Viking Tor jogging/walking track

Jay Bee

We'll be river cruising for the first time soon. The deck plans for the Viking Tor show a walking track that is sometimes referenced as a jogging track. It probably isn't that good for jogging since it's got to be small. Does anyone know the laps per mile? And would fellow passengers consider it out of place or obnoxious if someone was jogging?

thanks.:)

We'll be river cruising for the first time soon. The deck plans for the Viking Tor show a walking track that is sometimes referenced as a jogging track. It probably isn't that good for jogging since it's got to be small. Does anyone know the laps per mile? And would fellow passengers consider it out of place or obnoxious if someone was jogging?

Being a runner/walker, I cannot even fathom how many laps it would take!

They did have a sign up asking that no one use jogging track before 8am I believe (note that this was on a visit to see one of their longboats, not as a passenger).

Why not enjoy the local scenery and take a run off the boat? I have made some wonderful discoveries that way.

I'll address the 'obnoxious' possibility.

If you must jog, please honor the 8am sign. On our cruise there was a guy that jogged every morning before 6am. Our cabin was on the 3rd deck and the track was right above us, so we would hear him pound over us on every lap. We and many of our neighbors complained to the guy with no success and we finally had to elevate the complaints to the captain to get him to stop.

A simple Google search shows that the Tor is 443 feet long. So, not counting the additional distance from the width of the ship, 5280/(443x2)=5.9594 laps per mile.

Including the width of 12 meters. the total distance per lap is 964.5 feet instead of the 886 feet w/o the width so this changes the laps per mile to 5.4772.

Hope this helps.

DON

A simple Google search shows that the Tor is 443 feet long. So, not counting the additional distance from the width of the ship, 5280/(443x2)=5.9594 laps per mile.

Including the width of 12 meters. the total distance per lap is 964.5 feet instead of the 886 feet w/o the width so this changes the laps per mile to 5.4772.

Hope this helps.

DON

Except that generally the sun deck is available the entire length of the ship, and the walking track is set inside from the railings. On AMAcello, which isn't that much smaller than the Tor, there were 13 laps to a mile. Very difficult to keep count without taking your shoes off!

Click HERE for the sundeck desk plan of the Tor. As you can see, the track is no place near the length of the ship. I would guess that it is 15-20 laps to the mile. It also is entirely above passenger cabins, including the espensive cabins, not over common areas. It also is around the seating area, making it useless when many passengers are on or coming and going to the lounge chair area. It does not seem very practical or useful.

Edited by beverlyjack

Actually the walking/jogging track is both practical and useful and many people were using it during our cruising time on our recent cruise. I do not recall the number of laps per mile, but the CD did give that info during our orientation briefing. They do ask that passengers not use the track b/f 8am or after 10pm.

Becki