here's an interesting review of the Sun

Gaznjo

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579309

here is a review from an american on an aussie based ship!!

Funny how the exchange rate is talked about now the dollar is the other way !! i remember being in the USA when the rate was .70and in the UK and Europe when the pound was.34 pence.....no complaints just dealt with it you are on holidays for gods sake. We did the sun princess in 2010 and loved it , no complaints whatsoever and we had an 18 month old with us.

Bring on the voyager of the seas in Jan 2012!!!

I would have to support the views of the writer re Sun Princess, on several of his points.

I have travelled on both of the Aussie Princess ships - Sun Princess and Dawn Princess in the past 4 years. I have also travelled on the American Princess ships - Regal Princess, Star Princess, Pacific Princess, Diamond Princess, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess and Coral Princess, all in the past 7 years. Most of them 30 day cruises.

To me, from my experiences, neither the service, food, entertainment is as good on the Sun/Dawn Princess, compared to the others mentioned. I also believe the top crews are on the newest and largest Princess ships, Ruby and Crown. They handle tender operations very well. Others may differ in opinion but these are my views.

Anytime timing is handled ok on the Coral Princess which I was on in November and they also found an area for the Elite/Platinum Lounge, as the writer points out, none of these facilities are available on Dawn/Sun Princess. It should be noted Coral is a Sun Class ship like the Dawn and Sun Princesses.

Personally I would not travel on either the Dawn or Sun Princess again. I just think anything goes for the Aussies, they won't complain, so Princess drops its standards reserved for the Americans. Remember too, many Aussies do their first cruises on either Sun or Dawn Princess, and lets face it many of us after our first cruise thought every thing was great.

Just my two cents worth.

Funny how the exchange rate is talked about now the dollar is the other way !! i remember being in the USA when the rate was .70and in the UK and Europe when the pound was.34 pence.....no complaints just dealt with it you are on holidays for gods sake. We did the sun princess in 2010 and loved it , no complaints whatsoever and we had an 18 month old with us.

Or complaining about the lack of tipping, when everyone was complaining about having to tip before!

Sun Princess was far from my first cruise, but still one I rate highly. The specific complaints raised in the first review were rather specific. In comparison to newer ships they may be slightly deficient, but that's not unique to Princess. What they deliver is still a premium package compared to other lines.

Princess Australia are just too lazy and blase .

Take Anytime Dining it is not available on Sun, Dawn or Sea Princess when operating out of Australia. They say the vessels are not suited to Anytime Dining which is a complete untruth .

Sun, Dawn and Sea are identical Sun Class ships . In Alaskan waters miraculously Princess USA can offer Anytime Dining.

So Anytime Dining could be offered on all three ships in Australian waters, but Princess Australia is just too lazy to arrange for same .

Sun & Dawn are getting long in the tooth and Princess have had it too good with virtually no permanent competition in Australia, so they have also been price "gouging"Ausssies . Buy the same cruise in Australia and you get ripped off compared to the same cruise sold by Princess USA for much lower prices.

However a lot more Cruise Lines are now moving into Australia and Princess is being faced with more competition, and younger ships . Of all the major US lines only Norwegian is not operating in australian waters . The additional competition has already led to a move by Princess to offer pricing somewhat below their previous stratospheric highs.

I am a bit fascinated by what appears to me to be some kind of "obsession" with some people regarding evening "anytime" dining.

In 10 cruises so far, we have only experienced evening "anytime" dining twice - both times on P&O AUS ships. Personally, we did not like it. It does not work very well in how it is implemented - I think that this is because P&O are in fact trying to be all things to all people and offering a kind of cross, between anytime and set dining where groups can arrange to dine together. The other 8 times we have experienced traditional set times dining and have always enjoyed it. Perhaps this latter experience is because we have not yet had a bad experience of it.

We actually very much enjoy the "anytime" dining experience of all the cruiseships we have been on - in regard to how it is done at breakfast and lunch. In fact, I find MDR breakfasts and lunches to be far superior and preferable than eating in the "canteen".

Barry

I am a bit fascinated by what appears to me to be some kind of "obsession" with some people regarding evening "anytime" dining.

Perhaps this latter experience is because we have not yet had a bad experience

Barry

we won't do another cruise line that doesn't have it., after our last cruise (also Sun Pr) it spoilt our whole cruise, we had a couple on our table that didn't talk to anyone other than the waiters, because it was their 2nd leg of a b2b, they already "knew" our waiters, and they seemed to think that would impress everyone at the table...we started with 10, and each night another couple left to eat somewhere else, we ran into all of them, and they all said it was for the same reason we didn't feel comfortable...they just stared at the rest at the table and had absolutely no input..we ate elsewhere for a few nights out of the 14, but we shouldn't have had to...

