La Casa en La Playa - A Select Retreat

Reese1203

Me my husband and two friends went to the "select retreat" in August and had the time of our lives! It was seriously the best excursion we have been on. I've heard there's not much difference between the two other than the beaches but I will tell you on the select retreat you must bring water shoes!! The beach is extremely rocky and it didn't help the day we were there the water was extra choppy! It's very easy to cut/skin up your feet in the water on the rocks! We only had 20 people in our group and no kids went on the excursion. I believe one is adults only and the other allows kids. We took a short cab ride to the beach, once we got there we were served a lemonade to start! They have hammocks, beds, chairs spread out everywhere and they give you a tour of the beach house! You never go without a drink since there are several employees waiting on you all the time! They even made me a special ice cream tequila drink! You choose what time you want lunch, and when it's ready they come and get you! You can eat wherever you choose! At the end of the day you are not ready to go lol! They have a tip box set out you can put a tip in. I was worried before we left from previous posts about the tips, but it was much simpler than what I thought! If we cruise back to Cozumel again, this will be a definite stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the reply Youngcruiseaholic!

Both the "Select Retreat" and the "Rocky Shores" List the kids price at $99 and $84 respectfully. I'm thinking the "Select Retreat" limits the size to a smaller group. I'll have to call Carnival and see if they know - however I think the people here would probably have better information.

Does the "Select Retreat" offer a plant based (vegan) meal (I'm in a 5 year study).

I wonder if they would let me cook my own?

Thanks for the reply Youngcruiseaholic!

Both the "Select Retreat" and the "Rocky Shores" List the kids price at $99 and $84 respectfully. I'm thinking the "Select Retreat" limits the size to a smaller group. I'll have to call Carnival and see if they know - however I think the people here would probably have better information.

Does the "Select Retreat" offer a plant based (vegan) meal (I'm in a 5 year study).

I wonder if they would let me cook my own?

I can't remember if they offer vegan or not, I want to say it was fish, chicken, or beef. They did have salsa chips and guacamole for snacks etc. it seems like they would have an alternative though... I remember hearing someone say they would go to town if needed lol!

When we first met for the excursion two people switched from the select retreat to rocky shores.. And it was pretty even on numbers. I wanna say their group had 22-24 and ours had just 20, but when you actually get there it feels like there's only about 10 people there! The reason why we picked the select retreat was we heard it was a more rock filled beach at the other... But It honestly was pretty rocky at the one we went too.

With about 70 days out before the cruise I see that the "Select" has only 5 spaces left and "Rocky" has 16 spaces left.

It does sound like they are super service oriented so I imagine they could find some beans to throw in a taco with pico and guacamole - I'm easy.

I see from this thread that they are on Facebook, but does anyone know if they have an e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked us for "Select" in a few weeks from the Freedom. The pictures looked better than Rocky point, but I noticed one reviewer has been to both and raved about them equally. They allow kids at both places now- my understanding is that it used to be adults only but now there's no minimum age requirement. We're paying $119 for the adults and I think about $90 for our 9-y-o and our 18-month-old was free. There are now only 3 spots left. The reviews were so amazing it will be surprising if they truly live up to them. I'd imagine that weather plays a HUGE factor.

Very excited for this excursion in particular!

I've been to "Passion Island" in Cozumel - it's still offered, and costs a little more than half as much. I don't have any problems managing my own expectations - I exepct plastic chairs, seaweed on the beach in winter, etc., but my problem with Passion was the two hours crammed onto the "motorized catamaran," which is essentially passenger ferry - cramped bench seats, etc. That's a huge chunk out of the day just getting to the beach.

If the "La Casa en La Playa - A Select Retreat" is easier to get to, it'll be worth it just to spend less time in transit.

How long did it take to get there?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cannot say enough about our trip to La Casa via the Carnival Cruise line....it was seriously the best thing we did while on our cruise and look forward to going to this little gem again. If you like a smaller more intimate setting with your spouse or special someone this is a great excursion to book! Only 24 people allowed it was perfect. We were waited on hand and foot on a private beach in a little open air two story home on the beach! Worth every penny! Only sad part is having to say good bye and get back on the ship with hundreds of people. We could have stayed in that spot all day and into the night.

The food was VERY good...the chips salsa and fresh guac were made fresh on the spot and to die for!!! Margarita's KILLER! Adolfo with Tripping Cool Group took such good care of us the entire time! The water was crystal clear and that perfect Caribbean temp!

