Muster drill attendance

Newbie41

Hi,

I just read an article about an elderly couple who was debarked from the Seabourne for not attending the muster drill. I understand the reasoning for debarking the couple, especially after the Concordia incident, but I stll feel sorry for them. In this particular situation the 90 year old husband attended the drill, but the wife didn't because she didn't feel well.

I just attended a muster drill on the victory, and there were 300-400 people crammed into a very small deck without air conditioning. It was very hot and uncomfortable, and the drill lasted more than 30 minutes.

I could understand how someone not feeling well wouldn't want to put themselves through this. In addition, how about people with disabilities or life threatening health problems such as heart or lung issues. Are they really expected to stand in a hot and unairconditioned area surrounded by 300 other people?

sorry, but excuses are excuses. would they sit it out had a real emergency occurred? did the concordia passengers that were not feeling well that night just sit out the real evacuation?

i hope this rolls out to all the lines. imagine if everyone thought they were above the drill.

your drill probably lasted 30 minutes because of the dopes that thought the drill was beneath them, and they had to flush them out.

Handicapped and disabled people are normally taken to a lounge or dining room instead of on the open deck.

If she wasn't feeling well, she should have said something to the guest services desk and maybe they would have found a way to accommodate her.

We took my SIL on a cruise right after she had foot surgery and was in a wheelchair. We went down early to the muster station before the elevators were shut down. The crew member that was running it told us to stay in the back close to the door. When the drill was over, he announced that all handicapped people were excused to leave first. That gave the handicapped people a fighting chance at getting an elevator. Yes, it was hot, yes it was stuffy but we knew what to do in case of an emergency.

On our last cruise I noted that no one took attendance at our muster station, so how would they know if you skipped it, unless they saw you out in a common area when you should've been at a muster station?

On our last cruise I noted that no one took attendance at our muster station, so how would they know if you skipped it, unless they saw you out in a common area when you should've been at a muster station?

I have wondered that too.

What irritates me is those who wander down, drink in hand, 15 minutes late. This isn't a party!

I've heard they go through and check all the state rooms.

On the Liberty there was a lounge on level 4 right by the muster stations. All the people with special needs were told to go into the lounge before the announcement of the muster drill. That way they could take the elevator and not the stairs. They were allowed to sit in the air conditioned lounge and go through the entire muster drill. When it was over, they were allowed to take the elevators up to the rooms before the rest of the people were released from the drill. I had to do this because I recently had surgery on my ankle and was not able to climb stairs.

Too bad that the couple did not ask the crew ahead of time what they should do. It would have been very easy for them.

Claudia

Muster Drill, did someone say Muster Drill. I am so there every time.

IMG_0063.JPG

But seriously, it is a MANDATORY GOVT Requirement. It doesnt take that long & doesnt hurt that much. So just DO IT !!!!!

Now you are prepared.................SAFETY FIRST :D

I've heard they go through and check all the state rooms.

They do. On our last cruise our room steward was going room-to-room and marking each room off of a checklist. You better show up to the muster drill :)

Carnival saw crew put tags in in cabin door key slot -if they did not see you, and check their clipboard, they search cabin and balconies.

First let me say that I do believe everyone should receive instruction on what to do in case of an emergency but you don't necessarily need to be at the muster station to receive them. Not all muster drills are on the same deck as the life boats. One of our cruises we actually had to report to the Lido deck and were given instructions there.

We just came off the Miracle on Monday, my sister saw a Carnival personnel in the hallway when the mustard drill sounded and he told her not to wake the baby to attend (she was about to wake him). He instructed her what deck and station to go to in case of an emergency and asked if there was an infant life jacket in the room.

So sometimes they allow exceptions, the key is to communicate with the proper personnel so you can receive alternate emergency instructions. She did receive instructions but it wasn't at the muster station.

They take a head count at each muster station, take a total guest count and then search out the missing. They communicate back and forth with walkie-talkies until all passengers are accounted for. And as usual there were some stragglers that thought they were above attending that kept everyone waiting. We waited about 30 minutes for instructions that were less than 5 minutes long.

Maybe this couple was just being defiant and that is why they were kicked off the ship.

Hi,

I just read an article about an elderly couple who was debarked from the Seabourne for not attending the muster drill. I understand the reasoning for debarking the couple, especially after the Concordia incident, but I stll feel sorry for them. In this particular situation the 90 year old husband attended the drill, but the wife didn't because she didn't feel well.

I just attended a muster drill on the victory, and there were 300-400 people crammed into a very small deck without air conditioning. It was very hot and uncomfortable, and the drill lasted more than 30 minutes.

I could understand how someone not feeling well wouldn't want to put themselves through this. In addition, how about people with disabilities or life threatening health problems such as heart or lung issues. Are they really expected to stand in a hot and unairconditioned area surrounded by 300 other people?

It doesn't bother me one bit. If it starts happening on every cruise

where all these entitled people think they are above going to muster

then it might get everyone there and finished a lot quicker.

I am awaiting knee surgery and on my recent Spirit cruise, when I went out on deck for the muster drill, one of the crew asked me if I was okay to stand for 30 minutes. She said if I wanted, I could sit just inside, which I did and there were a few others who could not stand outside. We could still hear the muster drill announcements and a couple of crew members did the life jacket demo for us.

One thing I did notice was a crew member standing right at the door, telling people who had drinks that they could not take the drinks outside with them and they had to leave them inside.

In addition, how about people with disabilities or life threatening health problems such as heart or lung issues. Are they really expected to stand in a hot and unairconditioned area surrounded by 300 other people?

I dont want to sound callous but here is my take.

If they cant do a muster drill how are they gong to handle real situation? Other passengers lives are at stake. If the drill is too much, then the real deal will be a big problem, not only for them but other passengers as well.

Some ships offer alternatives of course so everyone gets the education and drill. I wonder if their ship did not provide special accommodations. I know Carnival does.

I dont want to sound callous but here is my take.

If they cant do a muster drill how are they gong to handle real situation? Other passengers lives are at stake. If the drill is too much, then the real deal will be a big problem, not only for them but other passengers as well.

Agreed!

I have been to many and can't really say what I learned. We all know in an emergency its gonna be pandemonium regardless!

Did you learn which lifeboats your muster station is to report to in an evacuation?

Did you learn what the different ship horn blasts indicate?

Did you learn how to properly wear your lifevest?

If not you should pay attention at the next muster drill. ;)

I am willing to bet if they were giving out free bingo cards in the theater she would have felt good enough to go...

We have seen too many times how important the Muster drill is. If you are too sick to make the muster drill, then you are probably too sick to cruise anyway.

Archived