Kid's menu from the specialty restaurants on the Breakaway

Mhl76

Don't have a recent copy, but from memory I recall at least hot dogs, hamburgers, spaghetti, and cheese pizza. Sides of veggies and fruit was also on the menu, and dessert always includes cake with ice cream. Plus fries and chips.

My son loves grilled cheese and they made him a sandwich at least four or five times. I've seen families order anything though - peanut butter or nutella sandwiches were a pretty common request.

Amy

• 1 month later...

As the risk of saying something you already know, they are very willing to adapt the menu for you. For example: 2 hot dogs with a side of Mac n cheese. Or one hot dog, one burger, and fries. Like AmyGutman said- order anything. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On NCL ships is there a kid's price for the fixed price meals like Teppanyaki? What I recall from the Jewel is at Moderno the kids would have to play the full adult price if they wanted any food from the actual restaurant, otherwise they were limited to the generic (unhealthy and boring) kids menu posted above. We didn't do Teppanyaki on that ship, but I can't imagine the kids don't get fed what they watch prepared at the table. But is it at the full ~$25 adult price?

Not having any variety in kid options was disappointing to us last time. We didn't mind paying for them at the specialities, but $25+ for a 4 year old is ridiculous. Our kids like variety in food and would easily have eaten a small portion of Brazilian food.

KatieMcG - my kids mainly drink milk too and I don't recall ever paying for it at meals.

On NCL ships is there a kid's price for the fixed price meals like Teppanyaki?
No, same price for everyone.

We didn't do Teppanyaki on that ship, but I can't imagine the kids don't get fed what they watch prepared at the table. But is it at the full ~$25 adult price?

There is so much that many adults share with the child. It isn't really a problem.

Not having any variety in kid options was disappointing to us last time. We didn't mind paying for them at the specialities, but $25+ for a 4 year old is ridiculous. Our kids like variety in food and would easily have eaten a small portion of Brazilian food.

Letting a 4 year-old sample off of your plate isn't a problem. It's the "feed 2 adults for the price of 1..." that they don't want.

No, same price for everyone.

There is so much that many adults share with the child. It isn't really a problem.

Letting a 4 year-old sample off of your plate isn't a problem. It's the "feed 2 adults for the price of 1..." that they don't want.

It was at least an inconvenience at Modeno. The kids couldn't go to the salad bar or pick out their own meats from the servers. They needed more than sampling, they wanted a small portion.

My kids are 6 and 8 for the next trip and eat a full teppanyaki kids portion when we go out, and they don't always order the same as we do. I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue and I'm not going to have to pay adult prices for them.

Frankly I think its silly NCL doesn't offer any variety to kids. It would take zero extra effort and make a little more $$. Bringing chicken nuggets over from another restaurant is much more effort for them.

It was at least an inconvenience at Modeno. The kids couldn't go to the salad bar or pick out their own meats from the servers. They needed more than sampling, they wanted a small portion.

My kids are 6 and 8 for the next trip and eat a full teppanyaki kids portion when we go out, and they don't always order the same as we do. I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue and I'm not going to have to pay adult prices for them.

Frankly I think its silly NCL doesn't offer any variety to kids. It would take zero extra effort and make a little more $$. Bringing chicken nuggets over from another restaurant is much more effort for them.

Up until a few years ago, kids 12 and under were half price, but, they received adult sized portions. At our local hibachi, kids are half price, adult sized portions. It would be nice to be able to get smaller portions for kids, not sure how it would work in moderno.

Consider getting a 3SDP for each of them. It works out to about $23 per meal which is less than full Teppanyaki price ($35.34).

Up until a few years ago, kids 12 and under were half price, but, they received adult sized portions. At our local hibachi, kids are half price, adult sized portions. It would be nice to be able to get smaller portions for kids, not sure how it would work in moderno.

Yeah, I don't care as much about portion size, just half price seems reasonable. I was surprised this wasn't an option on our first NCL cruise. Our local Brazilian place has half price for kids just like you described.

Consider getting a 3SDP for each of them. It works out to about $23 per meal which is less than full Teppanyaki price ($35.34).

That's not a bad idea. Me and my husband have the SDP included, but I hadn't considered paying for a package for the kids, again at the same price as adults. We'll for sure be taking them to Teppanyaki and Le Bistro (for my husband's birthday). $81 is *almost* worth it IF they actually eat, and we fit in one more specialty meal.