My advice is to book right away and when you arrive at the beach scope out where you'd like to plunk down for the day as it's first come first serve with the other travelers. You can choose lounge chairs under tiki umbrella's, hammocks, lounge chairs by the shade trees or just sit up on the balcony of the quaint little hacienda.

Very clean, very safe and the best chill, romantic & relaxing place to go!

Highly recommend it!

I would be interested in any current reviews as well.

I cannot say enough about our trip to La Casa en La Playa via the Carnival Cruise line....it was seriously the best thing we did while on our cruise and look forward to going to this little gem again. If you like a smaller more intimate setting with your spouse or special someone this is a great excursion to book! Only 24 people allowed it was perfect. We were waited on hand and foot on a private beach in a little open air two story home on the beach! Worth every penny! Only sad part is having to say good bye and get back on the ship with hundreds of people. We could have stayed in that spot all day and into the night.

The food was VERY good...the chips salsa and fresh guac were made fresh on the spot and to die for!!! Margarita's KILLER! Adolfo with Tripping Cool Group took such good care of us the entire time! The water was crystal clear and that perfect Caribbean temp!

My advice is to book right away and when you arrive at the beach scope out where you'd like to plunk down for the day as it's first come first serve with the other travelers. You can choose lounge chairs under tiki umbrella's, hammocks, lounge chairs by the shade trees or just sit up on the balcony of the quaint little hacienda.

Highly recommend it!

Trying to review CURRENT insights on La Casa en La Playa Cozemel. Nothing since 2013 , something isn't Kosher with this excursion.

I cannot say enough about our trip to La Casa via the Carnival Cruise line....it was seriously the best thing we did while on our cruise and look forward to going to this little gem again. If you like a smaller more intimate setting with your spouse or special someone this is a great excursion to book! Only 24 people allowed it was perfect. We were waited on hand and foot on a private beach in a little open air two story home on the beach! Worth every penny! Only sad part is having to say good bye and get back on the ship with hundreds of people. We could have stayed in that spot all day and into the night.

My advice is to book right away and when you arrive at the beach scope out where you'd like to plunk down for the day as it's first come first serve with the other travelers. You can choose lounge chairs under umbrella's, hammocks, lounge chairs by the shade trees or just sit up on the balcony of the quaint little hacienda.

Highly recommend it!

Highly recommend it!

No reviews for some considerable time, either on here or TripAdvisor,and then suddenly three posts from someone who just joined to post.

I tried to visit this venue back when it first opened and got glowing reviews but it was restricted to Carnival cruisers. I wondered if its popularity would last with such a small market. Same with Rocky Shores next door, I have heard nothing about that either - is it still offered?

• 2 months later...

I have done the La Casa excursion twice and have been very impressed both times. First time was October of 2015, the house wasn't great a little old, maybe, it was a two story house on the beach (south side of the island?). The ride from the highway to the house was a bit bumpy and I started wondering if we had made a bad mistake but the service and food were fantastic. The only bad thing I can say about the time there was my quesadilla lunch was stolen by a rogue peacock that was wandering around on the beach. Yep a peacock that's as bad as it got, drinks flowed freely, the food was great - at least the part I got to taste, away from that bird of terror - lol!

Second excursion was last week (September 2017) a different house (north side of the island?) with a pool for those that don't like the salt water. The food was great, a cooking lesson was offered so you can try to recreate the magic. Drinks continued to flow freely, the water was great although we were warned that it might be a bit murky because of the currents with the hurricanes. They provided sun screen, towels, food, drinks, snacks. Our only possible complaint is that there was a brief rain shower while we ate lunch, sitting at a table under the patio cover. I assure you - I did get my money's worth. One qualifier - I was told that they will accept up to 40 guests, (I believe). Both time there were about 20 guests and I believe it would have been very crowded if there had been 40 people there (similar to the beach at Mahogany Bay).

Tripping Cool is a class act, from what I have seen they really have their act together and make every effort to please you. The price for the excursion is a bit more than just the "day at the beach" type excursion, in fact I cringed both time I booked it, but I also ended up very pleased and leaving rather nice tips for the group. I would not hesitate to book another excursion with them.

I have done the La Casa excursion twice and have been very impressed both times. First time was October of 2015, the house wasn't great a little old, maybe, it was a two story house on the beach (south side of the island?). The ride from the highway to the house was a bit bumpy and I started wondering if we had made a bad mistake but the service and food were fantastic. The only bad thing I can say about the time there was my quesadilla lunch was stolen by a rogue peacock that was wandering around on the beach. Yep a peacock that's as bad as it got, drinks flowed freely, the food was great - at least the part I got to taste, away from that bird of terror - lol!

