St Thomas/ St John FIRST TIMERS

Maverick509

We will dock in St Thomas for 9 hours in February. We have never been to either or any USVI. Have always wanted to go to St John. Advice on what we should do for the day, We love laying on the beach, quirky little beach bars but think we should see a little of the islands too. Any advice on how to spend the day, suggestions. How does one differ from the other? Should we focus on 1 or try to see both? Not really fan of group guided tours

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

TIA

There is no dollar bus to Red Hook from the port areas. The fare is $2 per person each way. Been $2 for years.

The ferry to St John doesn't run as frequently since the storm. Check schedule before making your decision.

There is no dollar bus to Red Hook from the port areas. The fare is $2 per person each way. Been $2 for years.

The ferry to St John doesn't run as frequently since the storm. Check schedule before making your decision.

Good tip! Wouldnt be good to miss the ship..

I have gone to St John’s by cab to red hook ferry and by ships excursion to self explore St Johns. The price is not that much difference but with both islands recovering I would probably taken the ships excursion to self explore St Johns. Usually a boat ride to the the St Johns dock. Cabs will be at the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no dollar bus to Red Hook from the port areas.

Correct, but it's a short walk from Havensight - use google maps - find "Rainbow Kids" - stand on the side of the street with Rainbow Kids - be sure to ask the driver if they are going to Red Hook.

check out the street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@18.3359131,-64.917693,3a,75y,327.27h,69.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHrFxnIWljPjpP_NTtFnxaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• 2 weeks later...
Dollar Bus to Red Hook. Ferry from Red Hook to St John. Taxi to Trunk Bay.

Trunk Bay is a little slice of heaven. Best beach I've ever been to (granted I have not been to that many).

Wanting to do this the second week of Feb. while on RCCL Harmony..debating doing it on our own or the cruise lines excursion (the cruise excursion doesn't have any time frames)....Are there taxi's at trunk bay to return back?

We love St John. St Thomas is busier but also beautiful. If you go to St John think about Cinnamon Beach, it’s quieter and just as beautiful as trunk bay. We’ve done it on our own and used the ship excursion to self explore. Do the ship one if you are nervous about the return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are there taxi's at trunk bay to return back?

I can only speak from my experience. Usually when a taxi drops someone off, they wait to pick someone up. When we came back from Trunk Bay, there was a van waiting to fill up. Just leave yourself a lot of cushion and you'll be OK.

Someone else mentioned the dollar bus -- as far as I know it's still called the dollar bus even though it's $2 (it was $1) -- we have a dollar theater here in Raleigh, thought it costs $2.25 now for admission. Anyway, the dollar bus is still much cheaper than a taxi whether it's a dollar or two.

The open air public transportation is usually referred to as the safari and taxis are referred to as taxis. The drivers lose out if someone who's supposed to be paying $2 only pays $1. IMO, it's misleading to call it the dollar bus (especially since it isn't even a bus).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We will dock in St Thomas for 9 hours in February. We have never been to either or any USVI. Have always wanted to go to St John. Advice on what we should do for the day, We love laying on the beach, quirky little beach bars but think we should see a little of the islands too. Any advice on how to spend the day, suggestions. How does one differ from the other? Should we focus on 1 or try to see both? Not really fan of group guided tours

TIA

I would focus on St. Thomas. St John is noted for nice beaches but not much else to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TIA

We had the same amount of time this past February while on Harmony of the seas. We wanted to try and see both islands but there isn’t really enough time so we decided on St. John. We got off the ship right after we docked and took a taxi to the Red Hook ferry. We got to St. John and There are open air safari taxis right at the end of the dock, they will drop you off wherever, we went to Trunk Bay, hung out there for a couple hours and then took a taxi back to Cruz Bay, had lunch and shopped! It was an awesome relaxing day. :)

We had the same amount of time this past February while on Harmony of the seas. We wanted to try and see both islands but there isn’t really enough time so we decided on St. John. We got off the ship right after we docked and took a taxi to the Red Hook ferry. We got to St. John and There are open air safari taxis right at the end of the dock, they will drop you off wherever, we went to Trunk Bay, hung out there for a couple hours and then took a taxi back to Cruz Bay, had lunch and shopped! It was an awesome relaxing day. :)

How long was the ferry ride to st johns.

and how long is the taxi from st johns ferry dock to trunk bay?

How long was the ferry ride to st johns.

and how long is the taxi from st johns ferry dock to trunk bay?

The ferry ride from Red Hook St. Thomas to St. John is about 20 minutes, it departs at specific times..here is the website with the schedule and info:

http://www.**********/travel/virgin-islands-ferry-schedules/

The taxi from St. John ferry dock (in Cruz bay) to Trunk Bay was no more than 30 minutes or so, they dropped off others at other beaches along the way and stopped st a couple of scenic points.

Also the taxi ride from the cruise port in St. Thomas to the Red Hook ferry was about 30-45 min.

We didn’t feel rushed or pressured for time at all. I believe our ship all aboard time was 5:30pm for departure at 6pm, we made sure to be back to the St. John ferry dock in time to catch the 3:30 pm ferry back to St.Thomas, others on this page had warned of traffic delays and things of that nature and 3:30 seemed like the safest bet! We had time to spare once we got back to St. Thomas and had our taxi driver drop us off in downtown Charlotte Amalie to do some shopping on the way back to the ship and then caught another taxi from there back to the ship!

The ferry ride from Red Hook St. Thomas to St. John is about 20 minutes, it departs at specific times..here is the website with the schedule and info:

http://www.**********/travel/virgin-islands-ferry-schedules/

The taxi from St. John ferry dock (in Cruz bay) to Trunk Bay was no more than 30 minutes or so, they dropped off others at other beaches along the way and stopped st a couple of scenic points.

Also the taxi ride from the cruise port in St. Thomas to the Red Hook ferry was about 30-45 min.

We didn’t feel rushed or pressured for time at all. I believe our ship all aboard time was 5:30pm for departure at 6pm, we made sure to be back to the St. John ferry dock in time to catch the 3:30 pm ferry back to St.Thomas, others on this page had warned of traffic delays and things of that nature and 3:30 seemed like the safest bet! We had time to spare once we got back to St. Thomas and had our taxi driver drop us off in downtown Charlotte Amalie to do some shopping on the way back to the ship and then caught another taxi from there back to the ship!

Thanks for sharing!