In general I just don't like the dumbing down of kids food. I'm curious if other cruise lines have the same kids menu in every venue too. Not enough for me to not sail an itinerary I like, but I did give feedback on this on our last cruise.

(coming out of lurkdom because I feel strongly on this topic).

This was the one place that I was beyond disappointed with NCL on our last cruise (and first on NCL since I had kids). I admit, I was coming from DCL, where they bend over backwards for kids and have adapted *healthy* kids menus for every restaurant that vary every night. NCL was equivalent to eating at mcdonalds every night (and lunch too!). The kids menu was the exact same at every restaurant for Lunch and Dinner. Hamburger, hot dog, mac and cheese, chicken finger etc. My kids don't want to eat this for 14 meals in a week, and quite frankly, I don't want them eating this for 14 meals. (My other piece of advice is it was literally the exact same coloring sheet and each child was given 1 crayon at every meal -- yeah, that went over well. Thankfully I had highlights magazines for them. Plan accordingly)

Now, I will say, our servers (for the most part) were more than happy to accommodate. And in the MDR my kids ate off the adult menu, special ordered, every night. Lunch we had hit or miss with server's attitudes, but whatever, I'm not going to order off the kids menu to make your life easier. We only did one specialty restaurant with them, Le Bistro, and they ordered off the adult menu, and we paid for it, and no food went to waste.

This was the one place that I was beyond disappointed with NCL on our last cruise (and first on NCL since I had kids). I admit, I was coming from DCL, where they bend over backwards for kids and have adapted *healthy* kids menus for every restaurant that vary every night. NCL was equivalent to eating at mcdonalds every night (and lunch too!). The kids menu was the exact same at every restaurant for Lunch and Dinner. Hamburger, hot dog, mac and cheese, chicken finger etc. My kids don't want to eat this for 14 meals in a week, and quite frankly, I don't want them eating this for 14 meals. (My other piece of advice is it was literally the exact same coloring sheet and each child was given 1 crayon at every meal -- yeah, that went over well. Thankfully I had highlights magazines for them. Plan accordingly)

Now, I will say, our servers (for the most part) were more than happy to accommodate. And in the MDR my kids ate off the adult menu, special ordered, every night. Lunch we had hit or miss with server's attitudes, but whatever, I'm not going to order off the kids menu to make your life easier. We only did one specialty restaurant with them, Le Bistro, and they ordered off the adult menu, and we paid for it, and no food went to waste.

This. So much.

It's just disappointing and below the standard of most average restaurants where we live. My kids' restaurant behavior was pretty bad by the end of the week and I suspect this is why. I'm bringing entertainment stuff for meals this next trip.

I just read in a trip report about there being kids options at an a la cart (Cagney's or Jefferson's Bistro) for half price. I'd be really happy with that. Not sure if its true though.

Why couldn't they just order off the regular MDR menu? There is usually a pasta, fish, chicken, steak, some potatoes, veggies - most nights I ordered a protein off of the menu. Since it's free, it's the perfect time to try new things.

Why couldn't they just order off the regular MDR menu? There is usually a pasta, fish, chicken, steak, some potatoes, veggies - most nights I ordered a protein off of the menu. Since it's free, it's the perfect time to try new things.

I completely agree and was just about to say the same thing before reading your post. They can order anything they want from the adult menu. Just because something is listed on the adult menu and not the kids menu does that mean they aren't allowed to order it? They have plenty of variety to choose from each night in the dining rooms, and if that is such a problem, there is always the buffet. I don't think paying 2x the fare on DCL is worth it for a rotating kids menu (or frankly, for anything).

I completely agree and was just about to say the same thing before reading your post. They can order anything they want from the adult menu. Just because something is listed on the adult menu and not the kids menu does that mean they aren't allowed to order it? They have plenty of variety to choose from each night in the dining rooms, and if that is such a problem, there is always the buffet. I don't think paying 2x the fare on DCL is worth it for a rotating kids menu (or frankly, for anything).

Ours did. The issue is more with the specialties.

And it wouldn't take much effort to have a different kids menu/coloring sheet for each restaurant, that's the part I don't understand. It would still be the same across all the ships.