Second excursion was last week (September 2017) a different house (north side of the island?) with a pool for those that don't like the salt water. The food was great, a cooking lesson was offered so you can try to recreate the magic. Drinks continued to flow freely, the water was great although we were warned that it might be a bit murky because of the currents with the hurricanes. They provided sun screen, towels, food, drinks, snacks. Our only possible complaint is that there was a brief rain shower while we ate lunch, sitting at a table under the patio cover. I assure you - I did get my money's worth. One qualifier - I was told that they will accept up to 40 guests, (I believe). Both time there were about 20 guests and I believe it would have been very crowded if there had been 40 people there (similar to the beach at Mahogany Bay).

Tripping Cool is a class act, from what I have seen they really have their act together and make every effort to please you. The price for the excursion is a bit more than just the "day at the beach" type excursion, in fact I cringed both time I booked it, but I also ended up very pleased and leaving rather nice tips for the group. I would not hesitate to book another excursion with them.

Are you saying you booked the same named excursion twice through Carnival but were taken to two different locations?

Did you know in advance it was going to be a different place?

Yes, both times the excursions were through Carnival. The excursion "La Casa en La Playa" (The house on the beach) description does not detail where the house is or on which beach and I don't care as long as it is a nice location. We mentioned to the guide that we had done it a couple of years earlier and he told us that they had a new better house, and the house was better. But we did like the previous beach a little better, the area they owned back in 2015 was a little larger.

Yes, both times the excursions were through Carnival. The excursion "La Casa en La Playa" (The house on the beach) description does not detail where the house is or on which beach and I don't care as long as it is a nice location. We mentioned to the guide that we had done it a couple of years earlier and he told us that they had a new better house, and the house was better. But we did like the previous beach a little better, the area they owned back in 2015 was a little larger.

Hmm, strange. I know who used to own the house next to Palancar but I do see that it is now on Airbnb so probably didn't renew contract with Carnival. I assume the second house there, Rocky Shores, is also not used anymore.

So the new house is north, near the golf course?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Please give update Intel?look at for December[/Hey back from my cruise so here is my review- overall had a great time! There are a few different houses that they have. There were 3 carnival ships in port that day so they have at least 2 different houses that they use. The house was ok. There is a pool a men’s bathroom and a woman’s bathroom then there is a man made beach with just sand that overlooks the water along with chairs and hammocks. The only way to get in the ocean was from a ladder or to jump in... the water is about 9 feet deep when you get in so you have to wear a vest that keeps you afloat. Food was ok but didn’t eat too much as I have a bad stomach so I only had a few bites and as far as drinks I only had beer but they were pleantyful and you were able to have as many drinks as you want. Overall I enjoyed the excursion and would definitely do it again. Any other questions I would be happy to answer for you.

Please give update Intel?look at for December[/Hey back from my cruise so here is my review- overall had a great time! There are a few different houses that they have. There were 3 carnival ships in port that day so they have at least 2 different houses that they use. The house was ok. There is a pool a men’s bathroom and a woman’s bathroom then there is a man made beach with just sand that overlooks the water along with chairs and hammocks. The only way to get in the ocean was from a ladder or to jump in... the water is about 9 feet deep when you get in so you have to wear a vest that keeps you afloat. Food was ok but didn’t eat too much as I have a bad stomach so I only had a few bites and as far as drinks I only had beer but they were pleantyful and you were able to have as many drinks as you want. Overall I enjoyed the excursion and would definitely do it again. Any other questions I would be happy to answer for you.

Are they using a house to the north or the south if the piers now ( did you have to travel through town and was it far)?

I am trying to determine location, whether it is north up near Playa Azul or south, perhaps around Chankanaab?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I'm a bit confused.  There currently is no excursion called 'La Casa en La Playa' available for Cozumel.  We booked 'VIP La Casa Beach Retreat - Adults Only' for our cruise on the Vista in September.  Similar wording, so did they just make some changes to the old excursion and these are the same thing?  Based on past pictures that have been posted in this thread, it seems that either they changed 'casas' or they just went to a different one from the ones in the pictures on Carnival's site.  The reviews on Carnival's site make me think these are the same.

Does anyone have any more current reviews/feedback/pics for 'VIP La Casa Beach Retreat - Adults Only?'