Golden Princess in Sydney 15/10

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:34 PM.
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by cheznandy
No Les, we were not in that cabin!! I was referring to the Aft cabin they will have after this cruise.
They know about Yorkeys Knob, they were referring to the "Princess Cruises Itinerary" she had posted from the Princess site, it says Cairns.
And I get the table for two......we request that also, we only have dinner with others if we know them and arrange it
Having meals with loads of strangers isnt high on our list on a cruise either!!
Thanks Chez, now I know !! Re tables for two, each to their own, but we always get a table for 6 or 8 at MDR traditional dining and share tables at breakfast and lunch in Buffet or MDR, you see I am a big conversationalist and besides we have a table for 2 at home every day !! No way my better half would want a table for 2 anyway, she asks for a table of 10, but I wear her down to table of 6 or 8.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Darwin, Australia
36 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Yes!! I'm loving the blogs from this couple. I'm sure their cabin is a couple down from ours (we are on the next cruise to Tassy), I got worried about the noise from above the theatre but remembered there's not much chance we will be sleeping while shows are on we are usually up late. We also watched her leave Sydney on Sunday from the live webcam and I've been watching her movements on marine traffic since she was over in New Zealand.
I can't wait to board in 7 days!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
The Bloggers reported on Brisvegas yesterday, raining Koalas. And a bit of a bumpy night on the ocean, all part of the adventure.

Looking at bridgecam just now, bit of a swell and rock and roll happening as they head north. Should be a few empty chairs in the Horizon Court for lunch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
18,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by NSWP
The Bloggers reported on Brisvegas yesterday, raining Koalas. And a bit of a bumpy night on the ocean, all part of the adventure.

Looking at bridgecam just now, bit of a swell and rock and roll happening as they head north. Should be a few empty chairs in the Horizon Court for lunch.
Had to smile that the taxi driver did not know the way back to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Kiwi Kruzer
Had to smile that the taxi driver did not know the way back to the ship.
Not unusual in some of the Australian Capital Cities these days David. Whatever happened to the 'area knowledge test?'

Probably the same in Auckland or Wellington ? New arrivals from overseas, can't get a job, although they may be highly qualified in the country they came from, so go driving taxis or Ubers.

I got into an Uber last year in Sydney, the driver was an Iranian Doctor of Medicine who could not practice here without a lot more study and examinations, all of which cost money, hence the Uber job and they are not highly paid.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
No doubt the Golden Princess crew will be alert as to any signs of the 6 trawlermen missing off the Qld coast, after their fishing boat overturned in heavy swells. Tragic incident.

How lucky was the bloke picked up yesterday morning by a passing boat?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gold Coast
10,201 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thought the Golden Princess would have had a rough ride when I saw all the whitecaps on the waves as I landed in Brisbane. There was thick cloud cover all the way from Sydney to Brisbane.

Looking forward to reading the blog.

Sad about the missing trawler crew at sea. The extreme weather conditions are making the search difficult. How lucky was the single sailor who treaded water once the boat went down, until he was picked up by a passing boat!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Just read their blog on the sea day yesterday, they had strong winds and a rough seas, the duct emerged to seal the cabin draws etc. As long as the bottles in the mini bar did not break. So the MTP (most travelled passenger luncheon) is now the MTG (most travelled guest luncheon.) Means the same, top 40 cruisers get invited. We have made it once, but a rough chance next year perhaps on Sapphire or Royal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Wauchope NSW
4,580 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Just read their blog on the sea day yesterday, they had strong winds and a rough seas, the duct emerged to seal the cabin draws etc. As long as the bottles in the mini bar did not break. So the MTP (most travelled passenger luncheon) is now the MTG (most travelled guest luncheon.) Means the same, top 40 cruisers get invited. We have made it once, but a rough chance next year perhaps on Sapphire or Royal.
Hopefully the weather clears for them Les.
The MTG Luncheons and the appearances at the Captains Circle party would be a novelty at first but I would think that after attending lots on B2b2b's......it would become annoying, for me anyway. Not that we have that to worry about
I am happy with my few Elite perks and remain annonymous.
Our Golden cruise in September the MTG had about 750 days!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern Star x 1
Fairstar x 2
Pacific Sky x 1
Pacific Sun x 4
Pacific Dawn x 3
Fair Princess x 1
Dawn Princess x 4
Diamond Princess x 3
Sapphire Princess x 2
Emerald Princess x 1
Arcadia x 1
Queen Mary 2 x 1
Solstice x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 1
Explorer of the Seas x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 1
Carmival Spirit x 1
Gold Coast
10,201 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Good old duct tape comes in handy!

Doesn't really meant the same. "Guest" in lieu of "passenger". Who thinks up these crazy name changes? You can be a guest anywhere, including my house, but you can't be a passenger unless you are on a ship/flight. My dream is to be a passenger, preferably long haul.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hopefully the weather clears for them Les.
The MTG Luncheons and the appearances at the Captains Circle party would be a novelty at first but I would think that after attending lots on B2b2b's......it would become annoying, for me anyway. Not that we have that to worry about
I am happy with my few Elite perks and remain annonymous.
Our Golden cruise in September the MTG had about 750 days!!!
Some pax love the glory Chez. The MTG luncheon is nice actually, provided one is seated next to a decent senior staff member, but as for the Captains Circle Cocktail party, don't even bother turning up anymore, watching all those poor people fighting for a watered down drink and trying to grab a savoury left from the last party.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Good old duct tape comes in handy!

.it doesn't really meant the same. "Guest" in lieu of "passenger". Who thinks up these crazy name changes? You can be a guest anywhere, including my house, but you can't be a passenger unless you are on a ship/flight. My dream is to be a passenger, preferably long haul.
Maid Marion...It does not matter whether they call them, passenger - pax, customer, guest or whatever, as long as they all...'Escape Completely & Come Back New.'
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

The Stateroom Under The Stairs
393 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
And I get the table for two......we request that also, we only have dinner with others if we know them and arrange it
Having meals with loads of strangers isnt high on our list on a cruise either!!
We feel so privileged to be considered as 'meal worthy' .......... besides us wee Elfs took up hardly any room at your table to notice anyway!!

now members of the 'cheznandy cool croozers club'
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you want me I shall be in my stateroom, or the bar, or the pool, or the pool with the bar, or the stateroom with bar and pool in it but definitely somewhere on board a ship!

Previously:

Castel Felice - Sitmar Line 1969
TSS Fairstar - The Fun Ship - 1985
Sea Princess - 2013
Dawn Princess - 2015

Wauchope NSW
4,580 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Some pax love the glory Chez. The MTG luncheon is nice actually, provided one is seated next to a decent senior staff member, but as for the Captains Circle Cocktail party, don't even bother turning up anymore, watching all those poor people fighting for a watered down drink and trying to grab a savoury left from the last party.
I was really surprised at the Captains party on the Golden recently, we were undecided whether to go, but as Andy had thrown the suit in
The drinks were very strong, a few different cocktails, wines, beer, they even had platters of hot food being handed around, plus our two lovely waiters from Skywalkers were looking after us, they had our drinks lined up!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern Star x 1
Fairstar x 2
Pacific Sky x 1
Pacific Sun x 4
Pacific Dawn x 3
Fair Princess x 1
Dawn Princess x 4
Diamond Princess x 3
Sapphire Princess x 2
Emerald Princess x 1
Arcadia x 1
Queen Mary 2 x 1
Solstice x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 1
Explorer of the Seas x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 1
Carmival Spirit x 1
Gold Coast
10,201 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I was really surprised at the Captains party on the Golden recently, we were undecided whether to go, but as Andy had thrown the suit in
The drinks were very strong, a few different cocktails, wines, beer, they even had platters of hot food being handed around, plus our two lovely waiters from Skywalkers were looking after us, they had our drinks lined up!!
NICE! Maybe customer service is making a comeback!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
10,201 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Maid Marion...It does not matter whether they call them, passenger - pax, customer, guest or whatever, as long as they all...'Escape Completely & Come Back New.'
Just curious why they think "guest" is better than "passenger".

Of course, it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
18,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Just curious why they think "guest" is better than "passenger".

Of course, it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.
Perhaps because they are hosting the passenger...therefore the passenger is their guest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Wauchope NSW
4,580 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf
We feel so privileged to be considered as 'meal worthy' .......... besides us wee Elfs took up hardly any room at your table to notice anyway!!

Too funny Dobby We did have dinner with a lovely couple that we met on the Golden from Bonnie Doon.......but not in the naughty corner, the Golden didnt have one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern Star x 1
Fairstar x 2
Pacific Sky x 1
Pacific Sun x 4
Pacific Dawn x 3
Fair Princess x 1
Dawn Princess x 4
Diamond Princess x 3
Sapphire Princess x 2
Emerald Princess x 1
Arcadia x 1
Queen Mary 2 x 1
Solstice x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 1
Explorer of the Seas x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 1
Carmival Spirit x 1
Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf

Are you Royalty then, you little Elfs ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
10,117 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Kiwi Kruzer
Perhaps because they are hosting the passenger...therefore the passenger is their guest.
Like a cabin is a stateroom, silly term, who invented that, I know don't tell me, from across the Pacific. A place where you sleep on a ship is a cabin. Stateroom to me is like where the HM The Queen resides at Buckingham Palace.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature