Liberty of the Seas 10/01/17 sailing with LGBT gathering

My hubs and I cruised on this date. Overall, the cruise was relaxing and enjoyable. However, we felt like staff could have been more friendly and attentive. Many seemed like they were more bothered by guests than helpful. The MDR service really seemed to have gone down when compared to previous years. And the LGBT gathering in the R Bar was truly non existent. It really would have been nice to have had a staff member hosting the event. That might have made a difference and made other ‘family’ members feel more welcomed and increased attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've generally found that LGBT gatherings can be hit or miss. At best, I've hung out with 8-10 others, and at worst, no one else has been there. It varies from sailing to sailing.

One variation that seems to have some impact is whether they list the gathering in the Cruise Compass or merely post it on the community board. Also, the time and/or location may be sub-optimal. One gathering, on Liberty of the Seas, in fact, back when she was sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ, was scheduled at 10:00 PM in Olive or Twist. That was a fine venue except that at 10:30 PM on most nights, a live music group would come in and play music so loudly we couldn't converse. We'd often relocate to a quieter venue like the R Bar.

I've generally found that LGBT gatherings can be hit or miss. At best, I've hung out with 8-10 others, and at worst, no one else has been there. It varies from sailing to sailing.

One variation that seems to have some impact is whether they list the gathering in the Cruise Compass or merely post it on the community board. Also, the time and/or location may be sub-optimal. One gathering, on Liberty of the Seas, in fact, back when she was sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ, was scheduled at 10:00 PM in Olive or Twist. That was a fine venue except that at 10:30 PM on most nights, a live music group would come in and play music so loudly we couldn't converse. We'd often relocate to a quieter venue like the R Bar.

Very true. It was posted in the Cruise Compass. Just wish Royal would have participated more like the other events. Almost felt like we were being pushed back in the closet. And I have way too many shoes to go back in there. Lol. Thanks for your thoughts and insight. We are going to try Princess out.

Very true. It was posted in the Cruise Compass. Just wish Royal would have participated more like the other events. Almost felt like we were being pushed back in the closet. And I have way too many shoes to go back in there. Lol. Thanks for your thoughts and insight. We are going to try Princess out.

No! Don't try Princess!

I've been on a few and recently Royal Princess in August and was so disappointed - as were many others. I have cancelled a couple of forward bookings with them and changed all my bookings to RCI/Celebrity from now on.

I can't really explain what was wrong but the staff were not half as efficient or friendly as RCI - well, especially Celebrity to be honest.

The ship as well was meh. Not a very comfortable place to hang out - sounds strange, but that's how we felt, everything was very open.

Ha! I can just hear myself shouting "NO, DON'T TRY PRINCESS!" :')

On almost all of the ships, there is at least one gay member of the Cruise Director's Staff, and even some of the Activities Manager's and Cruise Director's are gay as well (can think of a few, but it would be rude to list them on a forum). I think that they ought to host a special FOD gathering to show their appreciation for the LGBT community and connect with the guests on a greater level. That would be a nice touch.

This phenomena is not limited to any one cruise line. It's common on them all now. The same comments are made more and more frequently.

You aren't being pushed back anywhere. You are now welcomed and accepted everywhere.

If you want to cruise with family, invite them along but you'll run into plenty naturally.

This phenomena is not limited to any one cruise line. It's common on them all now. The same comments are made more and more frequently.

You aren't being pushed back anywhere. You are now welcomed and accepted everywhere.

If you want to cruise with family, invite them along but you'll run into plenty naturally.

1 - The cruise line doing little for LGBT gatherings isn't acceptable, regardless if other cruise lines don't do much either. They should all change.

2 - It is nice to have people that you have something in common with, not having that can cause isolation. Don't underestimate the fact that being gay in the 21st century can be very difficult, irrespective if society has evolved.

3 - Again, a gathering would really help people to make friends. Some people will turn away from one if they learn that they are gay. Just as the M&M organised by Royal helps us on CC make friends, so too would an LGBT gathering help LGBT people.

