Cruising and Car Seats!?

Jcort22

Hi All,

My Husband, myself and our 1.5 year old daughter will be cruising in May. We are leaving out of Bayonne, NJ and stopping at Port Canaveral (Orlando), CoCoCay (Bahamas) and Nassau (Bahamas). I am completely confused about the whole car seat situation. We do not plan on bringing our daughter's car seat, but how do you get around without it? I'm not sure if there is anything within walking distance to do at Port Canaveral? Also, I really wanted to do a Dolphin excursion in Nassau Bahamas but how would we get there? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated! :)

We took my 15 month old a year ago and did not bring a carseat. We had planned to walk around or did excursions that used bus transportation so no carseat needed. It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure Port Canaveral did not have anything within walking distance so that would be a harder port with US carseat regulations. I would probably plan on an excursion of some kind and find out ahead of time if you need a carseat or if they can even provide one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Coco Cay is the private island...totally walkable...no cars or buses there! Some "trams" pulled by a golf cart sort of thing...you can walk faster than they go.

In your other ports, either don't venture far, or use a ship's excursion...it will be on a BIG bus...no seats are able to be used on buses.

Port Canaveral has a few restaurants at the port. Other than that, you would need to do a shore excursion or arrange a car service that provides car seats. Cocoa Beach and Kennedy Space Center are nearby.

There are plenty of shops & restaurants to walk to Nassau. I believe there might be a water taxi to one of the dolphin encounters.

We sailed with DD @ 2.5, 3 and 3.5 and never took a car seat. We just stuck close to the ports or used a water taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At risk of being shot down in flames, I would also suggest that travelling by slow-moving taxi isn't all that dangerous. If you travel only short journeys and offer the driver twice the fare as a tip if he doesn't go over 20 mph, then there's a fair chance you'll arrive safely.

Be aware, at least, that riding in an unsecured taxi is a safer way of getting to your destination than walking on the footpath by the road. You spend less time in the danger zone, and you have at least some protection in a crash.

Another option would be using something like Uber. I believe that they have an Uber Family, where they might be able to provide a car seat. It may take a bit longer to get a ride, but you would be able to rest assured that it's safe.

We are doing the same ports in March. My kids are older (4 and 6), so I am bringing an RSTV for the younger one and a no-back booster for the older one to use in Florida. For Nassau, we are doing a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton because it is walkable.