Alaska Cruise

Lgtravelor

Help requested.... We are first time cruisers (3 couples all in our early 60’s) interested in planning an Alaskan cruise in late May 2019 and are overwhelmed with all the options. Would appreciate thoughts on best cruise lines/ ships. Overwhelmed with where to begin. Considering southbound cruise vs round trip from Seattle as it seems one gets to see more of Alaska. Would like to spend a few days “on land” before boarding ship for cruise. Plan on own or book cruisetour? Interested in getting to experience as much as possible, but on a budget. Any thoughts to get us on the right direction would be appreciated

Help requested.... We are first time cruisers (3 couples all in our early 60’s) interested in planning an Alaskan cruise in late May 2019 and are overwhelmed with all the options. Would appreciate thoughts on best cruise lines/ ships. Overwhelmed with where to begin. Considering southbound cruise vs round trip from Seattle as it seems one gets to see more of Alaska. Would like to spend a few days “on land” before boarding ship for cruise. Plan on own or book cruisetour? Interested in getting to experience as much as possible, but on a budget. Any thoughts to get us on the right direction would be appreciated

We are in your age bracket and have been three times. I recommend spending as much time as you can in AK, especially Denali, and in the Kenai. If you can afford it I suggest either Silversea or Regent as a cruise line. Small ships and one way Seward to Vancouver. If you spend time on land the train is very scenic. I will monitor this thread if you have more questions or want detailed suggestions.

BTW people who haven't been further north love Glacier Bay, but there are some glacier tours out of Seward and Whittier that are much nicer and get you much closer than in Glacier Bay. In exchange for Glacier Bay you get Hubbard Glacier, but if you take the 21Glaciers tour out of Whitter as a day trip you see more.

FYI, if you do a cruise at the end of May and do the land tour first, be aware that you probably won't be able to get that far into Denali National Park. The buses that go farther usually don't start until after June 1st.
Yes, if starting in late May fits your schedule best, then a North bound so that you are in Denali in early June would be better.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app