Train from Venice to Termini after cruise

lifeasme123

I am not sure if this should be under MSC Cruises or Italy board. Please let me know if I need to move it.

We are booked on MSC Musica next May 2018. The ship docks at 9AM on Sunday. We will catch the train from Venice to Termini Roma.

The available times are: 10:25, 11:25, 11:35 and 12:25. I have no idea what custom or disembarkation is like in Venice. Just wondering if I would be ok to book the 10:25 time.

Also, the train in Venice is St Lucia, correct?

I am not sure if this should be under MSC Cruises or Italy board. Please let me know if I need to move it.

We are booked on MSC Musica next May 2018. The ship docks at 9AM on Sunday. We will catch the train from Venice to Termini Roma.

The available times are: 10:25, 11:25, 11:35 and 12:25. I have no idea what custom or disembarkation is like in Venice. Just wondering if I would be ok to book the 10:25 time.

Also, the train in Venice is St Lucia, correct?

I would say that was a very tight time line as they have just banned vessels greater than 55,000 tonnes from using the cruise port and the new arrangements are further away from the station.. I believe . which is indeed St Lucia

i'd try for the 11.25 or 11.35 trains to be sure that you get one ,

it might be a good idea to prebook a taxi to take you there.

Pete

I would also recommend going for the 11.25 or 11.35 train, in combination with talking with the guest service desk on the ship to make sure you get an early disembarkation time. I got off the MSC Armonia in Venice last Friday. We had a disembarkation time of 10.20, but ended up not getting off until 11.10 due to delays. It is at least a 20 minutes walk from the ship to the train station and it includes stairs.

I would say that was a very tight time line as they have just banned vessels greater than 55,000 tonnes from using the cruise port and the new arrangements are further away from the station.. I believe . which is indeed St Lucia

i'd try for the 11.25 or 11.35 trains to be sure that you get one ,

it might be a good idea to prebook a taxi to take you there.

Pete

They have not banned the big ships, yet! This has been a long running soap opera with several previous false alarms. I do think it will finally happen (they should have banned the big ships years ago) but I would not bet on it happening by the projected 2020 implementation date.

Hank

I'm confused. Will we depart and arrive from Marittima, near Piazzale Roma? We booked our overnight lodging near there for easy walking to the People Mover.

Also, there are other train times...I just listed ones before noon. I was not sure how long it takes to disembark. When we were on the Meravigilia this past June, the disembarkation was fast and simple. Not sure what it is like for Venice.

Bottom line - I am trying to find a time where we do not have to sit very long at the train station waiting for our train.

TIA!

Disembarkation in Venice is not much different then other places. But keep in mind that it can be quite a hike between a pier and the People Mover (especially if you are dragging your own luggage). Docking position can make a big difference in the distance to be walked. Some times there is a convenient shuttle bus...and other times there is no bus. And if walking from the People Mover station in the P. Roma to the train station, its another several block (distance) walk to get across the P. Roma and over to the Pedestrian Bridge (which has very wide steps) and then from the bridge to the train station. The walk is not a problem if you are mobile (and like to walk) and are not dragging too much luggage. But it does add to the needed time.

Hank

I'm confused. Will we depart and arrive from Marittima, near Piazzale Roma? We booked our overnight lodging near there for easy walking to the People Mover.

Also, there are other train times...I just listed ones before noon. I was not sure how long it takes to disembark. When we were on the Meravigilia this past June, the disembarkation was fast and simple. Not sure what it is like for Venice.

Bottom line - I am trying to find a time where we do not have to sit very long at the train station waiting for our train.

TIA!

Your arrival time you say is 09:00, which means that it will take 20 - 30 minutes for the ship to clear the ports authorities, and offload the luggage.

MSC use a group by colour system of disembarkation. there are often 12 - 14 groups at approximately 5 minute intervals

First off are large parties with early onward transport booked through MSC

Next come Yacht Club guests then

They start to go by deck usually the lower decks before the upper decks

you will be advised of your colour, and given luggage tags of that colour on the last night.

