Noordam and Westerdam 2018 Alaska

cccole

I am looking at August cruises in Alaska and see the Noordam and Westerdam both do one ways from Anchorage (Seward) to Vancouver. Should I assume that these ships are very similar? The itineraries are identical. If ships are similar it comes down to cabins that are available. And, it appears that getting from Anchorage to Seward is an easy bus ride, is this true? Thank you for any comments. Cherie

We are doing the southbound inside passage on Noordam in July. We’re taking a train from Anchorage to Seward as recommended by travel agent. It looks like a nice way to get to port. Hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have quite a few sailing days on both ships. We have sailed on the Westerdam in Alaska.

I know you said that the itineraries are identical, but have you checked how long you are in port for each ship?

Now -- I like the idea that the Noordam SHOULD still have a dedicated Library on the Promenade Deck. The library on the Westerdam which was in the Crow's Nest is gone.

JMO -- I would select the Noordam.

Thank you for the responses. I did NOT check the time in each port, just looked at the port itinerary, so will check times. Time in port can be important when planning an excursion. From what I have read the time on the train to Seward is possibly 4 hours longer than the bus, but if beautiful it could be worth it. I will do some additional research. Thank you all for the guidance in my research. Cherie

Thank you for the responses. I did NOT check the time in each port, just looked at the port itinerary, so will check times. Time in port can be important when planning an excursion. From what I have read the time on the train to Seward is possibly 4 hours longer than the bus, but if beautiful it could be worth it. I will do some additional research. Thank you all for the guidance in my research. Cherie

I’m fairly certain that the bus was 4 hours and the train is 5 1/2. Port times were fairly long, but absolutely check out and compare. Happy planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it matters, Westerdam was refurbished a little while back. Noordam was supposed to be refurbed in April/May 2018 but it was cancelled. I am on Noordam in June 2018. Picked it because it was supposed be right after the dry dock (was supposed to get the new suites, we are in a suite). We re-fared to a non-refundable fare, so we will make do. :)

The aft verandas, especially the wrap arounds, are my favorites so I will check the Westerdam first for available afts. There was a review yesterday which reports that the Westerdam dry dock was a huge success. Thank you for all the helpful responses. Cherie

We were on the Noordam for the first time July 2017 on a SB Seward to Vancouver (We live in Anchorage). While some public spaces had newer carpets and were in generally great condition (they were actively recarpeting stairs during the night in several stair wells), the cabins are sorely in need of refurbishment and updating. We were a group of 10 people in 5 different cabins ranging from insides, outsides and a Neptune Suite. Would be a big disappointment if she doesn't get her drydock and suite overhauls this Spring prior to the AK season.

We've been on the Westerdam a couple times (prior to her most recent refurb) so I've only seen pictures of her updates, but the ships had a few notable difference before the refit, now there are even more.

If it's true that Noordam isn't getting her refurb this spring AND If cabin updates are important to you then definitely go for the Westerdam. Otherwise we enjoyed the Noordam so if it's more of an availability or pricing issue take what you feel is the better deal.

I will say, after taking a Seward to Vancouver SB run for the first time (vs our usual Vancouver to Seward NB) we much prefer to start out in Vancouver. NB usually ports in Skagway, where the SB goes into Haines. Haines is a nice change of pace if you've been into Skagway several times before, but if not, more of the tours run out of Skagway than Haines.

Bus ride into/out of Anchorage is approx 2 1/2 hours while the train ride is approx 4.

. Would be a big disappointment if she doesn't get her dry dock and suite overhauls this Spring prior to the AK season.

Two RT Vancouver cruises were scheduled for the time the dry dock was supposed to happen. so unless they cancel them, there will be no dry dock in the spring.

I have sailed on both ships and was very comfortable on each. I dearly love the Noordam though, and it is my favorite ship. The Noordam may be a bit newer than the Westerdam, but I'm not completely sure. I'm sure someone will tell us. Whichever ship you choose, you should have a wonderful time.

Damshipcruiser - The reason we want to do the south bound cruise is because we want to spend time on the Washington and Oregon coasts after the cruise. Thank you for the heads up on a major difference between north and south bound cruises. Since you are in Anchorage possibly you can help me with this...since Glacier Bay is so wonderful we have been thinking of staying at the Glacier Bay Lodge 2-3 nights prior to the cruise. Do you know the best way to get from Anchorage to Gustavus? It does not look easy.

Thanks again to all who have replied re the ships and the itinerary. All very helpful. Cherie

Thank you Straitlover, you have provided lots of good info on this thread. I was excited about the ferry but it takes days to make the trip. The Alaska Airlines flights through Juneau seem to be the best bet. Thanks for all your help. Cherie