Royal IQ text/call cost

rtazz17

Hi,did a search and found a couple of different pricing quotes from people on the text/call feature on royal IQ.

It says on rccl site its 7.95 per device but Ive read another thread where the poster said it was 14 per device....What burns me a little is even if you have voom on 2 out of 3 devices you still have to buy it on all 3 for IQ to work.They should allow you on the Royal IQ app as part of surf and stream package.But because I only want my daughter to have the IQ text/call feature (for us to keep in touch) and not internet we must all purchase it.Seems rediculous but whatever...

Anyone who has been on Anthem or any ship with royal IQ text feature,could you confirm the cost?I assume it is 7.95.

....What burns me a little is even if you have voom on 2 out of 3 devices you still have to buy it on all 3 for IQ to work.

If you will have VOOM, why don't you just text each other via WiFi and don't even bother with the Royal IQ app? :confused:

If you will have VOOM, why don't you just text each other via WiFi and don't even bother with the Royal IQ app? :confused:

How do you text with wifi if you have VOOM...I am not that good at techy stuff. I also dont think I understand this Text/call thing either. I thought all my group had to do was pay the fee for everyone's phone so we could keep in touch...I didnt know they all had to purchase internet package each :eek:

HELP!!!!

How do you text with wifi if you have VOOM...I am not that good at techy stuff. I also dont think I understand this Text/call thing either. I thought all my group had to do was pay the fee for everyone's phone so we could keep in touch...I didnt know they all had to purchase internet package each :eek:

HELP!!!!

If you have the internet package, you can use an internet texting app, such as iMessage or WhatsApp.

Edited by clarea

How do you text with wifi if you have VOOM.

Try it at home right now. The easiest way is to see if your phone and carrier support built in WiFi calling/texting. Turn on that feature, put your phone into airplane mode and turn on WiFi only. Then text to try it out. If the phone or carrier doesn't support that feature, then get an app as suggested by Bob and do the same thing as above, put phone into airplane mode, turn on WiFi and use the app to text each other. This is what you will do on the ship - the only diff is that you will use the ship's WiFi instead of your home one.

HELP!!!!

You can use the Royal IQ app to communicate with your group, as long as each person buys that feature for $7.95 per device. You do not need to buy Voom for everyone if you are only looking to communicate on board.

• 1 year later...

i went on one cruise with 4 teenage kids and spent a good portion of my cruise looking for the kids.. they run around so much, that its hard to locate everyone.. would love to have something. to help. but at the same time.. I'm trying to have another family Vacation & I dont want the kids, ( or myself) to get caught up on our phones.. So Im personally deliberately avoiding having internet for all of us.

I see that there are walkie talkies that text.. anyone know anything about those? i also dont want to be annoying to fellow passengers, w loud devices.

i went on one cruise with 4 teenage kids and spent a good portion of my cruise looking for the kids.. they run around so much, that its hard to locate everyone.. would love to have something. to help. but at the same time.. I'm trying to have another family Vacation & I dont want the kids, ( or myself) to get caught up on our phones.. So Im personally deliberately avoiding having internet for all of us.

I see that there are walkie talkies that text.. anyone know anything about those? i also dont want to be annoying to fellow passengers, w loud devices.

We have had bad luck with walkie talkies. Once we get separated by a few decks, communication was poor to impossible.

We have had bad luck with walkie talkies. Once we get separated by a few decks, communication was poor to impossible.
Wich ones did you use? I heard some were better than others? I just found out the Ship I will be on ( Navigator of the Seas) does not offer this RQ app.. The price of the internet x 6 is outrageous! ( Even on sale) One thing I 've sailed usually w Carnival.. and their internet packages were actually affordable and they also have a system that allows you to communicate on board for a very reasonable price.. but now that i'm booked with RCC.. I 'm already finding myself nickeled and dimed to death.. and I have not even boarded! Edited by Dreamsofriveriamaya
add to sentence

Wich ones did you use? I heard some were better than others? I just found out the Ship I will be on ( Navigator of the Seas) does not offer this RQ app.. The price of the internet x 6 is outrageous! ( Even on sale) One thing I 've sailed usually w Carnival.. and their internet packages were actually affordable and they also have a system that allows you to communicate on board for a very reasonable price.. but now that i'm booked with RCC.. I 'm already finding myself nickeled and dimed to death.. and I have not even boarded!

I don't recall the model, but they were pretty nice Motorola GMRS models.

If you can live with just a few texts per day, you can use the Cellular at Sea (ship's cell tower) capability. Nothing to sign up for, cost is $0.50 per text for AT&T and Verizon (confirm if you have another carrier), charged by your cell carrier.

True, better to bite the bullet and get unlimited VOOM.

If I got the Voom package for my entire group that x 6!!! Any idea what that price would be!

that would pay for a whole cruise for another person! lol..

Maybe if I Keep a very strict rule of " only text for emergencies?? I do have 1 girl going who is crazy about keeping in touch w the Bf back home.. I have 1 internet package, & I told her she can borrow my lap top..

1 or 2 a day to send f/b messages.. But to get them all Wifi would be alot of $$$$

I don't recall the model, but they were pretty nice Motorola GMRS models.

If you can live with just a few texts per day, you can use the Cellular at Sea (ship's cell tower) capability. Nothing to sign up for, cost is $0.50 per text for AT&T and Verizon (confirm if you have another carrier), charged by your cell carrier.

I like that Idea the most Clara.. thank you!:* I think I will stick to the text idea.. ( providing our carrier has that option) if not I will Call around.. maybe buy some cheap phones..

But I will reinforce a strong rule.. about limitations.. ( not for conversation)

other wise.. $$$

But I will reinforce a strong rule.. about limitations.. ( not for conversation)

other wise.. $$$

Just realize that once enabled the phone will also get incoming calls/texts - as soon as they answer a call, that's $3. Every incoming text costs. You might be in for a rude awakening about a month after the cruise when you get the cell phone bill.

Airplane mode is your wallet's friend.