And the cruise was our worst to date, as the weather was so bad, we only stopped @ 4 of our intended 8 ports, never got to the Sth island at all, so dinner was all we had to look forward to....

we won't do another cruise line that doesn't have it., after our last cruise (also Sun Pr) it spoilt our whole cruise, we had a couple on our table that didn't talk to anyone other than the waiters, because it was their 2nd leg of a b2b, they already "knew" our waiters, and they seemed to think that would impress everyone at the table...we started with 10, and each night another couple left to eat somewhere else, we ran into all of them, and they all said it was for the same reason we didn't feel comfortable...they just stared at the rest at the table and had absolutely no input..we ate elsewhere for a few nights out of the 14, but we shouldn't have had to...

And the cruise was our worst to date, as the weather was so bad, we only stopped @ 4 of our intended 8 ports, never got to the Sth island at all, so dinner was all we had to look forward to....

You do not have to put up with that treatment on a cruise.

If it does happen , go to the Maitre' de when you leave the Dinining Room on the first night and ask for a change of table. He should be only too willing to do that for you , as you are his guest , and his job is to see that you are happy.

The worst thing you can do , is keep going back to that table night after night , thinking it may get better.

It will not.

You do not have to put up with that treatment on a cruise.

If it does happen , go to the Maitre' de when you leave the Dinining Room on the first night and ask for a change of table. He should be only too willing to do that for you , as you are his guest , and his job is to see that you are happy.

The worst thing you can do , is keep going back to that table night after night , thinking it may get better.

It will not.

we put up with it because we did think that maybe the "cold" pair would eventually thaw....but sadly they did not...however the one other couple that stayed as well as us helped, by being so nice...and I think they felt the same as us, it just would have been soooo much better if all 10 had stayed put...and outnumbered the frozen ones.

it was also the first large table as you walk in, and they sat facing the entry..

100_2401.JPG

so, we would have had to walk back and fro' in front of them each night....making more uncomfortability.

but it won't happen again, as we really prefer NCL FREESTYLE CRUISING..12 restaurants, 16 bars, makes it a lot better choice.

Jann and John,

Not wishing to change this subject, but did want to ask re your views of the Freestyle dining on NCL. This was one of our concerns, re the oportunity to meet others at dinner. For us, like you, it is an important part of cruising, and something we look forward to each night re catching up/ chatting etc. Did you find the Freestyle sociable? Or is it similar to ATDining on Princess, where most times you get placed at at table for 2.

Jen

Jann and John,

For us, like you, it is an important part of cruising, and something we look forward to each night re catching up/ chatting etc. Did you find the Freestyle sociable? Or is it similar to ATDining on Princess, where most times you get placed at at table for 2.

Jen

we love it!!

the guy at the desk always ask if you are happy to share a table..we always say ..yes.

we have had the BEST dinner conversations, my husband is a real talker( but an interesting one) and people always interact with us..that's why the Sun was such a bummer!!

we especially love dining with Americans/Canadians as we have been there at least 12 times in the past 8 yrs, and we usually can relate to where they are from etc...they ARE an interesting bunch.

We have many we can call friends from our past cruiseS, we/they email weekly, send photos of new trips, have met up over there,

get Xmas cards every yr ...One FLORIDA couple we met on a Greek Isles cruise in 97, still call us friends..

when we did the Panama Canal in 09, they drove for 4 hrs just so they could have lunch with us before we boarded the ship, then drove 4 hrs home.

Also after the Sun we will be happy to fly 12 hrs to get a cruise over there, ....

so yes...it is a good thing..ANYTIME, FREESTYLE, WHATEVER ..you want to call it.

Australian cruises are not for us.

Or is it similar to ATDining on Princess, where most times you get placed at at table for 2.

Jen

Why would that happen? There are not too many 2 seat tables on any ships that we have been on - and when we go to the MDR for lunch and breakfast (both being "proper" anytime dining), we usually get seated at a larger table. Although I think I can remember being asked if we minded eating with others. Of course, we don't because we can have intimate romantic dinners for two any time at home!!!!:D.

Barry

we love it!!

the guy at the desk always ask if you are happy to share a table..we always say ..yes.

we have had the BEST dinner conversations, my husband is a real talker( but an interesting one) and people always interact with us..that's why the Sun was such a bummer!!

we especially love dining with Americans/Canadians as we have been there at least 12 times in the past 8 yrs, and we usually can relate to where they are from etc...they ARE an interesting bunch.

Also after the Sun we willbe happy to fly 12 hrs to get a cruise over there, ....Australian cruises are not for us.

I can't thankyou enough for your reply. This upcoming cruise now sounds perfect. When we did the AT dining on the Diamond we were always at a table for two, as 90% were tables for 2, and hence no interaction. The Diamond was great except for this....we basically ate alone every night, and wished we had gone for Traditional Dining.

