Evening drink

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:48 PM.
22 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Hi,
We are going on our first Viking cruise next May from Greece taking in the Dalmatian coast and ending in Venice. We are very excited about it.
We've read that they don't mind you bringing a bottle of something for the cabin so we may get some at Gin duty free.
My question is what are the bar prices like? My hubby is partial to the odd Grey Goose and coke or a top notch brandy. Are they reasonable?
New Hampshire
563 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Very reasonable.
Grey Goose under $10
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June 2018
Viking Forseti Chateaus & Bordeaux September 2017
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Photos of the 2016 bar menu are included in the pictures I posted on Shutterfly. Here is a link to them. Scroll down to the second album called "Paperwork" to see them. You don't have to be a S'fly member in order to view them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
South Australia
8,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Peregrina651
Photos of the 2016 bar menu are included in the pictures I posted on Shutterfly. Here is a link to them. Scroll down to the second album called "Paperwork" to see them. You don't have to be a S'fly member in order to view them.

Thanks for that link. Have sent it to SIL who is doing this cruise next year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 2013, 2014, 2017
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Celebrity Equinox 2014 and 2015
Diamond Princess December 2016
Celebrity Silhouette July 2017
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Pushka
Thanks for that link. Have sent it to SIL who is doing this cruise next year.
LOL. So is my brother. We loved it. But, the 2018 itinerary is different from the one we did in 2016.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
166 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by G. GIRL
Hi,

We are going on our first Viking cruise next May from Greece taking in the Dalmatian coast and ending in Venice. We are very excited about it.

We've read that they don't mind you bringing a bottle of something for the cabin so we may get some at Gin duty free.

My question is what are the bar prices like? My hubby is partial to the odd Grey Goose and coke or a top notch brandy. Are they reasonable?

We did your cruise from Istanbul and it was just beautiful . We did our cruise on or about the same time of year in 2016 . All the ports where Great . I started to say that Santorini and Venice where my favorite, but then I remembered Dubrovnik and Paula and Now I have to say "They are All Wonderful " . You can go and get your bottle of gin , I have a passion for Grey Goose and tonic - at 7.00 a drink I didn't even think of temping my taste buds more than buying it from the Very Friendly Bar Staff on the Viking Sea. We hope you have a Great Cruise - Viking will treat you right!
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Eaches
Viking will treat you right!
Ain't that the truth!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
South Australia
8,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
LOL. So is my brother. We loved it. But, the 2018 itinerary is different from the one we did in 2016.

From memory they go South from London into the Channel and not north until they venture east. And then north.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
From memory they go South from London into the Channel and not north until they venture east. And then north.
Pushka, if you were looking at my photos, then you were looking at the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary, which does Scotland and Norway and doesn't get near the English Channel. Which itinerary is your SIL doing?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
South Australia
8,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Pushka, if you were looking at my photos, then you were looking at the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary, which does Scotland and Norway and doesn't get near the English Channel. Which itinerary is your SIL doing?

I'm not sure of exact dates - June or July but it's called Into the Midnight Sun. Or very similar. Ends in Bergen I think and starts in London at Greenwich.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
22 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thanks for your replies.
We are old hands at Santorini having had two amazing stays in a cliff side cave house in Oia. We hired a private tour guide who took us all over the island. So we are actually planning an on board day when we dock at Santorini to enjoy the ship.
Nottingham, MD
139 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Thanks for your replies.
We are old hands at Santorini having had two amazing stays in a cliff side cave house in Oia. We hired a private tour guide who took us all over the island. So we are actually planning an on board day when we dock at Santorini to enjoy the ship.
I certainly can't argue against enjoying the ship, but if you are early enough in May, you may want to reconsider. When we were there on your same itinerary (a fabulous trip, by the way) in April this year, the Star was the only ship in port. We had the island more or less to ourselves. That was a very special experience.
22 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I know what you mean by Santorini being a special experience, we had two weeks at the Ikies Traditional Houses. Our terrace was chiselled out of the cliff and had panoramic views of the Caldera. Every evening when all the tourists would flock to a viewing point at the end of the village to see the sunset we would be sat with cocktail on our terrace having the full view.
At the moment the only thing that would entice us off the ship is the Santorini tomato fritters, you can't get them anywhere else and they are delicious!
London
1,934 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I will be in Santorini in a few weeks. Have been there many times but have not tried the tomato fritters. Will try to this time, they sound delicious
22 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Hi,
The last time we were there we set upon the ' Tomato Ball Challenge ' as they are also referred to. We ate them in about 7 restaurants and at that time a restaurant in Oia called Thalmi ( I think that's the spelling) won. But an out of the way restaurant and not very sprctacular looking near the bus station called pizza Edwin did their version that had a bit of chilli in it and they were great.
Our favourite restaurant is just outside the village called Animomolis and is a no frills taverna but the Mammas do the cooking and they knock the socks off the hyped up restaurants in the town. I had the worst dining experience of my life for my 50th in what was supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Oia.
We will return as Oia is just so beautiful but then again we did do it in a top grade hotel which made it even more special.
92 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Hi,
The last time we were there we set upon the ' Tomato Ball Challenge ' as they are also referred to. We ate them in about 7 restaurants and at that time a restaurant in Oia called Thalmi ( I think that's the spelling) won. But an out of the way restaurant and not very sprctacular looking near the bus station called pizza Edwin did their version that had a bit of chilli in it and they were great.
Our favourite restaurant is just outside the village called Animomolis and is a no frills taverna but the Mammas do the cooking and they knock the socks off the hyped up restaurants in the town. I had the worst dining experience of my life for my 50th in what was supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Oia.
We will return as Oia is just so beautiful but then again we did do it in a top grade hotel which made it even more special.
Hi GGirl, We'll be staying in Santorini after our cruise in 3 weeks. We'll be staying in Imervoglia (spelling). Can you recommend any other restaurants? Thanks, Pat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nottingham, MD
139 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
At the moment the only thing that would entice us off the ship is the Santorini tomato fritters, you can't get them anywhere else and they are delicious!
Wish we had known that back in April! I don't know if we will ever make it back there, so I am afraid we have missed our chance.
P.S. Now you have me inspired - I have found some recipes for Domatokeftedes on pinterest. Maybe I will give it a try before the last of the Maryland tomatoes are gone for the year!
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
I'm not sure of exact dates - June or July but it's called Into the Midnight Sun. Or very similar. Ends in Bergen I think and starts in London at Greenwich.
Okay. Same cruise. If you have shared my photos with her, please warn her that the itinerary has changed since I did it in 2016. Alesund, Bronnoysund and Bodo are OUT and Lofoten and Molde are IN. Plus the ship docks in Greenwich on the Thames and not in Harwich (which was a two hour drive from the airport).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
South Australia
8,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Okay. Same cruise. If you have shared my photos with her, please warn her that the itinerary has changed since I did it in 2016. Alesund, Bronnoysund and Bodo are OUT and Lofoten and Molde are IN. Plus the ship docks in Greenwich on the Thames and not in Harwich (which was a two hour drive from the airport).

Yep. And she's already shared it along with someone else. She's looking forward to Greenwich departure and the Naval history.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
22 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by lackcreativity
Wish we had known that back in April! I don't know if we will ever make it back there, so I am afraid we have missed our chance.
P.S. Now you have me inspired - I have found some recipes for Domatokeftedes on pinterest. Maybe I will give it a try before the last of the Maryland tomatoes are gone for the year!
Best of luck. I've tried to make them with British tomatoes and it doesn't work. Apparently the Santorini tomatoes are dense and have little water content and that's the secret.