Photography Magazine

I'm an experienced newbie to photograpy. Just bought my first "non-point-and-shoot" grown-up camera. New proud owner of a Sony a7 ii. Actually bought two lenses. I'm beginning to be comfortable taking the camera out of Auto mode.

So, now that I've spent a small fortune on outfitting my gear, I only have enough cash left to afford one photography magazine.

So my question for all you photography experts is, given my level of competence (or incompetence), if you could only subscribe to one magazine, what would it be?

Thanks!

I'm an experienced newbie to photograpy. Just bought my first "non-point-and-shoot" grown-up camera. New proud owner of a Sony a7 ii. Actually bought two lenses. I'm beginning to be comfortable taking the camera out of Auto mode.

So, now that I've spent a small fortune on outfitting my gear, I only have enough cash left to afford one photography magazine.

So my question for all you photography experts is, given my level of competence (or incompetence), if you could only subscribe to one magazine, what would it be?

Thanks!

Congrats on your new toy..

I think you got it backward, hopefully you did a lot of reading both print and or web and then decided what was the best camera and lens.

Print is very old school, youtube videos, web sites and bloggers out there have a ton of information. I suggest you go to any one of many websites the sony ones are full of rabid fans who will more then be willing to help you with your mirrorless addition :D

I am not a big fan of photo magazines, however...

Outdoor Photography is pretty good and may be very helpful for you. You might check out some of the workshops listed in the back..

TO

Lot's above I agree with - to learn features of my new gear, I turn to the internet with How-To video's and articles, latest news, company website for software updates, HERE and Dave's advice/notice's :D!

For general "how to be a better photographer", I cruise my used bookstores for magazines. Usually their 0.50/ea and the articles about composition, techniques, etc. are mostly pertinent to any equipment I may have.

I still enjoy a print magazine a lot - to read by the pool, in waiting rooms (heck with trying to read articles on my tiny phone screen). I just don't have an opinion on any of the current publications out there.

Congrats on the new camera - you picked a winner in my opinion!

None.... I might buy photography books that focus on an area you want to improve in.

And I'd browse sites like dpreview, imaging-resource, photographylife, etc.

The book I'd start with is "Understanding Exposure"

But with the wealth of resources on the internet, I don't see much value to magazine subscriptions.

Hate to break it to you, but the "small fortune" you speak of is only the tip of the iceberg. See https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/07/lenses-dont-collect-the-whole-set/ for a view into what I'm saying.

I'm probably a bit old-school but I do enjoy having a magazine to read as needed. We don't always have to live in a "connected" state. It's kind of like printing images...viewing onscreen only is doing your work a disservice. There is something fundamentally satisfying with a printed image.

Magazines have changed greatly over the years. One that a lot of newer shooters find useful is Popular Photography. I think I had a 3-year subscription for like $12.

American Photo and Outdoor Photographer (though it has greatly diminished IMHO) are both good as well. Many others are geared towards targeted markets and would depend on your interests.

For overall content and learning resources I also really like http://www.kelbyone.com . There is a fantastic collection of On Demand content covering just about anything you can think of, and it's presented by some very well know and incredibly knowledgeable shooters. Disclaimer: I know a few of these instructors and might be slightly biased.

http://www.creativelive.com is another great resource.

Hope this helps a little

Thanks for the tips everyone! I checked out some of the links. Creative Live looks interesting and so does KelbyOne. I already have Issu on my phone and will check out the photograpy topic.

Peety3 - read the article you posted a link to and have to say HOW DEPRESSING ! ! I think I identified myself as already having started down the slippery slope... :eek:

If I forego print and just join the online world, are there particular favorite bloggers or forums that you subscribe to?

Peety3 - read the article you posted a link to and have to say HOW DEPRESSING ! ! I think I identified myself as already having started down the slippery slope... :eek:

Just try to learn from his mistakes, and you'll be better off. Truly though, his advice is quite good: after your initial kit, you need a "medium" flash, a tripod, and then a cheap "fast" prime lens. Those three pieces will enable so much for you, that very few other potential purchases in that budget could ever do.

if you could only subscribe to one magazine, what would it be?

Thanks!

I've been a long-time subscriber to Photoshop Elements User rvrn though I use Photoshop and Lightroom fairly exclusively. There were many articles in the magazine that was useful and carried over to Photoshop.

That said, I'll let the subscription lapse as I prefer the hard copu and the PE people switched over to a web only magazine. Out of sight, out of mind!

Thanks again everyone! I've been taking an online once a week class since Jan - it goes through June. That's what's gotten me started and caused me to upgrade from my point-and-shoot. Have learned a lot, but still have SO much to learn!

I liked Outdoor Photography as well.....only thing is after about a year they sort of start to repeat themselves. (as do most of the general photo mags).

As a new person I would also stay AWAY from the gear head sites like DPreview. While there can be lots of good info you have to dig through page after page of the chuckleheads arguing about nonsense. (plus the whine about everything....just bring up the whole $10 photoshop/lightroom deal and watch the sparks fly :eek: )