I know what I am talking about when it comes to LGBT issues. Whilst I don't talk about politics on this forum, I can go off on a bit of a tangent with this topic, so be careful!

Can non but friendly LGBT come hang out with you? Or do you prefer only LGBT? I have always wanted to know. I wouldn't mind hanging out with people who have more shoes than I do!

Lol. Always welcome to hang out with friendly people. And dishing about shoes is a must! Lol.

1 - The cruise line doing little for LGBT gatherings isn't acceptable, regardless if other cruise lines don't do much either. They should all change.

2 - It is nice to have people that you have something in common with, not having that can cause isolation. Don't underestimate the fact that being gay in the 21st century can be very difficult, irrespective if society has evolved.

3 - Again, a gathering would really help people to make friends. Some people will turn away from one if they learn that they are gay. Just as the M&M organised by Royal helps us on CC make friends, so too would an LGBT gathering help LGBT people.

I know what I am talking about when it comes to LGBT issues. Whilst I don't talk about politics on this forum, I can go off on a bit of a tangent with this topic, so be careful!

I've been cruising for decades with my son and his now-husband. I think I know that of which I speak.

The vast majority of cruise lines DO provide a space and time for such gatherings - some on a daily basis. Gatherings such as this and others like it have never been "hosted by a crew member".

They don't force people to attend. If attendance is poor, you have to look at the target audience (not the venue).

The so-called "CC M&M" are often not even attended by crew members and certainly shouldn't be judged as valued just because a crew member shows up.

The bottom line is that the cruise lines provide the time and place for those who want to meet, mingle and make friends with others. Just because they don't provide a host, advertise it more than any other gathering and force people to show up doesn't mean they haven't made the effort.

Amen! It is time for true acceptance in all environments. A sponsored event on all cruise lines including RCCL and its subsidiaries would help LGBTQ and friends not feel isolated. It makes such an impact when you can relate to others and share your experiences and life with others.

I've been cruising for decades with my son and his now-husband. I think I know that of which I speak.

The vast majority of cruise lines DO provide a space and time for such gatherings - some on a daily basis. Gatherings such as this and others like it have never been "hosted by a crew member".

They don't force people to attend. If attendance is poor, you have to look at the target audience (not the venue).

The so-called "CC M&M" are often not even attended by crew members and certainly shouldn't be judged as valued just because a crew member shows up.

The bottom line is that the cruise lines provide the time and place for those who want to meet, mingle and make friends with others. Just because they don't provide a host, advertise it more than any other gathering and force people to show up doesn't mean they haven't made the effort.

On RCI, the M&M is hosted by the Activities Manager (the Assistant to the Cruise Director) or occasionally even the Cruise Director.

If they don't advertise something, then you can never tell how many people will turn up.

Statistically, I heard that about 1 in 16 people are LGBT. If we were on a ship such as Harmony of the Seas, we are looking at about an average of around 900 LGBT people. Who are we to say that the event would have low attendance?

LGBT people do still have a hard time in society, as I'm sure that your son would know about. Therefore, I do think that it would be a kind gesture by Royal to have something for us. Many staff on the ships are gay, so it would be a great thing for them to do as well.

It makes such an impact when you can relate to others and share your experiences and life with others.

I even think that it would be great if the gay staff member would share a bit of their story. It would show us that we are all united, and would create a comfortable atmosphere for everyone.

On RCI, the M&M is hosted by the Activities Manager (the Assistant to the Cruise Director) or occasionally even the Cruise Director.

If they don't advertise something, then you can never tell how many people will turn up.

Statistically, I heard that about 1 in 16 people are LGBT. If we were on a ship such as Harmony of the Seas, we are looking at about an average of around 900 LGBT people. Who are we to say that the event would have low attendance?

LGBT people do still have a hard time in society, as I'm sure that your son would know about. Therefore, I do think that it would be a kind gesture by Royal to have something for us. Many staff on the ships are gay, so it would be a great thing for them to do as well.

