Amazon River Cruise

Sylina.everly

This is a complex topic, as the Amazon is very wide for a very long way from its mouth and then is more like what we usually consider a 'river' to be in the interior. Many ocean cruise lines have cruises that include several days sailing the Amazon as part of Caribbean and/or South American itineraries.

[E.g.: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/from-caribbean-to-amazon/index.html

If you want a more typical 'river cruise' experience, you might start with this Cruise Critic article:

Amazon River Cruises

https://www.cruisecritic.com/amazon-river-cruises/ri/

Thank you. I’ve read some information on it, but I was hoping to hear from real people who had personally experienced it.

Hopefully, I will qualify as a "REAL PERSON"!!?? Below you can see a link to the live/blog that I did three years ago for our Amazon River "adventure" in going a 1000 miles up this amazing river, seeing Manaus and other key sites and sights in this part of Brazil.

But, from what I understand, there are two major options for this general, large region of the Amazon. There are a number of different cruise lines that offer potentials from the Atlantic Ocean and going up this massive river. There are also options from and for smaller portions of the Amazon system to the west of Manaus, including on smaller boat from Peru, etc.

What part of the Amazon and type/size of cruise are you seeking and desiring? Budget and timing flexibilities? Tell us more!!

Below is just a small sampling of my visuals and details from our cruising in this region. Added questions? Please post on my live/blog and I will be happy to follow up, share more, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 55,255 views for these postings.

From our very interesting visit to the small and totally-isolated river village of Boca da Valeria along the Amazon River, it was a very moving experience that reminded us how very, very fortunate so many of us, especially those on this ship, are to have great many life options and experiences. There was a single electric line running down the middle of the dirt path in this village and the two homes with satellite dishes, but things were overall fairly primitive. There were lots of children begging for "one dollar", plus a local dressed up in costume ready to pose for pictures. Some of the children had small animals to add to the appeal and local color. Below is one example of Chris from Philadelphia with one of the local girls there. From advance reading/research on these CC boards, I knew to bring extra dollars, plus pens, pencils, gifts for the school, items for the the kids, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

FebAmazPixBB13_zps8li8pico.jpg

While stopped at Santarem along the amazing Amazon River, we had our charter/private boat arranged in advance. We headed into the back-water Amazonregions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Our skilled Amazon guide Gil Serique was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. We saw lots of special birds, unique animals, flowers, giant water lilies, etc., during this adventure exploration.:

FebAmazPixA14%201_zpswzwufcpx.jpg

Here is just one view that offers only a small sampling for what we experienced and enjoyed at this Parintins “Boi Bumba” program. Lots of the story involves the white bull and the relationships with the young lady. Are not the costume wonderful??? Large cast, lots of upbeat music, large "action figures" coming out, etc. Parintins is situated in the largest river archipelago of the mid-Amazon. This area is rich in centuries-old Indian culture and celebrates an annual “Boi Bumba” festival. The yearly folkloric festival, considered second only to Carnival in Rio, is held in June. For cruise ship visitors, the townspeople re-enact this festival for visitors throughout the year. From Cory Sandler, our destination consultant, what we saw is not exactly the full, real deal as done in their larger stadium with the shouting crowds. BUT, we loved the music, dancing, costumes, excitement, etc. It was not cheap at $149 per person, but my wife and others really enjoyed this sampling for a little bit of the Brazil carnival spirit and style. Of our 179 passengers on the Silver Cloud, there were 80 attending this program.:

FebAmazShowA3_zpsjjbqx7wx.jpg

Don't miss the famed Opera House in Manaus, especially its interior. Here is just one of my visuals as an example. It is said that based on what it cost to build it in the late 1890's, the expenses from importing all of the various materials, etc., that it would total up to a total price tag of ONE BILLION DOLLARS in today's money. Very lavish!! They did a nice restoration of its exterior and interiors during recent years. Looks great. BUT, for all of these costs, it only seats 701.:

FebAmazPixBB45_zpsab2cx6pj.jpg

With all of your time in Manaus, do not miss seeing a range of the interesting activities at their various markets. This includes for those dealing with wholesale fish, produce, etc. Shown is an example from the fish market that was so much fun to experience, sample the human interactions, etc. Lots of "real people" at these markets.:

ManausRealLifeA19_zpscxmhgkyt.jpg

This one visual says it all for the "Indiana Jones" experience we were enjoying as if we were in search of some South American hidden treasure during our hiking in this remote wilderness area about 60 miles north of Manus. Lots of varied nature views and scenic angles, etc., during this walk in the actual Amazon jungle.:

FebAmazRainForA25_zpsvglzgamz.jpg

We cruised with Iberostar roundtrip Manaus, Brazil. It's been several years and there is a review on here that I wrote. We enjoyed it very much and I think that we experienced most if not all of the activities that I see that other cruisers have on other lines.

We cruised with Iberostar roundtrip Manaus, Brazil. It's been several years and there is a review on here that I wrote. We enjoyed it very much and I think that we experienced most if not all of the activities that I see that other cruisers have on other lines.

Can you provide the link? Before posting, I used the search function and nothing specific to the Amazon came up. Thanks in advance!

I guess it's clear to the OP by now that you can cruise different parts of the Amazon from different countries. We came close to doing it from Peru. I did a lot of research with Rainforest Tours and was close to booking for last winter. And then they had the incident with the bandits coming onboard one of the ships and robbing all of the passengers. This kind of put me off, I admit, and we decided to organize our trip differently. But the trips from Peru look really nice, all that aside. There are also trips from Ecuador.

I was on Overseas Adventure Travels Amazon cruise three years ago. I would highly recommend it. It included two nights in Lima, two nights in Iquitos and seven nights on a 24 passenger boat. Each day we ventured into the rain forest to view wildlife and fauna. My highlight was fishing for Piranha and then having the cook fry them for a snack (to few for dinner).

It depends on what you want. We enjoyed a regular cruise ship on Holland America's Amazon Explorer itinerary. It was great. We went as far as Manaus. There were many excursions available, both from the ship and private ones. I'd love to see the upper parts of the Amazon but this was enough adventure for me.....loved it.