Only in Victoria BC from 7-midnight

dvond

Going the 2nd week of August, is there anything worth getting off for that late at night and not that far?

Thanks!

I had the same port hours last year as you will have on your upcoming cruise. I took the ship excursion to Butchart Gardens and it was the most impressive excursion of the cruise.

You could choose to go to downtown Victoria, walkable from the cruise port. You will find more information on the Victoria port of call board.

Whenever my next Alaska cruise is, I plan on spending at least a day or two in Victoria (pre or post) to explore this city.

Victoria is a beautiful city, the capital of British Columbia. The Inner Harbor area is so photogenic ....lots of hanging baskets, the Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldgs, totems, gardens, buskers, and the harbor is busy with boats, ferries, and float planes.

The pier is at Ogden Point and you can walk to the harbor in about 20-30 minutes, or take a shuttle or cab. If you walk, Fishermans Wharf is about halfway.... a fun place with floating homes, restaurants, shops, and usually seals playing nearby. You can also pick up the little putt-putt ferry there and it will take you into the harbor.

Mitch2016 is currently posting a trip report and the 1st day was Victoria...look at that report for great photos of victoria , wharf, and Butchart Gardens.

I had the same port hours last year as you will have on your upcoming cruise. I took the ship excursion to Butchart Gardens and it was the most impressive excursion of the cruise.

You could choose to go to downtown Victoria, walkable from the cruise port. You will find more information on the Victoria port of call board.

Whenever my next Alaska cruise is, I plan on spending at least a day or two in Victoria (pre or post) to explore this city.

So glad to read your post! I was concerned about visiting Butchart Gardens for a just a few hours at night, but went ahead and booked it for our upcoming cruise. Our cruise is coming up in a couple of weeks. I realize it depends what month you cruised, but were you able to see the Gardens at all before it got dark?

So glad to read your post! I was concerned about visiting Butchart Gardens for a just a few hours at night, but went ahead and booked it for our upcoming cruise. Our cruise is coming up in a couple of weeks. I realize it depends what month you cruised, but were you able to see the Gardens at all before it got dark?

The attached sunrise/sunset calendar should help.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Victoria%2C%20British%20Columbia%2C%20Canada;123.3656;48.4286;-8;1&month=8&year=2017&time_type=0&back=Canada&want_twi_civ=1&want_mphase=1&wadj=1

Depending which night you're in Victoria, you may also be able to visit the excellent Royal BC Museum - they open late through high season on Friday & Saturday evenings.

Unfortunately other than bars/restos and a few touristy shops downtown, Victoria in the evenings is not exactly a hotbed of activity. It's certainly pretty, and nice to wander about downtown in if you can't stomach the ridiculously overpriced cruiseline Butchart excursions, but there are very few attractions other than the Royal BC that extend their hours past 5 or 6pm.

For me the best use of these PVSA-compliance stops is to sample some British style beers, served at the appropriate temperature unlike 99.9% of North American bars (both Swans and Spinnaker brewpubs have a second cellar that keeps beer in the 8-10 Celsius range that maximises flavour).

I was there mid-late July 2016. The bus ride was at least 30 minutes, I am guessing we arrived at the Gardens about 8 maybe a little earlier. It was bright sunlight upon arrival and the Gardens looked beautiful, so well landscaped, clean, so pleasing to see all the colors and varieties of flowers and the planting combinations. Was able to see all the garden but not at the pace I wanted to view. It was very crowded and I knew sundown was approaching. The flowers have lights, so you can still enjoy without sunlight but photos are better in sunlight.

One tip I was told at guest services...when walking the paths always go left when there is a choice. I followed their advice, otherwise I am sure I would have been overwhelmed by the beauty and would have struggled deciding which was to go.:)

Fireworks were included in the excursion but the bus driver instructed us to be on the bus prior to their ending. I did feel we were cheated because of that but

it was still an amazing experience.

Enjoy the views of downtown Victoria when your tour drives through it both going and returning from Butchart Gardens.

If by chance you see a whale watching excursion offered, skip it. The whales are great but the timing is terrible. You won't see a lot and your photos won't turn out well - we're SERIOUS amateur photographers and our photos were garbage, even after switching to lenses that don't "zoom in" as much but let in more light. I think we got cheated out of 30 minutes of our excursion time but there was no sense staying out there any longer.

If by chance you see a whale watching excursion offered, skip it. The whales are great but the timing is terrible. You won't see a lot and your photos won't turn out well - we're SERIOUS amateur photographers and our photos were garbage, even after switching to lenses that don't "zoom in" as much but let in more light. I think we got cheated out of 30 minutes of our excursion time but there was no sense staying out there any longer.

Thanks, we are doing our whale watching in Juneau

I think we are on the same sailing - 8/13. We are doing whale watching as well as Mendenhall Glacier.

We just will probably be walking to Fishermans Wharf while in Victoria.

Thank you! It looks like twilight is at around 9:30. The Ruby is scheduled to dock at 7. Hopefully the scenic bus tour will get us to the gardens to enjoy some daylight.

I was there mid-late July 2016. The bus ride was at least 30 minutes, I am guessing we arrived at the Gardens about 8 maybe a little earlier. It was bright sunlight upon arrival and the Gardens looked beautiful, so well landscaped, clean, so pleasing to see all the colors and varieties of flowers and the planting combinations. Was able to see all the garden but not at the pace I wanted to view. It was very crowded and I knew sundown was approaching. The flowers have lights, so you can still enjoy without sunlight but photos are better in sunlight.

One tip I was told at guest services...when walking the paths always go left when there is a choice. I followed their advice, otherwise I am sure I would have been overwhelmed by the beauty and would have struggled deciding which was to go.:)

Fireworks were included in the excursion but the bus driver instructed us to be on the bus prior to their ending. I did feel we were cheated because of that but

it was still an amazing experience.

Enjoy the views of downtown Victoria when your tour drives through it both going and returning from Butchart Gardens.

I really appreciate all of this detailed information. I'll try to remember to "go left", but will probably be one of those who are overwhelmed!

Maybe you were there on a Saturday night as I believe those are the fireworks nights.

Yes, I will enjoy the views going and coming, as I know it's important to stop and "smell the flowers" even before you get to the gardens! ;)

Months ago I searched the boards, and there were a few people who said they thought the scheduled time was much too short to try to see the Gardens, but I signed up anyway. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

I think we are on the same sailing - 8/13. We are doing whale watching as well as Mendenhall Glacier.

We just will probably be walking to Fishermans Wharf while in Victoria.

\

Same 2 hours whale watching then off to the Glacier, found an affordable highly rated excursion

But yes looks like maybe a play it by ear walk into town in BC

My wife is addicted to whale watches, so we'd already done one in Juneau but we did this one also, and it was beyond pale in comparison.

We took a $10 round trip double decker bus from the port to downtown. There was street performers on the waterfront that are fun to watch. Other than that we just shopped and enjoyed the sites. Very pretty stop even if it is short.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone!.... We are not flower or garden people so I guess if we get off, we will walk around downtown

Sounds perfect. That's what we would do, too. (Do not take the shuttle bus - it is highly overpriced and the downtown core is easily walkable for someone in reasonable shape.) Please do get off the ship, even if to get a picture of your ship from the pier. But I have a feeling once you start walking, you'll realize what a magnificent city Victoria is.

Be sure to go to Rogers Chocolates on Government Street - their Victoria Creams are heavenly! We can get them in other independent stores, but there is something wonderful about going to the actual store. :)

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/