And the Crown and Anchor event is hosted, not mandatory attendance. And members attend in droves.

Statistically, I heard that about 1 in 16 people are LGBT. If we were on a ship such as Harmony of the Seas, we are looking at about an average of around 900 LGBT people.

I think you need to check your math. Even if you're counting the 2,300 crew (most of whom are not allowed to hang out with the passengers) along with the maximum 5,479 guests, you still get less than 500 LGBT folks, Also, some of those are likely closeted.

Here's the thing. If you're on a ship with 4,000 people total (more than 8 times the number of LGBT folks presumed to be on board a ship of Harmony's size). you can still show up at the disco and find only a handful of people there.

Sometimes, people just don't show up for certain things, whether they're advertised or not. My point is, you can't pin this on the cruise line. They've done their part.

I think you need to check your math. Even if you're counting the 2,300 crew (most of whom are not allowed to hang out with the passengers) along with the maximum 5,479 guests, you still get less than 500 LGBT folks, Also, some of those are likely closeted.

Here's the thing. If you're on a ship with 4,000 people total (more than 8 times the number of LGBT folks presumed to be on board a ship of Harmony's size). you can still show up at the disco and find only a handful of people there.

Sometimes, people just don't show up for certain things, whether they're advertised or not. My point is, you can't pin this on the cruise line. They've done their part.

I found an estimate that around 6% of people are LGBT:

5479/100 = 54.79

54.79 * 6 = 328.74

OK - my maths was wrong there. I got an A in my 4th year of high school and haven't done any since! :D

Of course, some will be closeted, which I think is pretty awful, but about 200 people is still a big turnout.

C&A and M&M events are not obligatory, but often have a big turnout. FOD meetings could have the same.

Edited by Joe12

I found an estimate that around 6% of people are LGBT:

5479/100 = 54.79

54.79 * 6 = 328.74

OK - my maths was wrong there. I got an A in my 4th year of high school and haven't done any since! :D

Of course, some will be closeted, which I think is pretty awful, but about 200 people is still a big turnout.

C&A and M&M events are not obligatory, but often have a big turnout. FOD meetings could have the same.

Amen

My hubs and I cruised on this date. Overall, the cruise was relaxing and enjoyable. However, we felt like staff could have been more friendly and attentive. Many seemed like they were more bothered by guests than helpful. The MDR service really seemed to have gone down when compared to previous years. And the LGBT gathering in the R Bar was truly non existent. It really would have been nice to have had a staff member hosting the event. That might have made a difference and made other ‘family’ members feel more welcomed and increased attendance.

First, I want to say you've got the most descriptive username I've ever seen (y).

I'm sorry you didn't like the staff on Liberty, I think it can be hit or miss on any ship. But last year I thought the staff on Liberty was the best RCL staff I'd ever had.

I'm not LGBT, so feel free to ignore me, but I don't think RCL really hosts many of the social gatherings. I know when I was on my honeymoon only one event had any staff at all and that was just to cut a cake. I also never see them hosting singles events. I know I felt let down that the "honeymoon events" were basically all duds. But I think them not hosting the LGBT events is more par for course, as opposed to any kind of statement. I know there have been many similar complaints about AA meetings too.

Thank you for your input. I'm sorry to hear that all events are trending that way. In previous years my experience onboard was the total opposite. I'll keep hoping for the positive

I'll add something else: Have you considered mentioning this in your post cruise survey?

RCI are an LGBT friendly company, but I go back to my old point that it would be a nice gesture to the LGBT guests, especially as while society has evolved over the past couple of decades, there are still many places where we are not accepted, and a cruise ship should be the last place where anyone should feel unaccepted, isolated or out of the norm.

I'll add something else: Have you considered mentioning this in your post cruise survey?

RCI are an LGBT friendly company, but I go back to my old point that it would be a nice gesture to the LGBT guests, especially as while society has evolved over the past couple of decades, there are still many places where we are not accepted, and a cruise ship should be the last place where anyone should feel unaccepted, isolated or out of the norm.

Good points.