Again, huge thankyou. Jen:)

I can't thankyou enough for your reply. This upcoming cruise now sounds perfect. When we did the AT dining on the Diamond we were always at a table for two, as 90% were tables for 2, and hence no interaction. The Diamond was great except for this....we basically ate alone every night, and wished we had gone for Traditional Dining.

Again, huge thankyou. Jen:)

forgot to add...if you"gel" with someone you really like, you can dine with them anytime OF YOUR CHOOSING, and wherever YOU WANT TO EAT..

if going on NCL, totally recommend their Chinese restaurant, and Cagneys steakhouse..yum!

Why would that happen? There are not too many 2 seat tables on any ships that we have been on - and when we go to the MDR for lunch and breakfast (both being "proper" anytime dining), we usually get seated at a larger table. Although I think I can remember being asked if we minded eating with others. Of course, we don't because we can have intimate romantic dinners for two any time at home!!!!:D.

Barry

Barry, I should have been more specific. The only time we have done AT dining was on the Diamond Princess, hence we can't comment on the other Princess ships. We love Princess btw. The SeaP didn't have this option. Our breakfasts and lunches are usually quick affairs in the buffet, with an occasional visit to the MDR. Like I said, the Diamond had most tables as tables/for/2, which didn't work for us socially....on NCL it is all Freestyle or AT dining. Glad to know NCL have more big tables to suit our 'fussy' preferences:)

Barry, I should have been more specific. The only time we have done AT dining was on the Diamond Princess,

Thanks for that - I now know that 90% of tables on Diamond Princess are for two people only :eek: - we WOULDN'T like that at all!! :D

Barry

forgot to add...if you"gel" with someone you really like, you can dine with them anytime OF YOUR CHOOSING, and wherever YOU WANT TO EAT..

if going on NCL, totally recommend their Chinese restaurant, and Cagneys steakhouse..yum!

Yes, we already have them on our 'to do' list. We are on Norwegian Sun (and also Crown Princess, whilst over there). Years ago, we went on the Superstar Leo, Star Cruises.....they had a great system for dining....basically AT dining, but with choices of 'normal', chinese, japanese etc. Kind of like having specialty restaurants, but included in your fare at no extra cost.

Years ago, we went on the Superstar Leo, Star Cruises.....they had a great system for dining....basically AT dining, but with choices of 'normal', chinese, japanese etc. Kind of like having specialty restaurants, but included in your fare at no extra cost.

We have friends who went on Superstar Leo also when she was cruising out of Oz during the SARS crisis. They RAVED about both the ship and the food - a couple of years later they went on Diamond Princess, and came home very disappointed!! :eek:

Barry

We have friends who went on Superstar Leo also when she was cruising out of Oz during the SARS crisis. They RAVED about both the ship and the food - a couple of years later they went on Diamond Princess, and came home very disappointed!! :eek:

Barry

We did the same on the Leo re the SARS. That ship was the BEST we have been on, for everything. Even their shows/entertainment were out of this world. I would even go as far as suggesting they were above five star, but not stuffy at all. I often still play the dvd we made on this ship. We also love the Diamond, except the AT. You do have an option to opt for Traditional, which still allows you to do AT on odd nights if one prefers. But you cannot do it the other way round ie if you opt for AT, you cannot change to Traditional. Next time we go on the Diamond we will make sure we have Traditional. DH also didn't like waiting, buzzer in hand, for over half an hour for a table....even though you can book a time. Things may have changed since then though, as it has been 2 years since we cruised on her.

Barry

We flew over for one of those cruises.

At the prices they were charging anyone would have raved ....

all they wanted was to get people on the boat to give the staff something to do..

The cruises sold out real quick and Star cruises must has lost a bundle on those deals.

I have to agree with the OP, def not a fan of traditional dining. I don't mind it for this little 2 nighter we have coming up as we don't have to rush back from a port or get dressed up but it would drive me nuts to be locked into a fixed time every night. We do eat at the buffet a lot for convenience but I also like that fettucine in Parmesan bowl and Baked Alaska.

It does seem silly they can't allocate one dining room or at least half of one for Anytime dining.

We were on the Diamond last year for 23 nights and didn't find that the tables were mainly for two. Quite the opposite. There were people waiting every night for a table for two as most of the tables were six and up. We settled on a table for 10 with friends of ours in the Pacific Moon Restaurant. The waiters were excellent so we had a permanent booking every night at the same time...... may as well had traditional dining. LOL

I believe you Eileen, of course, but I am not telling 'porkies'...LOL,,on our cruise, which went Syd to NZ return, lots of 2 seaters and very few larger tables. Only thing I can think of is that they altered the config. By memory it was one of the first cruises done by the Diamond downunder. Not a big deal....but if they have changed, then it is for the better. It is a lovely ship, and we particularly liked the English pub lunches onboard. We had a big cc group onboard too, which was fabulous.

Archived