? Re Princess’ Non-Refundabe Deposits

mlbcruiser

We are considering a Princess cruise that is well priced but has a significant nonrefundable deposit. Some other lines will allow you to put a non refundable deposit towards another cruise if you have to cancel, although you must use the credit for a cruise within a certain window of time. I’m getting the impression that this is not the case with Princess. ???

Non-refundable means just that. It does not mean transferrable.

Sorry.

There are a couple things you can do. One is to buy private insurance that will cover the cost of the deposit. Someone on the boards suggested buying just enough to cover the deposit, then increasing it later to cover the full cruise amount at the time of final payment. The other thing is to not buy cruises with non-refundable deposits. If everyone did that, Princess would change their policy.

At Princess non-refundable deposit means non-refundable. You will lose the deposit if you change your mind about the cruise. Luckily Princess only seems to have non-refundable deposits on a few cruise sales. I have run into it less than 5 time in all the time I have cruised on Princess. Almost all cruises have a refundable deposit.

If you are aboard a Princess cruise and think you might cruise again on Princess in the next two years, you can buy a future cruise deposit (FCD) for $100/pax. Most will need to buy two, one for each of the cruisers. After two years if not used, the money will be refunded. The big plus along with a much reduced cruise deposit is OBC up to $250/FCD depending on the length of the cruise.

I don’t know if things have changed recently, but about four or five years ago we had a non-refundable deposit on a cruise which we had to cancel. We booked a different cruise in its place during the same phone call, and our deposit was transferred to the new cruise. The representative told us ‘non refundable does not mean non transferable’. YMMV.

I don’t know if things have changed recently, but about four or five years ago we had a non-refundable deposit on a cruise which we had to cancel. We booked a different cruise in its place during the same phone call, and our deposit was transferred to the new cruise. The representative told us ‘non refundable does not mean non transferable’. YMMV.

We have done this cancelation of a non- refundable deposit and moving that same non- refundable deposit to another Princess cruise a couple of times.

Non- refundable does not mean non-transferable as stated . Just means that you will never get it back if you don’t re-book at time of the cancellation .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fine with me! I like The Royal Caribbean transfer policy. I did think of buying cancel for any reason insurance for just the deposit. However I think the insurance must be purchased for the entire cruise cost as I’ve seen mention of that when buying regular travel insurance. So if I wanted to cover just the deposit, in the end I am not sure if the insurance company would pay.

Thanks so much for the replies and info.