Cozumel, hangout or excursion?

Lvee4

Hi, all!

First time cruiser here planning an anniversary cruise. We are skipping shore excursions for sure in Key West and Havana in favor of just exploring.

I'm trying to decide what to do in Cozumel though. Should we just hang out, or do an excursion? I'm not really interested in scuba or snorkeling or dolphin type stuff, and it seems like all the mainland stuff in Playa del Carmen wastes the whole day on the ferry (I get seasick sometimes in smaller boats) and bus.

I see a bunch of adventure type stuff but am looking for something a little more low key or authentic. And I live in a beach town so an all inclusive beach thing probably isn't necessary, if we're going to just chill on the beach does anyone recommend a particular area?

I would like to see some ruins maybe. Is there anything like that on the island, or do I need to ferry to the mainland for that?

Thanks everyone!! Cozumel happens to be on our Cuba itinerary for the date that works best with our schedules and I wanst planning on it but consider it a bonus. :D:D

There are no ruins of note on Cozumel, only a couple of small worship centers, not cities where people lived.

Something more authentic.... really nothing on Cozumel more than water sports as it is one of the Top 10 diving destinations in the world. Over on the mainland, yes that means taking the ferry, you can get a more Mexican/Mayan experience. That is where I would recommend you go. The ferry is only bad if it is windy and waves are high. That is not every day.

There are several Mayan experiences, do one through your ship so that your group has its own ferry boat assigned and guaranteed to get you back on time. I am a history dork so I am all about the Mayan culture, so you can take that with a grain of salt, but I think you would be crazy not to try to experience it when in this area of the Yucatan. The Mayans were fascinating people and the ones who remained in area have melded with the Mexican cultures, lots of excursions explore their history and culture. We first visited Cozumel 18 yrs ago when our son had to do a paper on Mayans - we decided we had to go there on vacation. We've been going there for a week land-based every year since, as well as stops on cruises the past few years. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just my 2 cents.

robin

First, In Havana, you can't go "exploring" on your own. Best to do a ship excursion where you're assured of an "official" guide. There are places they do not allow touristas and you can easily wander into these zones.

In Coz, there is a small set of minor Maya ruins called San Gervasio. Butt he better ruins are inland on the mainland. Tulum on the coast gets raves mainly for the vista. It too was a minor set, more ceremonial than functional. Long days journey for short time at ruins.

May I suggest, you contact Tours Plaza ("hiring a driver for the day" thread here) and take an island tour to the east side. You can also stop at the ruins and at the Tequila Factory both along the Transversal Road from the east side to San Miguel. Another option which can be fun depending on the mix of passengers, is the Bar Hop Bus. Which also goes to the East Side and stops at several beaches and beach bars there. Information on that is also on this board.

I second Crew’s suggestions and would add Josefina’s cooking class for an authentic experience (a cooking class in a local’s home with a trip to the Mercado to buy ingredients). Unfortunately I don’t think it is run by Josefina herself anymore (due to illness) but continues to get good reviews.

Another tour that offers local flavor is a photo tour with Tati Biernas, which includes walking tour in San Miguel.

Or there is a food tour with CozumelChef.

Welcome to the boards! :cool:

Take a look at the Cozumel Bar hop tour -- takes you around the island with stops on the east side (great scenery), some funky beach bars, beaches, etc. An inexpensive and fun way to see the island while someone else does the driving.

Please come back after your cruise and let us know what option you chose and how you enjoyed it.

Have a great cruise! :D

Hi, all!

First time cruiser here planning an anniversary cruise. We are skipping shore excursions for sure in Key West and Havana in favor of just exploring.

I'm trying to decide what to do in Cozumel though. Should we just hang out, or do an excursion? I'm not really interested in scuba or snorkeling or dolphin type stuff, and it seems like all the mainland stuff in Playa del Carmen wastes the whole day on the ferry (I get seasick sometimes in smaller boats) and bus.

I see a bunch of adventure type stuff but am looking for something a little more low key or authentic. And I live in a beach town so an all inclusive beach thing probably isn't necessary, if we're going to just chill on the beach does anyone recommend a particular area?

I would like to see some ruins maybe. Is there anything like that on the island, or do I need to ferry to the mainland for that?

Thanks everyone!! Cozumel happens to be on our Cuba itinerary for the date that works best with our schedules and I wanst planning on it but consider it a bonus. :D:D

Go to Chankanaab National Park for a little flavor of Mexico including fun , education and beach or if you want a private beach resort go to Nachi Cocom. Both are close and easily accessible via private taxi with plenty of taxis available to bring you back to the ship. Nachi REQUIRES advanced reservations. Don’t just wander in Cozumel as it’s really not worth it and I’ve been there more times than I can count starting with my honeymoon in 1981. Have fun! (I didn’t want to break rules or I’d have posted the website links.)

Thanks Robin! We are going via Carnival in April.. Would you recommend Tulum or Chitchen Itza? Most of the reviews said you spend a lot of time traveling to and from. :/

I believe I read that the Tulum excursion included some beach time.

