned from Belize for the fourth time. She said they had armed guards stationed just outside the cruise port, locals don't want the cruise ships there. She said they felt unsafe at times outside the cruise centre.

I am travelling this time with my two daughters. Should I even leave the boat?

I can fully understand why you are concerned with safety in Belize. There has always been so much talk about it even from cruise staff.

HOWEVER, I can tell you we have been to Belize at least 5 times and never felt unsafe there.

The first time we went was about 10 years ago. There was not much at the port except for a restaurant and about 5 shops. It has changed so so much over the years.....more so than any other port that I am sure they are very cruise customer focused and want the tourism. At this point, we had not heard about safety concerns in Belize. My husband and I set out on foot to look for a church, lighthouse and swing bridge. Yes, we were asked many times if we wanted a taxi or excursions. Each time we said no, they would thank us and told to have a nice day. For me, the people of Belize are the politest of all in the Caribbean. After we left the cruise area, we were able to walk freely, no one bothered us and we went in and out of local stores freely.

After that, I did read about safety concerns but did not understand why.

The 2nd time we went, my husband, his brother and wife took a boat over to sn island for some beachtime. Since I am not a beach person, I decided to stay by the port. I ventured out on my own and yes, was approached about taxis and tours but every time I said no thanks, was told to have a nice day. Back then , the souvenir stalls were outside of the port area and I walked around, browsing and shopping with no pressure from anyone to buy.

The 3rd visit with other family members was the same, only more souvenir stands.

By our 4th visit, the port was built up so much with stores that it was not necessary to go out of the port if all you wanted to do was browse and shop or just eat or drink. We had seen a huge BELIZE sign from the ship. For this you had to go out of the port and everyone was very helpful in telling us which direction to go. The taxi drivers and tour operators are all outside of the port building so unless you go out, there will be no one to “bug” you.

This past January, we were intially not going to tender over as it is a long tender ride but we had friends on the cruise with us who had never been to Belize so we went with them.

We have never felt unsafe in Belize and do not find the tour operators or merchants any more aggressive than in any other Caribbean or Mexican port.

If you do not want to go on any excursions, I am sure you and your daughters would enjoy browsing and shopping in the port area.

Yes, it’s as safe as you are cautious. Use common sense and don’t walk aimlessly without a plan. I Took private excursion with dd last year and never felt unsafe. Been many times with dh and kids on diff types of tours and always feel safe.

Book a tour with a reputable company or use the cruise excursion. Don’t let your fear keep you on the boat, However choosing to do nothing because you want to relax is great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Belize is mixed on cruises. Some do see the money they bring in but some want to keep Belize wild and natural. Most of Belize is in natural parks. The locals tend to see cruisers as fearful tourists and obviously find that disconcerting

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to buy a hat - so I set off for Belize City after our excursion returned us to the Ship. I took the Tender into the port and exited the gates into Belize City. It is basically what you would expect from a 3rd World Country - the City was not pretty - and the shops were more for the locals than tourists. I ended up being propositioned, hustled, and eventually assisted by a local who became my uninvited tour guide. I won't lie - I felt very uncomfortable and basically got hustled. I ended up with a $45 dollar hat that was possibly the cheapest hat i've ever bought. Luckily I made it back to the gates of the port and the armed guards. You may call me paranoid - but I would never take my family back to Belize City. Now the excursion and off shore activities are great - and Im sure outside of Belize City you may feel alot safer. This is my honest review ....hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited last year with our 8 year old son and tween niece and nephew. We felt perfectly safe. We did go on an excursion to Caye Caulker (snorkel/swim with nurse sharks) and absolutely loved it. Belize has the most beautiful blue water. Amazing coral reefs! Would not hesitate to return.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Belize 3/22 with Rhapsody of the Seas. We were a party of 4 (2 married couples) and went ashore. While I didn't feel uncomfortable there, I did see security at the port which I totally expected and actually find some comfort with them being there. The locals were friendly and of course, all tour operators try to get you to sign up with them. We did take a private 2 hour van tour and our driver was courteous and helpful but I did not think there was much to see. He pointed out several times, that tourism is very important to his country and appreciated the tourists. As we returned to the ship, we went through a part of the city that I would not have wanted to walk alone but I'm not sure why you would want to be there anyway. Having said that, I felt that the port area was safe. If I returned, I would go to the other end of the country which I hear is quite beautiful but what I saw was not.

So, if I was travelling with children, I would book an excursion with the ship and enjoy the country that way.

Edited by beabunny

I was in Belize 3/22 with Rhapsody of the Seas. We were a party of 4 (2 married couples) and went ashore. While I didn't feel uncomfortable there, I did see security at the port which I totally expected and actually find some comfort with them being there. The locals were friendly and of course, all tour operators try to get you to sign up with them. We did take a private 2 hour van tour and our driver was courteous and helpful but I did not think there was much to see. He pointed out several times, that tourism is very important to his country and appreciated the tourists. As we returned to the ship, we went through a part of the city that I would not have wanted to walk alone but I'm not sure why you would want to be there anyway. Having said that, I felt that the port area was safe. If I returned, I would go to the other end of the country which I hear is quite beautiful but what I saw was not.

So, if I was travelling with children, I would book an excursion with the ship and enjoy the country that way.

You're 45 minutes from Altun Ha Maya ruins

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!! Thanks for very undiplomatically answering my question and making a mom travelling with two kids feel totally stupid.

Feel free to never comment on my posts ever again. Thanks

I think your concern is warranted. We are a group of 4, 2 adult couples. I would not bring children with me on this island. Just my opinion. More than that, I am sorry you were treated so rudely on this board. There was no excuse for that.

About a million tourists go to Belize every year and there are something like 30,000 expats living in the country so the place is perfectly safe.

By the way Belize is not an island it's actually on the mainland

• 2 weeks later...
About a million tourists go to Belize every year and there are something like 30,000 expats living in the country so the place is perfectly safe.

By the way Belize is not an island it's actually on the mainland

Just because there are expats means it's safe. That's some strange logic.

We did a ship’s excursion that was basically a “see the city” tour...we saw the Belize sign, the beautiful cathedral, governor’s mansion, visited a small shop that offered a tiny sip of rum punch and sold rum...all in all it was a good couple of hours and we did feel safe. As there isn’t a lot of shopping or restaurants outside of the port, there might not be a reason to venture out. Only you would know what you’d be comfortable with!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums