E-check program

Oceans&Rivers

From Viking Ocean Cruises' website:

"WHAT IS THE E-CHECK PROGRAM?

Viking offers savings when you pay via e-check (an electronic debit to your checking account), a quick, convenient way to pay for your vacation that is as easy as providing your credit card number. Ask for details when you make your reservation."

I really don't like the above idea at all, for a number of reasons:

1. Credit card is a better payment method for the passenger.

° With a credit card the passenger gets reward benefits

° With a credit card, the passenger has a partner in case of disputes with the cruise line

° With a credit card, the cruise line has no access to information about your checking account

I also do not want passengers to be enticed into using e-check in order to get a discount that I think should be available to all.

Agree. Let me also add the following: E-check is only 2% now. So basically any credit card with a decent rewards program will give you the same 2%. Capital One Venture is a good example: 2% on all purchases.

Credit card is definitely safer vice debit for the consumer with fraud risk exposure and protections.

Understand why they do it though. It costs substantially (% wise) more for the company to process credit (with Amex costing more than VS/MC) than to process debit.

Another benefit of using a credit card versus e-pay is the protection your carrier may provide if the operator goes bankrupt. I placed a deposit on a VS cruise today and my TA said that I should consider purchasing trip insurance (from an outside carrier, not Viking) within 14 days because I'd then get default protection. She then said I should check with Amex, because my Platinum card might offer the same protection. I called Amex, and was told that yes, they'd be on the hook for my full payment if Viking went out of business. Very nice of them!

Gerry

Perhaps some push back here against the E-check idea on a new cruise line could help this practice from seeping into the other cruise lines who may be looking to save on cc fees. I would certainly not move away from my Amex Plat for travel purchases as there are many benefits of using that card for travel.

Aloha from Hanalei.

Viking is not penalizing one for using a credit card, but rewarding those who pay cash. They are a business.

As for protection, I would withdraw my money from any bank that did not have fraud protection in place for checking accounts. Using a bank check is safe, as millions are in the mail as you read this. I have never had my account tapped, but have had numerous issues with fradulent attempts against my credit cards.

Many cards provide lots of travel benefits other than simple fraud protection.

If I had serious issues while on an international trip, I would rather have the international reach and experience of a company like American Express there to help me (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), rather than trying to reach my local bank.

One of my employees had a fraud issue with her checking account at a very large local bank, and it took her some 60-90 days to access the money in question. Banks holding deposits and checking accounts operate under very different rules than credit card companies do.

Several years ago, I had booked a flight on Aloha Airlines on my Amex, and before the flight, Aloha went out of business; it took me one phone call and about 90 seconds to dispute the charge and immediately have it removed from my Amex charges; that would not have happened with my bank, I am nearly 99% sure.

Aloha

Another way to protect your trip investment, and provide medical coverage, is to buy travel insurance. A good policy will cover cruise lines, etc., going bankrupt. While cards may provide other benefits, points, etc., Viking is offering those who prefer to pay on a cash (echeck) basis to share in holding down the company's expenses.

The original purpose of my post remains: Viking is offering this as an incentive; it is not "penalizing" those using credit cards.

I don't think it is the least bit wise for anyone to pay by e-check instead of credit card, and I don't like this particular 2% "incentive".

The company knows well the protections of credit cards to passengers, including the right to dispute charges. Any incentive to dissuade passengers from using a credit card is a bit suspect, in my opinion.

Many, many businesses, especially service businesses, provide discounts for cash or check payments. What are you suspicious about? And if noparanoid, why bother with the question to begin with. Use a credit card, sleep well, and enjoy your trip.

The real secret behind e-check vs credit card has nothing to do with fees Viking has to pay; it's all about when Viking gets it's money. With e-checks, Viking gets paid right away (which is why you often have to pay in full so far in advance with them). When you use a credit card, they have to wait until shortly before departure to receive the cash from the card company (which is just another way the card company protects itself).

With the reduction of the e-check discount from 3% to 2% I don't know why anyone would go that route.

The real secret behind e-check vs credit card has nothing to do with fees Viking has to pay; it's all about when Viking gets it's money. With e-checks, Viking gets paid right away (which is why you often have to pay in full so far in advance with them). When you use a credit card, they have to wait until shortly before departure to receive the cash from the card company (which is just another way the card company protects itself).

With the reduction of the e-check discount from 3% to 2% I don't know why anyone would go that route.

Crystal Cruises offers incentives to cruisers who pay six months in advance (2.5%), but the main thing for many is that they can then make reservations earlier than those who do not pay so far in advance.

Nevertheless, I cannot imagine any Crystal cruiser who would pay with anything other than a credit card.

If the real reason for e-check is to get money earlier, then Viking Oceans should offer something similar to or the same as Crystal Cruises.

Last week, have recommended to Viking (VP of Sales) both in a phone call, by email and via our TA to strongly consider having Viking Oceans join the American Express Platinum cruise benefits program. Wonder if their e check program is a barrier to having Viking join AMX-P cruise program?.

I will never understand how paying for something in cash is wrong. Both the consumer and the company save/make money. Viking does save money in not paying the credit card companies their fee. And if I pay with a card, although Viking doesn't get its money until later, I will have to pay my credit card company before that time.

Someone on here asked why would they give Viking their money a year before travel; I ask, why would you pay it to your credit card company a year in advance? Points are the carrot on the stick of the credit card company; Viking's is cold, hard cash. I would take the cash anytime.

Last week, have recommended to Viking (VP of Sales) both in a phone call, by email and via our TA to strongly consider having Viking Oceans join the American Express Platinum cruise benefits program. Wonder if their e check program is a barrier to having Viking join AMX-P cruise program?.

I hope you and your TA and others are successful.

The whole E-check system annoys me.

I will never understand how paying for something in cash is wrong. Both the consumer and the company save/make money. Viking does save money in not paying the credit card companies their fee. And if I pay with a card, although Viking doesn't get its money until later, I will have to pay my credit card company before that time.

Someone on here asked why would they give Viking their money a year before travel; I ask, why would you pay it to your credit card company a year in advance? Points are the carrot on the stick of the credit card company; Viking's is cold, hard cash. I would take the cash anytime.

We pay for many things with cash, including one important one, i.e. prescription drugs (who wants that info in a credit card company's file?) but want to use our credit card for many other things, and definitely for travel.

With a CC you have some protection especially with AMEX ,what if the ship is not built on time and Viking has $$ whom do you turn to, were taiking about 2yrs out, in these times you can never say never, go with the protection the price is the same either way

There are those who don't have credit cards and at least this e check thing gives them the same 2% discount that I get from AmExp by using their card. Since I have a choice, I like the credit card 2% discount for the reasons expressed in other posts.

Aloha All,

Thinking about this since my first post. Simple issue for me is this:

1. Paying by e-check is paying by cash.

2. If Viking Oceans, for whatever reason, fails to complete the new ship build, those who have paid cash deposits will simply be placed in a long line of unsecured creditors and may never see their money back.

3. Paying with a credit card makes the credit card company, rather than the individual, the creditor. Credit card deposits would be refunded to individuals via the cc company and then the cc company would then pursue compensation from Viking.

This scenario is probably not likely, but possible; thus, I would make the safe bet.

As an aside, five or six years ago, I used my Amex to book a ticket on Aloha Airlines, and they went out business before my flight. Amex immediately credited my account for the charge for the flight.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Still, I am not getting a 2% return on my money in the bank. I have insurance to cover medical AND if the cruiseline goes bankrupt. Besides, if Viking goes under, I would think the economy is in big trouble, so my credit card company might be kaput also.

Those who use credit cards or pay cash -- it is a personal decision, very similar to booking with a travel agent or directly with the cruise line.

Archived