Beach isn't a must-do, as I live in SWFL so I have access to beaches whenever, but I do like seeing other beaches, lol.

We probably won't hit the beach in the Keys or Cuba so if we squeeze it in a little in Cozumel, awesome.

Hopefully the waters will be fine. I've been seasick on the Key West Express and the ferry to Dry Tortugas, but both in November in rough waters.

We both really want to do the ruins, high priority for my husband, but I don't want to ruin it being seasick. We still laugh about me passing out from dramamine on the Tortugas boat and hogging an entire bench, lol. :')

There are no ruins of note on Cozumel, only a couple of small worship centers, not cities where people lived.

Something more authentic.... really nothing on Cozumel more than water sports as it is one of the Top 10 diving destinations in the world. Over on the mainland, yes that means taking the ferry, you can get a more Mexican/Mayan experience. That is where I would recommend you go. The ferry is only bad if it is windy and waves are high. That is not every day.

There are several Mayan experiences, do one through your ship so that your group has its own ferry boat assigned and guaranteed to get you back on time. I am a history dork so I am all about the Mayan culture, so you can take that with a grain of salt, but I think you would be crazy not to try to experience it when in this area of the Yucatan. The Mayans were fascinating people and the ones who remained in area have melded with the Mexican cultures, lots of excursions explore their history and culture. We first visited Cozumel 18 yrs ago when our son had to do a paper on Mayans - we decided we had to go there on vacation. We've been going there for a week land-based every year since, as well as stops on cruises the past few years. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just my 2 cents.

robin

Thanks for the tips 🙂🙂🙂

As per a thread I read here at cruise critic which was VERY informative about an the Cuba restrictions, I'm now planning to do a food tour, not booked with the cruise but one that's highly recommended here on CC and is US travel compliant.

The bar hop sounds fun if I was there with girlfriends but my husband doesn't drink so it'd end up just being him babysitting my loud mouth all afternoon 🤣🤣🤣

First, In Havana, you can't go "exploring" on your own. Best to do a ship excursion where you're assured of an "official" guide. There are places they do not allow touristas and you can easily wander into these zones.

In Coz, there is a small set of minor Maya ruins called San Gervasio. Butt he better ruins are inland on the mainland. Tulum on the coast gets raves mainly for the vista. It too was a minor set, more ceremonial than functional. Long days journey for short time at ruins.

May I suggest, you contact Tours Plaza ("hiring a driver for the day" thread here) and take an island tour to the east side. You can also stop at the ruins and at the Tequila Factory both along the Transversal Road from the east side to San Miguel. Another option which can be fun depending on the mix of passengers, is the Bar Hop Bus. Which also goes to the East Side and stops at several beaches and beach bars there. Information on that is also on this board.

Thanks I will look into both of these. I do like national parks.

Are there public beaches or is everything resort-access?

Go to Chankanaab National Park for a little flavor of Mexico including fun , education and beach or if you want a private beach resort go to Nachi Cocom. Both are close and easily accessible via private taxi with plenty of taxis available to bring you back to the ship. Nachi REQUIRES advanced reservations. Don’t just wander in Cozumel as it’s really not worth it and I’ve been there more times than I can count starting with my honeymoon in 1981. Have fun! (I didn’t want to break rules or I’d have posted the website links.)

All of the beaches are public access up to the high tide line - but to use any of the facilities you need to pay.

Chankanaab offers a small beach plus separate snorkel area, plus sea lion and dolphin stuff; adult admission is about $20 each

Tulum is the closest of the Mayan ruins - with most tours you'll get a fair amount of time there plus time on the beach, but you'll need to endure the ferry and bus rides both ways. It can be a long day.

Cheaper beach options on Coz include the Money bar - no beach but good snorkeling from the shore and no admission fee - and Paradise Beach - $3 admission fee, nice beach and HUGE pool.

Spend some time on these boards and trip advisor and figure out how you want to spend your limited time on Coz. good luck with your planning! :)

MY OPINION - I do not think Chichen Itza is worthwhile from Cozumel cruise port. It is just too far and you will only get a little over an hour there, out of an 8 hour day. Also there will be thousands of other people there, tons of tour buses. It is very crowded. If you really want to see it, book a cruise that goes to Progreso, or better yet, do a land vacation to the Yucatan (fly into Cancun) and spend the night in a hotel there. We did that a few years ago, well worth it to spend a whole day there. It is EPIC beyond words.

Progreso is also the port to go to Uxmal, which is just as epic as Chichen Itza. IMHO it is better as no crowds. It is very remote though, like all the great ruins, and it is a full day excursion from Progreso.

Tulum is your best option from Cozumel if you only want a taste of Mayan culture. It is very weak compared with those ruins you can see from other ports though. So its up to you.

If you want a little taste of Mayan culture and also a little Ooohh Aaaaah, try out one of the underground river (Mayan cenotes) excursions through your ship. That is, if you don't mind being underground in the dark in caves and water. We loved our excursion "Underground River and 5th Ave Shopping" and I have a short video highlights.

you have to take the ferry over, but if you book through your ship, you will have your own ferry at the pier. Easy over and back that way.

robin