So you may well need 30 - 40 minutes until your colour is called

this puts the time possible time of your of disembarkation at 9:45 - 10:00

Then you have to disembark and locate your baggage 5 - 10 minutes

Next get a taxi or go to the people mover , queue to get a ticket and then queue to get on 10 - 20 minutes

travel to the end of the line and walk to the station

10 - 15 minutes So it could be 10:35 by the time you get there.

Pete

I would also recommend going for the 11.25 or 11.35 train, in combination with talking with the guest service desk on the ship to make sure you get an early disembarkation time. I got off the MSC Armonia in Venice last Friday. We had a disembarkation time of 10.20, but ended up not getting off until 11.10 due to delays. It is at least a 20 minutes walk from the ship to the train station and it includes stairs.

Thank you very helpful!!!

What time did your ship dock?

Your arrival time you say is 09:00, which means that it will take 20 - 30 minutes for the ship to clear the ports authorities, and offload the luggage.

MSC use a group by colour system of disembarkation. there are often 12 - 14 groups at approximately 5 minute intervals

First off are large parties with early onward transport booked through MSC

Next come Yacht Club guests then

They start to go by deck usually the lower decks before the upper decks

you will be advised of your colour, and given luggage tags of that colour on the last night.

So you may well need 30 - 40 minutes until your colour is called

this puts the time possible time of your of disembarkation at 9:45 - 10:00

Then you have to disembark and locate your baggage 5 - 10 minutes

Next get a taxi or go to the people mover , queue to get a ticket and then queue to get on 10 - 20 minutes

travel to the end of the line and walk to the station

10 - 15 minutes So it could be 10:35 by the time you get there.

Pete

Thank you! I think I will book 1130 or 1230....that should give us plenty of time and not rush to get off the ship.

• 3 months later...

I found out Italo train has a time at 1100. The price is 1/2 of the Trenitalia train at 1135, and it is in the prima class vs super economy on Trenitalia.

No one in our group has mobility concerns. We each will have one luggage a piece to take (with wheel spinners).

Questions:

1. Would 1100 be doable if the ship's disembark time is 0900 in Venice? Or should I stick with the 1135?
  2. SkierPete you mentioned prebook a taxi. Who should I expect to pay (so I know if they a gouging me when I ask for a quote)?
  3. Can I purchase the people mover early? I am wondering when I purchase the outbound tickets, can I go ahead and purchase the return ticket at the same time?

Thanks!

I found out Italo train has a time at 1100. The price is 1/2 of the Trenitalia train at 1135, and it is in the prima class vs super economy on Trenitalia.

No one in our group has mobility concerns. We each will have one luggage a piece to take (with wheel spinners).

Questions:

1. Would 1100 be doable if the ship's disembark time is 0900 in Venice? Or should I stick with the 1135?
  2. SkierPete you mentioned prebook a taxi. Who should I expect to pay (so I know if they a gouging me when I ask for a quote)?
  3. Can I purchase the people mover early? I am wondering when I purchase the outbound tickets, can I go ahead and purchase the return ticket at the same time?

Thanks!

I think it could be doable but with a risk of getting caught out

I would expect it to be fine if you pre-book a taxi

this is the price, today, from this web site

don't know about pre paying a people mover ticket

here is a link to a taxi booking site

https://www.radiotaxivenezia.com/en/fares.php

and the price today

vdeice%20taxi.jpg

Pete

I think it could be doable but with a risk of getting caught out

I would expect it to be fine if you pre-book a taxi

this is the price, today, from this web site

don't know about pre paying a people mover ticket

here is a link to a taxi booking site

https://www.radiotaxivenezia.com/en/fares.php

and the price today

vdeice%20taxi.jpg

Pete

Perfect thank you! Will there be taxis when we disembark? Or are taxis only there if they are prebooked?

When we arrived in Venice a couple of years ago, we could not debark at the planned time because of fog. We had almost two hours delay. If I were you I would rather book a train around 11.30 the earliest.

ivi

Thanks Ivi. What month were you in Venice? We will disembark on June 3. Is fog common in Venice in early June?

Thanks everyone! I read on another thread about Mestre train station. I bought seats on Italo from mestre to Termini for 19e in Prima class. I will pre-book a shuttle (per skierpete's advice) to go from the cruise port to Mestre.

Is the cruise port where MSC dock called Maritime?

Thanks again!